Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:58 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times

Advertisements

— Demand Progress

On Aaron's memorial page,

"Aaron taught us how to use new tools to bend our culture toward our better nature.
It is unspeakably sad that he is no longer with us.
But what he saw that isn’t still might be."

"Like all passionate and visionary people,
he rejected complacency and decided to walk the narrow path.
He will be remembered as an example and an inspiration for all who, around the globe,
believe that freedom is not an electoral nor a rhetorical concept
but the most powerful aspiration for a human being."

http://www.rememberaaronsw.com/

Last edited by ellemint; 01-15-2013 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 02:14 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Maybe the liberals on this forum will finally realize that that the US Government is not the noble Master that they've thought it was all along.

You can cry over the rich...you can cry over taxes....you can cry over foodstamps......you can cry over whatever you want....but at the end of the day the United States Government can snuff you out like you never existed. That's exactly what happened to this guy.

Chew on that for a bit and perhaps reconsider your allegiance to Government Almighty, libs.
Maybe someday you'll finally realize that it's not a good thing to generalize so much, and maybe your enormously negative bias about liberals will be mitigated by some understanding that "liberals" are not all the same (unlike most far right conservatives).

Old 01-15-2013, 02:20 PM

Access to information is where the battles for our freedom are and will be fought in the future. How it is controlled and by whom and for what purposes, good or evil, is of paramount importance.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:20 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times

AARON SWARTZ: DEAD. - YouTube
perhaps you'll watch this perhaps not, but what you should take from this was the fact that MIT which is where he hacked from and Jstore which he hacked into BOTH did not want to press charges. Think of it like this if you came up to me and hit me and the cops arrested you and I did not want to press charges but they decide they are going to try you anyway well how does that make sense ? Don't you need the victim to press charges for there to be an actual crime ?

Old 01-15-2013, 02:21 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Profit doesn't have to be a factor for infringement. By distributing copyrighted material you're devaluing the product. This is a criminal act because of the amount of material.

FYI he broke into a computer system to accomplish this, physically as I understand it from one article. That itself is a felony.
How is this a felony if the "victim" in this case don't even pursuit action against Swartz. It is the US government, the government that suppose to protect their own citizens continued with their harassment that turn into this.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:24 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
These posts are so ironic coming from you, head cheerleader for the overzealous prosecution of George Zimmerman.
The prosecutor in Zimmerman's case has been criticized for overzealous prosecution several times, including in the case where she charged an abused 12 year old as an adult. That's why a lot of people on this forum had reservations about the 2nd degree charges.
And Pam Bondi has been one of the players in the Zimmerman trial as well, but you had no problem with her involvement in that.

Apparently overzealous prosecution is great when you like it.

I personally think both prosecuters should go the way of Mike Nifong.
This thread is not about Zimmerman. I decide what I think about each case individually, based on the information available about the case. However, in fact, I'm much more defense oriented than prosecution. In the Zimmerman case, from what I've read, it is a case that absolutely should have been charged and should go to trial. However, if there's a plea deal in that case, I would have no problem with it. Stop trying to squeeze me into whatever little box you think I belong. You'll most likely be wrong.

I am certainly NOT a Pam Bondi fan nor am I a Rick Scott fan!

Old 01-15-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post

AARON SWARTZ: DEAD. - YouTube
perhaps you'll watch this perhaps not, but what you should take from this was the fact that MIT which is where he hacked from and Jstore which he hacked into BOTH did not want to press charges. Think of it like this if you came up to me and hit me and the cops arrested you and I did not want to press charges but they decide they are going to try you anyway well how does that make sense ? Don't you need the victim to press charges for there to be an actual crime ?

Thanks for posting that. I like the way the Amazing Atheist explained Aaron's motives---the idea that hoarding knowledge only for institutions or the elite, and not allowing the third world, or uneducated, or poor people access to it --- is criminal.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:47 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Thanks for posting that. I like the way the Amazing Atheist explained Aaron's motives---the idea that hoarding knowledge only for institutions or the elite, and not allowing the third world, or uneducated, or poor people access to it --- is criminal.
indeed I always find his videos interesting and very well though out saying that I also completely agree that knowledge/information is something that should be shared freely. I know it was a silly movie and all but hackers I thought had an interesting "slogan" HACK THE PLANET ! is something I could agree with. The kid who died Aaron was a modern day pirate but I think people like him and people like Julian Assange and people like many of the whistle blowers who came before them are the real patriots. And the hoarders of this information should be ashamed of themselves. I don't know about you or any of the other people on this site but I'd like to know more even if that information is "restricted" I believe it is in everyone's interest to know more about what's going on. Add to that I have a deep distrust of our government as well as big business. I applaud organizations like wikileaks for "unblocking the dam" of information and allowing us to know what our government is really doing.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:51 PM

From Jill Godmilow:

" I cannot help thinking that his efforts to free up the decades of academic papers buried in JSTOR was not the issue at all. Rather, I speculate that the persecution he suffered mimics that of Bradley Manning, of Julian Assange and of others who have dared to slip their hands through the high security cages around information… cages that allow governments to feel secure with their secrets, and secure in their control of everything. Why else would the justice department try to force Aaron to his knees with multiple charges – “felonies” – that could have added up to 30 years in prison, for attempting to publish arcane academic articles already published in academic journals? I can think of only one answer – to produce fear… in Aaron and in the rest of us. To deter us from even imagining that this information – any information – should be free to all… in this country and around the world. Yes – we must push fear back. If we don’t, everyone who wants to live in freedom, with justice, is at risk… "

Remember Aaron Swartz

Old 01-15-2013, 03:20 PM

31,046 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
It just makes me sick. With all the slimy Wall Streeters manipulating the market, and Big Pharma hiding clinical trials data that might interfere with its profits, all kinds of white collar criminals ---- who do they go after? Aaron Swartz.
Not to mention Rapist and child abusers who are out in no time at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies