Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,879,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader8 View Post
You actually think that NRA ad warrants serious discussion???

You, sir, are a FOOL...
Then feel free to not say anything at all. The only reason why everyone hates each other is because of people like you, poking and prodding the other side like a 6 year old, which leads to absolutely no constructive discussion whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
This is a non issue. We know for a fact the POTUS and his family (not just Obama..all of 'em) are/have been targets for wackos. It's just a stupid talking point to confuse the easily confuesd.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
arms were guns in 1776.
Swords were too.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There's no way to do that without a complete ban and confiscation???

That's illogical.

We aren't talking about stopping every potential murderer. That's an impossibility. And no one is proposing to do the impossible. Even if we only prevent 50% of these type of crimes, then isn't it worth it? Maybe we couldn't prevent the Newtown shooting, because up to the shootings, the shooter was compliant with the laws, and the proposals being made really don't change that. But the proposals being made might stop another Virginia Tech massacre. Universal background checks? We already do background checks, so what's anti-gun about making such background checks more comprehensive? Better access to mental healthcare? What's anti-gun about that?

As I said, I support the 2nd Amendment. I also don't want to turn on the news and see another mass shooting at a school, or a theater, or a political rally, or a fast-food restaurant, or a post office, or the myriad of locations that such mass shootings have happened at, or could happen at. I don't think that it has to be all or none. Just like everything else that works in our system of government, there is a balance that can be found.
Hey, I never said "it wasn't worth it". I was simply pointing out that we really have no recourse in stopping these gun crimes, because those that will commit the crimes, will get the firearms by any means necessary.

There are 88 guns for every 100 people in this country, "gun control" now is akin to termite prevention in a home which is already falling in on itself. It's illogical to expect any constructive legislation when the arms have already been dolled out.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Swords were too.
Yes, but the principle was that the people were able to organize, arm, and form their own civilian militia should the government (or outside influence) ever violate the constitution and the people are forced to conduct armed insurrection. In this aspect, I really do think the 2nd amendment is timeless.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:54 AM

691 posts, read 771,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Who the hell do the NRA think they are?
The President has shown in actions and deeds that he is genuinly concerned about our children and all Citizens.
The President was voted into office by a majority of the American people to make America safe for all American's.......... the NRA have been voted into nothing........ they only speak for gun owners.
This advert is disgusting and shows that the NRA are morons who only know how to bully and use fear tactics to keep gun sales up so that their friends the ammo and gun makers can make trillions off the blood of good honest American's and our children.
Enough is now enough. Guns are now far too easy to obtain. The NRA want NO restrictions on what kind of guns we can obtain..... well that is how Beirut thinks.
Our Children want us to be adults and protect them. They do NOT want to be in the middle of gun fights in their schools because of lack of decent gun aws here.
Our Children do NOT want teachers with guns but they want bad men without guns..... simple!

Who are the NRA? They control who gets elected and who does not. Harry Reid won his Senate seat due to backing by the NRA against his challenger. In return, Reid put legislation in the ObamaCare bill that prohibits the things Obama is trying to do.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunNut2You View Post
Maybe he wouldn't worry as much if he wasn't a raging idiot with s*** for brains and deception to turn coal into diamonds.
So says a raging idiot.........

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Hey, I never said "it wasn't worth it". I was simply pointing out that we really have no recourse in stopping these gun crimes, because those that will commit the crimes, will get the firearms by any means necessary.

There are 88 guns for every 100 people in this country, "gun control" now is akin to termite prevention in a home which is already falling in on itself. It's illogical to expect any constructive legislation when the arms have already been dolled out.
Those that will commit the crimes will try to get the firearms by any means necessary. That doesn't mean that putting obstacles to make it harder to succeed is fruitless.

The discussion, then, is about the obstacles. The effectiveness of those obstacles. How the obstacles impact legal gun owners.

It seems to me a blanket argument simply isn't adequate for this discussion. Each individual proposal by the President needs to be discussed.

And I think when we do that, we surprise ourselves by finding much more common ground than we expect.

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Only guns for the kings and all the kings men.
Who is more of a hypocrite now, Obama for gun control, or the NRA with a gun video for four year olds?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:57 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Who is more of a hypocrite now, Obama for gun control, or the NRA with a gun video for four year olds?
What's wrong with gun video? A target shooting game is not violence!!!

Baby dolls should be considered as sex toys then, particularly when your daughter undresses them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies