Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 02:54 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I agree with everything you say.
Did you take a nasty fall and land on your head today?

Really you have been a constant nag knee jerker since you came on CD, and are in my top 10 gun grabbers list.
Suddenly agreeing with me may mean you require medical attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 02:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Yeah I know. I guess I'm thinking of the times that kids do give advance warning, like the kid recently who had a hit list of classmates he wanted to destroy, in California. He was expelled from the school for a year, but was then allowed to come back. I think he was the one who critically injured one boy, and was talked down by a teacher. It's almost hard to keep all these shootings straight.
In the case of the Newtown shooting, I recall reading that his mother did keep the guns locked up.
It didn't say how he got them though.

Keeping them locked up is not a failsafe solution.
And no one can make parents take their kid to mental health sessions.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:58 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Well do like i mentioned and get the waiver in SD.....

That one time i got delayed NICS ran out of time and i got the gun anyway......

My biggest fear in life is to go on a hunt.... and have a gun break down I can't fix in a camp, or get parts in time to save the hunt.

Hunting is expensive these days, not counting the beer!~
Well it took em two days, probably just because I moved but who knows maybe their overwhelmed...

I have pretty much all I need but a few Id like to trade... There is a gun show coming up, I like legal private sales and Im sure this show will be busy

Old 01-16-2013, 03:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
One poster a few pages back commented that these shooters "looked crazy".

Yeah I'm gonna go there....

In Nazi Germany people were accused of being Jewish because of their looks.
Yes, it's true. And to prove their non-Jewishness they had to produce 3 generations of baptism certificates for both sides of the family. FWIW the Church honored every request for a baptism certificate from people back then as the people provided all the information they needed for the certificate.

Just thought I'd throw this out there for thinking. Just because someone looks crazy in a photo doesn't mean they are.
If that were the case Einstein would have been locked up for that famous "bad hair day" photo of his.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:29 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Did you take a nasty fall and land on your head today?

Really you have been a constant nag knee jerker since you came on CD, and are in my top 10 gun grabbers list.
Suddenly agreeing with me may mean you require medical attention.

I dunno......

Old 01-16-2013, 03:42 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In the case of the Newtown shooting, I recall reading that his mother did keep the guns locked up.
It didn't say how he got them though.

Keeping them locked up is not a failsafe solution.
And no one can make parents take their kid to mental health sessions.

Thank you, for just stating a obvious that isn't obvious even to some Parents.

I have known children and teens who were taken for being mental, but were not. It takes proper testing sometimes from many different Doctors

Many children and teens have gotten off as violent, or with behavior problems, but turn out to have mental issues, again, who is going to determine the level of mental illness which is different in each individual..

Some of these mental patients do well with medication, while others do not.

One of my best friends is a shrink, and yes we talk about many different subjects this is one of them, our mentally ill. Without proper treatments or medication, some of these mental patients, will never get the help that they need. And so much of the time, it is a underlying illness that many people will take for a mental issue.

The person who killed my cousin, was neither, he was a cold hearted bastard, that was looking for drug money, and things to turn in for money. He was not planning on my cousin being home, but that did not stop him from killing him. I loathe him for taking him much too early.

The thing i do not want to see happen, is people who commit these henious crimes, these cold hearted mean spirited people, say they are suddenly mental. I do not want to see this happen.

As this person who murdered my cousin in his own home stated, anyone who got in his way, would be killed, so this was planned and not a mental issue.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Oh, cry me a river. I'm probably going to have to start shooting clays with my great grandpa's shotgun because we can't get a grip on a few kids with their brains wired wrong. It's been said millions of times, but guns don't kill people, people do. Lock the little jerks up, throw away the key. Deal with it somehow for pete's sake, we have a problem.
I hear that........ 1 crime with a gun, used or not, and you get life, no parole, the only way out is death of either natural causes or a selection a criminal may be offered to reduce boredom

1 time 0 tolerance.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Well it took em two days, probably just because I moved but who knows maybe their overwhelmed...

I have pretty much all I need but a few Id like to trade... There is a gun show coming up, I like legal private sales and Im sure this show will be busy
If i were going to a gun show and had guns to sell I would tell the buyer you want to go thru a FFL dealer, and the buyer would pay or you would pay about 20 bucks.

You could pay if you feel good about it or you could split the fee which is usually 20 bucks.

FFL guy logs the gun in, calls NICS, and then logs the gun out. The buyer does a 4473 form and so long as he is good to go he is....

A buyer that turns down a deal like that walks in my book anyway..

I only do face to face with guys I have personally known no less than 5 years. I keep paper on them too.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Thank you, for just stating a obvious that isn't obvious even to some Parents.

I have known children and teens who were taken for being mental, but were not. It takes proper testing sometimes from many different Doctors

Many children and teens have gotten off as violent, or with behavior problems, but turn out to have mental issues, again, who is going to determine the level of mental illness which is different in each individual..

Some of these mental patients do well with medication, while others do not.

One of my best friends is a shrink, and yes we talk about many different subjects this is one of them, our mentally ill. Without proper treatments or medication, some of these mental patients, will never get the help that they need. And so much of the time, it is a underlying illness that many people will take for a mental issue.

The person who killed my cousin, was neither, he was a cold hearted bastard, that was looking for drug money, and things to turn in for money. He was not planning on my cousin being home, but that did not stop him from killing him. I loathe him for taking him much too early.

The thing i do not want to see happen, is people who commit these henious crimes, these cold hearted mean spirited people, say they are suddenly mental. I do not want to see this happen.

As this person who murdered my cousin in his own home stated, anyone who got in his way, would be killed, so this was planned and not a mental issue.
I think the most dangerous amongst us are the street gangs who have little respect for life. They are sociopaths and many sociopaths can pass any mental exam with flying colors. The mentally ill, unless they are prone to violence, do not belong in a registry. What a sad state we have become and I don't think I care for the direction we are going at all.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
The implementation of a mental illness database for gun purchases is daunting. But I would say one of the criteria that should be adopted is violent ideation or actions --- so if a person reveals to a psychiatrist that they are having thoughts of killing others, then they will be put on that list.
We DO have a breakdown of our mental health system here in this country.

My brother has serious mental illnesses. They didn't manifest till he was already an adult and had moved out of my parents' home. Then he married and enabler and moved even further away, so the seriousness of his issues wasn't really apparent to his immediate family till he was in his thirties.

We knew he had several guns.

At that point, we contacted our local mental health department, and were told that it "it's not against the law to be crazy." We were also told that we could not commit him, or even open any sort of investigation, until he made SPECIFIC threats to us or the public or himself. In other words, he couldn't just say "Sometimes I just feel like dying." He couldn't just say, "When I go out, I'm taking a lot of people with me." He couldn't just say, "When they come and get me, they better be prepared to meet their Maker." No. These threats were not specific enough. And not only that - the only person who could have him involuntarily committed at this point was his next of kin - his wife.

So, we met with his wife in private and BEGGED her to force him, in some way, to get professional help - just call the health department and tell them she was his wife and he needed a psychological evaluation and here was why - they would do it. Several hours and many tears later, she refused.

Fast forward six years and two "nervous breakdowns" later and they're divorced and he's sitting in jail facing felony charges, on suicide watch and in solitary confinement.

At least now - FINALLY - he is unable to legally own a gun. Though for the life of me, I don't know how anyone is really going to be able to prevent him from accessing a gun when he gets out. Local law enforcement told us just the other day, "We can't protect you or the public from him. All we can do is RESPOND to an emergency. So we recommend that you arm yourselves and be mentally and emotionally prepared to protect yourselves from him. And the next time we have a run in with him, we're going to probably have to shoot him."

He will almost certainly be out on the streets again in a couple of years. And no one can force him to continue to take the meds he needs in order to control his behaviors and psychoses.

There's GOT to be a better way to handle this sort of person!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies