Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 04:53 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times

Advertisements

We can all breath a sigh of relief...... for now. My guess is that the next date we'll have to worry about is Feb. 12 when Obama gives his State of the Union adress. When he finds some of the major points of his plan will likely fall on deaf ears in congress, he may pull out the ol' Executive Order pad again and just do what he wants.

As far as todays executive orders? I don't really have a problem with any of them. He didn't attempt to operate outside of the scope of his power and thats what counts. I don't have a problem with him proposing an AWB either, not that I would support it's passage. He can propose anything he wants and then, let representative gov't work like it should.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:02 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
'

Right - and he specifically repealed that section of the healthcare bill in one of the slew of executive orders he signed today.
You people are in full blown fantasy land. It was not in the bill. Statutory law cannot be repealed by executive order.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
There is nothing wrong with this list.

-From a responsible gun owner.
So Obama has moved on from the 2nd Amendment to the 4th Amendment.
For libs I expect that statement makes no sense, for Americans who understand our country, culture and government it concerns them.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I for one will absolutely refuse to answer any questions from my doctor that are in any way related to gun ownership. Period.

Of course, they're likely to then "tag" me as mentally ill - paranoid you know.
That is your right, but hey, work that righteous indignation for all it's worth. Why should a physician be worried about their patient's state of mental health or for the safety of the patient, their family, or the public at large?

IF a doctor brings up the subject of guns, you can probably bet they suspect you may be somewhat...oh, how shall I put this....unstable. Potential threat to self or others.

Paranoia is merely one component of it.

Think of it this way: the bartender who knowingly serves drinks to someone well beyond the point of intoxication may be liable for any subsequent vehicular accident once the patron leaves the bar. Likewise, a physician who suspects their suicidal patient might do something to harm themself may be liable for not taking the time to rule out that patient's easy access to a firearm or other means of self-harm.

Seriously....back the heck away from the kool-aid. Stuff will rot your brain.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
That is your right, but hey, work that righteous indignation for all it's worth. Why should a physician be worried about their patient's state of mental health or for the safety of the patient, their family, or the public at large?

IF a doctor brings up the subject of guns, you can probably bet they suspect you may be somewhat...oh, how shall I put this....unstable. Potential threat to self or others.

Paranoia is merely one component of it.

Think of it this way: the bartender who knowingly serves drinks to someone well beyond the point of intoxication may be liable for any subsequent vehicular accident once the patron leaves the bar. Likewise, a physician who suspects their suicidal patient might do something to harm themself may be liable for not taking the time to rule out that patient's easy access to a firearm or other means of self-harm.

Seriously....back the heck away from the kool-aid. Stuff will rot your brain.
The doctor is running a business. Protecting it, not YOU, is his utmost concern. As it should be.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
I read the section. It does not prohibit a doctor from asking a patient about gun ownership. The restriction pertains to health plans.
sorta true; it doesn't prohibit asking, but you cannot be required to answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
The reason the restriction is put on group health plans is so that they cannot use gun ownership as an actuarial criteria for calculating premiums.
that's section 4; sections 1,2,3, and 5 have nothing to do with calculating insurance premiums.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:48 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Reason for outrage? Some lawmakers say this is "tyrannical".

Today, the President is announcing that he and the Administration will:

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
Does this list apply to Eric Holder as well?

Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
The problem with doctor's knowing if you have a gun or at least questioning it is that it makes no sense for them to ask and we don't know how that rule will be abused down the road. Let's say another executive order is passed down the road that opens the door for the system to abuse this executive order.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
It's a better list than anything the gun manufacturer funded NRA and their Republican slaves have come up with so far.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
The problem with doctor's knowing if you have a gun or at least questioning it is that it makes no sense for them to ask and we don't know how that rule will be abused down the road. Let's say another executive order is passed down the road that opens the door for the system to abuse this executive order.
Patient: "Doc, this pain is horrible. I'd rather be dead!"

Doctor scribbling in chart: Patient exhibits suicidal thoughts. Recommend revoke firearm privileges.

--------------------

Patient: "Are there any side effects to this drug? "

Doctor: "1 in 50 million had thoughts of suicide. You'll be fine."

Uncle Sam to Doctor: "I want a list of everyone taking drugs with suicide as a side effect or we cancel your reimbursements."

--------------------
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies