Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

It's an ongoing problem that tends to drive us gun nuts crazier than we already are, but nobody ever seems to ask why. Why, after 20 years of debate, can't journalists who make their living with words, comprehend the difference between a clip and a magazine? Yesterday I noticed an AP news story that featured a new appellation: it called the guns banned by the ban of 1994 "high grade" weapons:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...sey=nav%7Chead
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
Reinstating the assault weapons ban. A 10-year ban on high-grade, military-style weapons expired in 2004.
What does it even mean? Who knows? "High grade" to me carries the connotation of expensive, but the 1994 ban included such guns as the SKS and Tec-9 hardly "high grade" by any conceivable standard. The reporter must have had something else in mind. Who knows what?

Sometimes the phenomenon becomes laughable. I heard an NBC reporter named Bob Constantini talking after the Aurora, CO shooting. The reporter referred to the shooter's drum magazine as an "ammunition barrel." No such thing exists. He obviously had no idea what he was talking about, yet he didn't let that stop him from babbling on. Why?

I have a theory about this, which is basically that media and anti-gun advocates largely operate with what they have learned about guns from Hollywood. And Hollywood deals in imagery, not hard, cold, nuts & bolts knowledge. When the topic of guns arises, logic & analysis circuitry shuts down. The right brain, the image processor, takes over. How else do we explain this consistent idiocy when it comes to guns? How do we explain a professional NBC reporter stringing together words without having the slightest idea of what they mean?

If I am right here, it carries certain implications as to the best way to argue gun-related issues with these people. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 01:44 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
What do I think? I think you're dead on.

The entire debate is filled with hyperbole about "weapons of war" and "slaughter of babies" among other things. None of which lead us to any more comprehensive factual knowledge. The logical disconnect from point A to point B is often overwhelming, but that doesn't slow them down.

How often do we see ignorance of even the most basic facts, such as the difference between a full and semi automatic weapon? Even the definition of an "assault weapon" has been stretched far beyond any reasonableness.

Interestingly enough though when referring to an AWB, the anti-gun crowd flashes a picture of an AR15, not a 9mm compact with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds. Imagery sounds about right.

Such blatant dishonesty can only be the result of two things: underhanded manipulation or a complete lack of the ability for logical thought.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,806,250 times
Default Why do media/gun control advocates have so much trouble with simple nomenclature?

They know they are talking about neutuered poesur "weapons of war" that aren't as powerful or dangerous as they want everyone to believe so they have to rely on people's ignorance to get their agenda across.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
They know they are talking about neutuered poesur "weapons of war" that aren't as powerful or dangerous as they want everyone to believe so they have to rely on people's ignorance to get their agenda across.
Do they know? I'm sure the higher ups know, but the rank and file doesn't seem to.

There's no scrutiny. Politician calls something an assault weapon and flashes a picture of a scary looking rifle on the screen, that's it. Assault weapons are bad. And anything qualifying as an assault weapon as defined by the higher ups is now bad as well.

It's but one single symptom of a culture obsessed with TV, flashing images, and clever one liners.

Critical thought is antiquated.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:06 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,781 times
I'm one of those awful anti-gun people. I've never laid a finger on a gun, let alone fire one. Obviously I do not own one, nor do I have any desire to own one. Truth to be told, I'm actually terrified of guns, even when I see them being carried by law enforcement.

So I would venture that some of the reason that the incorrect terminology is being used is simply that people do not know the correct terminology. Which is definitely true in my case. A lot of people who are in favor of gun control have simply not been around guns. My own household growing up was absolutely gun free. Therefore, I do not have any experience with guns, other than fear. (My own mother was irrationally afraid of guns.She would duck down in the car if we passed hunters.)

However, during this most recent debate concerning gun control, I'm trying desperately to understand why people are so fascinated with guns. I was talking to a friend who is a gun owner, and she was trying to explain a few things to me about some of the technical aspects of guns. I don't completely understand it, but am making an effort to understand. Likewise, she made an effort to understand my point of view.

At some point (when the weather here is warmer), I would like to have the opportunity to at least fire a weapon in a safe, controlled manner to see what the big attraction is. Do Sportsmen Clubs have events like this? Where might I be able to do this?

The NRA would be serving its members in a more responsible way by reducing the rhetoric and lowering the volume, and offering a lot more in terms of educating the public about guns. What is needed is a Guns-For-Dummies program.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:09 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
im waiting on the media and liberal idiots to start calling guns Murder Factories.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 PM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I'm one of those awful anti-gun people. I've never laid a finger on a gun, let alone fire one. Obviously I do not own one, nor do I have any desire to own one. Truth to be told, I'm actually terrified of guns, even when I see them being carried by law enforcement.

So I would venture that some of the reason that the incorrect terminology is being used is simply that people do not know the correct terminology. Which is definitely true in my case. A lot of people who are in favor of gun control have simply not been around guns. My own household growing up was absolutely gun free. Therefore, I do not have any experience with guns, other than fear. (My own mother was irrationally afraid of guns.She would duck down in the car if we passed hunters.)

However, during this most recent debate concerning gun control, I'm trying desperately to understand why people are so fascinated with guns. I was talking to a friend who is a gun owner, and she was trying to explain a few things to me about some of the technical aspects of guns. I don't completely understand it, but am making an effort to understand. Likewise, she made an effort to understand my point of view.

At some point (when the weather here is warmer), I would like to have the opportunity to at least fire a weapon in a safe, controlled manner to see what the big attraction is. Do Sportsmen Clubs have events like this? Where might I be able to do this?

The NRA would be serving its members in a more responsible way by reducing the rhetoric and lowering the volume, and offering a lot more in terms of educating the public about guns. What is needed is a Guns-For-Dummies program.
Even though we are on the opposite sides of this debate I have to tell you that I wish more of the "anti" gun people were as rational as you. I also agree a lot of this mess is due to lack of knowledge on the subject other than video games and media.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:

MANY gun ranges have classes and will provide a firearm for you to use. check out the local gun ranges. you might find something very interesting and learn some cool new stuff.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
We are all ignorant on certain topics. The difference is that some of us don't charge ahead blindly on the issue full steam when someone on the idiot box tells us to.

A precursor to any type of political advocacy should be a basic understanding of the topic being discussed. Anything less is irresponsible.

On a side note, most gun nuts in my experience would be very happy to spend time answering any questions you may have.

Quote:
Go to nrainstructors.org and find an instructor who will accompany you to a local range. Better yet, some ranges also have their own instructors available on site. Most will rent you a gun for your time there.

Keep in mind however that for many of us the recreational aspect takes a back seat to the larger issue of rights.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:17 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,233 times
Quote:

You know, that's not a bad idea. With how charged things have become, I think it would be a great idea for sportman/gun clubs and gun ranges to do some public eduction classes. Target (no pun intended) the anti-gun crowd and give them some live presentations on the differences between legal weapon options. I think it'd give both sides a little more perspective so we move beyond just calling each other crazy.

BTW, I'm also for an assault weapons ban, but I wouldn't classify myself as anti-gun. While I currently don't own a gun, as I feel my family is safer without one in the house, I grew up in a hunting family. Took hunter safety as a 12 year old, and have shot many rifles and shotguns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies