Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,311,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
West Virginia is one of the poorest states in the USA, predominantly White, and this state solidly voted Republican.
So it suprises me that they would vote a klansman as much as Louisana entertaining david duke

Old 02-21-2013, 08:41 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,529,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
So it suprises me that they would vote a klansman as much as Louisana entertaining david duke
Actually, both were former Klansmen, one was a Democrat and one was a Republican.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,727,813 times
Quote:
West Virginia is one of the poorest states in the USA, predominantly White, and this state solidly voted Republican.
Which is pretty amazing. I marvel at the way the people that are most damaged by GOP policies, are the first ones in line to vote GOP. It almost seems like a masochistic act.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Which is pretty amazing. I marvel at the way the people that are most damaged by GOP policies, are the first ones in line to vote GOP. It almost seems like a masochistic act.
To be honest, I don't think either party is doing so well. Texas and Wyoming are both Republican states, and are doing much better than West Virginia. Washington state and Minnesota are Democrat states and so is New Mexico. New Mexico is much poorer than Minnesota or Washington.

Actually, what I've noticed is that there is a big political divide in the South. The 9 out of the 10 poorest states might be Republican states. However, not all of them are uniformly Republican. Mississippi is the poorest state in the USA. The counties that voted Republican are predominantly White, and the counties that are predominantly Black voted Democrat. This pattern can be seen throughout the South.

Last edited by green_mariner; 02-21-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 09:34 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,926,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
And if you pledge your loyality to the republicans who really don't want you, you will be used like a 5 dollar W***e!
Kind of like the Left who keep drunk Joe in as VP......guess at times it does keep us from wondering what the hell the President is up to now. Now people are wondering if Hillary has a drinking problem, sounds like working for this President drives his servants to drink more......

Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoooka View Post
They are not on welfare?
Most Blacks are not on welfare, and yet, most Blacks don't vote for Republicans. Think about that for a moment.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,727,813 times
Quote:
To be honest, I don't think either party is doing so well.
Well, the Democrats have had their hands tied for too long. And actually, as long as to run for office in this country requires mega-millions in ads, all politicians will be beholden to the rich. We need election reform big time.

Quote:
Actually, what I've noticed is that there is a big political divide in the South. The 9 out of the 10 poorest states might be Republican states. However, not all of them are uniformly Republican. Mississippi is the poorest state in the USA. The counties that voted Republican are predominantly White, and the counties that are predominantly Black voted Democrat. This pattern can be seen throughout the South.
I live in Fl. Miami is a bastion of Cuban right wingerism, but only the older folks. The younger Cubans are increasingly voting otherwise as they become more assimilated. As one moves north (North Miami, Aventura, Ft. Lauderdale and so on), it's Democratic. As one moves even further up Florida, it depends on whether it's a big city or not. Orlando and Tampa are not that right wing. Small towns where there are more churches than people (well, almost), are right wing. The right wing extremists are strongly found associated with churches, which doesn't say much good about churches.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Yet it was the Democrat Part who had an actual Klansman as a senator. Robert Byrd who in fact was a Klegel ( a Klan recruiter).
What about David Duke? He, like Byrd, was a former Klansman. Guess what? He was a Republican. And David Duke was a Klan member in the 1970s, when he was in his 20s. He started out as a Democrat, but he switched to the Republican Party when he was running for Governor in Louisiana and for Senate. David Duke has an account on Stormfront as well. Robert Byrd later regretted his membership and the KKK and changed. David Duke continued his work with White supremacy.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Well, the Democrats have had their hands tied for too long. And actually, as long as to run for office in this country requires mega-millions in ads, all politicians will be beholden to the rich. We need election reform big time
I can't argue with you on that. Part of the reason politicians aren't doing as much as they should is because too much money is involved. Those with the mega-millions wield the most influence over things. And it isn't just on the top either. It reigns on the lower levels as well. Money is considered power. The money is what answers things. Election reform is necessary. Where to start is the hard part. There needs to be a way to keep outside money from getting involved.

Quote:
I live in Fl. Miami is a bastion of Cuban right wingerism, but only the older folks. The younger Cubans are increasingly voting otherwise as they become more assimilated. As one moves north (North Miami, Aventura, Ft. Lauderdale and so on), it's Democratic. As one moves even further up Florida, it depends on whether it's a big city or not. Orlando and Tampa are not that right wing. Small towns where there are more churches than people (well, almost), are right wing. The right wing extremists are strongly found associated with churches, which doesn't say much good about churches.
Think about this though. In western Mississippi, it's very rural, and there are alot of churches. However, in those counties in western Mississippi, people voted Democrat. Same works for the Black Belt region in southern Alabama and many parts of South Carolina, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia. The right wing didn't find associations with all churches. It didn't find any associations with Black churches.

What you saw in Florida is more typical of the USA than just the South itself.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
They support a colorblind society with emphasis on personal responsibility and intact families, personal choice in healthcare and schools, and a market driven economy with healthy job growth.

The "problem" is that Republicans don't want anything special for blacks. And, to liberals, that qualifies as racism. What Republicans have done to make blacks want to vote for them, is assume they are human beings capable of being responsible and competent just like everyone else. The liberals, on the other hand, preach blacks as victims who are helpless to succeed unless government does it for them. They've managed to equate not supporting special initiatives for blacks as racism against blacks.

Nobody forces 70% of black births to be to single mothers and nobody forces blacks to drop out of school at such high rates. If blacks would stay together and raise their children in two parent households and encourage those children to stay in school, then within a generation you'd see a transformation of the black community. Both of these things, fatherlessness and education, are cultural within the black community and have nothing to do with racism. And both of these things are historically proven to be the major contributors to poverty and lack of opportunity across all races. White communities afflicted with the same problems have the same outcomes. It's not race.

So instead of asking what Republicans can do for blacks that's different than what Democrats are doing for blacks, why not ask what blacks can do for themselves?
Actually, the problem started back in the mid-1960s. Barry Goldwater was against the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act. And then in 1968, Richard Nixon used the Southern Strategy, which was partially orchestrated by Kevin Phillips. Watch this video.

Why Black Conservatives Don't Vote Republican - YouTube

And I would read this link. Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Phillips basically said that he "didn't see a place for Blacks in his party".

And then you have the events as of late. Some of the Republican politicians have said things that have basically alienated Black voters, especially with the 47 percent speech, Ron Paul claims that the Civil Rights Act was bad, and then there are Rick Santorum's comments. You also have some comments from Newt Gingrich.

Newt Gingrich Under Fire For Comments On Blacks And Food Stamps, Freddie Mac Work
Are Republicans Alienating Minorities? - CBS News

Why would I vote for someone who basically says things to insult my intelligence? Stuff that basically makes the assumption that "all Blacks are on welfare".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.