Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 AM

67,637 posts, read 60,153,461 times

Advertisements

Here's my southern, hillbilly, redneck, cowboy family - on the farm in Arkansas, cooking a ham together in a big cast iron kettle for our Thanksgiving dinner.

Look closely.

Now. We're all gathered together in Arkansas, but when the photo was made a couple of years ago, we lived in Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, Virginia, and (random) Korea. My cowboy husband and I aren't in the photo - I was taking the photo and I don't remember where he was! LOL

This very southern family includes, in the generations shown:

Three successful business owners, five combat veterans, fluency in five languages, five distinct ethnic groups, two animal rights activists (and I do mean activists, not just animal lovers), three artists, three people with college GPAs of 3.5 or higher, four children who are under age 10 who are learning Latin, 55 years combined overseas living in Europe, South America, New Zealand, Africa, and Asia, and numerous college degrees and professional certifications.

We also go to gun shows, rodeos, Lynard Skynard concerts, hunting trips, small town Christmas parades, WalMart, church dinners and prayer breakfasts, and Friday night highschool football games. Oh, and art exhibits, video game expos, winery tours, classical music concerts, Ethiopian and Lebanese restaurants, and vacations to Europe and Asia.

But if you saw, say, my dad at WalMart in rural Arkansas, you'd probably think "What an old fart redneck." You wouldn't know that this man owns four homes, has a successful business, and has paid cash for every vehicle he's ever bought. If you saw my husband in the grocery store in Texas, you'd probably categorize him as oilfield trash, because you'd note his steel toed boots and coveralls. You might not realize that some of these good ol' oilfield boys are in the top 1 percent of wage earners - even though their boots are covered in red clay. You might look at one of my daughters while she's walking down the street in Louisiana, and assume, because she's got three little kids hanging on her and a couple of tattoos on her arms, and because she's a woman of color, that she's unmarried and on food stamps. You wouldn't realize that she's got a top secret military clearance and she's just home on vacation - she actually lives in England.

Stereotyping is ignorant.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to look up the directions to the next gun show. After that, I'm going to order that new Darius Rucker CD...and then I'm going to get online and price plane tickets to England for this spring.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 01-17-2013 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 AM

94 posts, read 50,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It means you'll be made fun of by the elitist liberals who think they are smarter and more worldly than everyone else. It also means your most likely not a liberal so if those terms are thrown at you they are a badge of honor IMO.
If some blowhard libotard or some spook calls us that, you should be overjoyed. Thanks you, thank you very much.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:17 AM

9,879 posts, read 7,978,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandochuck View Post
For the last 25 years I have lived in the south and love the southern lifestyle. I visit eastern Washington State and Idaho once a year and it is there that I meet more "cowboy types"
Seriously, Orlando ??? the South Not everything is fried in the south...

They have a LOT of rednecks in Idaho.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:35 AM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
Geographically, CA is about 90% Country.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 AM

19,360 posts, read 12,012,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Geographically, CA is about 90% Country.
I would think it would be tough to be a cowboy and live in that state.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:59 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,866,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Simply because they do get things done and not wait on the government to do it for them.

I cannot believe that lefties still think its ok to put these people down. People that go to work and pay taxes yet it is not ok to look down upon those that don't because they are more comfortable taking all that those dollars provide and not contributing.

These people are looked down upon because they don't want their guns taken. Funny, I haven't seen these types committing mass murders.

Yet the party of tolerant is so intolerant of these types. What a world.
Also adding: not one has been a member of the Tea Party or an NRA member........

Old 01-17-2013, 09:59 AM

4,244 posts, read 7,135,159 times
Quote:
Rednecks, hillbillies, southerners, cowboys, country, etc..... what do those things mean, and is there really any differ

To me they mean different things, or some can mean similar things.

I would never confuse a cowboy with a hillbilly. There might be an overlap btw a hillbilly and a redneck, though.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 AM

4,244 posts, read 7,135,159 times
Quote:
I would think it would be tough to be a cowboy and live in that state

When I lived in the Bay Area...near Vallejo...there was a lot of range land in the foothills around there (this is at the Valley side of the coast ranges), and yes there were real live cowboys working this area. I saw a few at a bar in Suisun City (this was 25 years ago, though). Historically, California was big ranching country and still is a bit.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:05 AM

94 posts, read 50,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post

When I lived in the Bay Area...near Vallejo...there was a lot of range land in the foothills around there (this is at the Valley side of the coast ranges), and yes there were real live cowboys working this area. I saw a few at a bar in Suisun City (this was 25 years ago, though). Historically, California was big ranching country and still is a bit.
I disagree, no real cowboy or redneck would live in the land of tree huggers, bedwetters, pixi dust and rainbows.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:07 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,866,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. It doesn't impact you, and won't impact me as long as you stay far, far, far away. Please. Thank you.

No kidding. I can't imagine how hideous it must be to live like swarming cockroaches on a 3 week old pizza. I'll take a 2500 sq ft house on 2.5 wooded acres any old day.

Disgusting people in crowded cities. Ewwwww.
I hear New York is over running with rats.....it amazes me that people are willing to pay high prices and taxes to live among rats. My border collie doesn't allow rats or voles to enter her property.

City life........even Zsa Zsa Gabor found that the country life was the life to be!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies