Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:43 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Do you agree that prohibition creates violence from a blackmarket and that the many shootings that occur from cartels and gangs are because of bans and prohibition? Do you agree that there wouldn't be as many shootings if the gangs didn't fight over illegal trade of drugs?

Do you agree that hardly any political party or certain self interests profiting from prohibition want to end the current drug war even though it causes these problems but instead proposes even more prohibition?

You keep answering my questions with a question, just answer these direct questions.
I have seen prohibitions work, and fail. But you seem to believe that prohibitions fail. So, you must also believe that we should not have ANY law that restricts ANY individual from purchasing/owning/producing... ANY thing.

Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 01:47 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,384,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I have seen prohibitions work, and fail. But you seem to believe that prohibitions fail. So, you must also believe that we should not have ANY law that restricts ANY individual from purchasing/owning/producing... ANY thing.

Right?

No not true. However since a war on drugs does hardly anything to stop availability and does create violence, I suggest for one legalizing MJ and working on ending the demand side of drugs instead. Instead of banning guns I propose trying to tackle why too many people lack self love and respect for themselves and others that it leads them to feel so much evil and hatred that they murder.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
No not true. However since a war on drugs does hardly anything to stop availability and does create violence, I suggest for one legalizing MJ and working on ending the demand side of drugs instead. Instead of banning guns I propose trying to tackle why too many people lack self love and respect for themselves and others that it leads them to feel so much evil and hatred that they murder.
I would agree on marijuana, and a sane revision to drug laws if not a full repeal. The question was, if you believe restrictions of any kind always fail, do you support elimination of all restrictions?

Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,200,864 times
Quote:
I thought it was the NRA that wanted to consider mental health problems as an issue:
"We have a mental health system in this country that has completely and totally collapsed. We have no national database of these lunatics"
- LaPierre Administration, NRA (via "Meet the Press")
This. The NRA is the group who opened the barn door a mile wide on gun violence being a public health issue...

Old 01-17-2013, 01:54 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,603,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
I am of the opinion that legal gun ownership is not a health care issue.
You're the one who brought up bullet wounds and by your logic anything that can be used as a weapon would qualify as a 'health care' issue.

Shall we classify the following as health care issues?

- Knives (how about forks too - they're pointed)
- Automobiles of course
- paper (paper cuts are horrendously annoying)
- water (definitely an issue - you know how many people drown p/year?)
- boats (we have cars and water, makes sense to include boats)
- ATV's, Motorcycles, airplanes (basically any motorized equipment run by or made to transport people)
- Dogs! (Dogs bite people, and they actually intend to do it!)

Should we go on or do you begin to recognize how ridiculous your statement is?
You watch: "Health care" under Obama is going to be the justification for an unprecedented expansion of federal powers and control into everyday life. Everything you do can be spun as a "health" issue - mental health, emotional health, physical health, spiritual-moral-ethical health. The feds will demand a healthy population with both "health" and "population" defined by HHS. Hold on, it's going to be a wild ride.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:21 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,384,844 times
Quote:
I would agree on marijuana, and a sane revision to drug laws if not a full repeal. The question was, if you believe restrictions of any kind always fail, do you support elimination of all restrictions?

I believe there are already enough restrictions even too many, but I am not against all restrictions like a felon not being able to own a gun but then again too many laws are a felony specially if it involves MJ though more are becoming less than a felony in time. Violent criminals?, I think restrictions on them are ok. I do not support bans on a classification of a gun though. I do believe prohibition ALWAYS fail, unless you are willing to take a extreme Taliban type approach (death for being caught with a MJ cigarette or bottle of rum for example) but that would be loosing our soul of freedom to do so.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I believe there are already enough restrictions even too many, but I am not against all restrictions like a felon not being able to own a gun...
But why support such restrictions when you seem to know they don't work?

Old 01-17-2013, 02:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
A bullet wound is, a gun is not.

The same way a cracked skull is a health issue, but the hammer that did it is not.

A stab wound is a health issue, the knife is not.
Since the mantra seems to be that guns don't kill people, people blah, blah.... Then I suspect dealing with why PEOPLE kill themselves and others with guns just might be a health issue and one that NRA types might be happy for someone to deal with.

But nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,217,844 times
It is a health issue because pro gun stances are in the ACA.Since they arein the ACA they would be law. Since they are law some of the EOs violate that law. Pelosi passing a law she did not knowing what was in it makes it a health care issue

Old 01-17-2013, 04:12 PM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
So many drunken driving accidents should probably require that those purchasing large amounts of alcohol should have their cars taken away. Or maybe just have limits on how much alcohol a person can buy. And food. A person of size should not be allowed to buy more food than a normal person can consume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies