Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:36 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

When I took my son to a new doctor for an annual physical, I was asked, "Do you have a smoke detector?", "Do you have a carbon monoxide detector?" "Do you have a gun?" What? I was in shock! I called and talked with the hospital admin after the appointment and she said they are required by the government (funding) to ask that question. If I have something that is legal it is not of their business and if I have something illegal, well, I'm smart enough not to share that information. It was asked in a way that appeared to be trying to catch me off guard and that made it extra offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 05:46 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I thought it was the NRA that wanted to consider mental health problems as an issue:
"We have a mental health system in this country that has completely and totally collapsed. We have no national database of these lunatics"
- LaPierre Administration, NRA (via "Meet the Press")
Is that the best you can do?
Apples and Oranges?
A non-sequitur?

This thread is not about the NRA or their position on mental health.
This is about the Obama Administration attempting to make guns themselves a health issue.

Which brings up another point.
If a doctor ever asks me anything about guns as an adult and aware of myself and my rights I will frankly tell him/her in no uncertain terms to go F themselves and find another doctor.

I think this is primarily aimed at doctors and their 'confidential' relationship with children encouraging them to pry into the lives of their parents.

Kinda like encouraging kids to 'spy' on their parents.
Reminds me of another group at another time called 'Brown Shirts'.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
It never ceases to amaze me how ridiculous some people make the whole gun legislation thing sound. People keep parroting some bogus notion of "government is trying to take away your guns" as if citizens are going to be left without pistols and shotguns and only have rocks and bows and arrows and knives left.

I say get over it already. So you don't get to have surface to air missles or rocket propelled grenades or automatic and semi automatic 100 round clips or gatling guns. Big flippin deal. You still get to bear arms, bear pistols and shotguns and rifles. Stop acting as if the 2nd amendment gives Americans the right to own any mechanical device that can fire projectiles. And stop pushing the bogus implication that government is trying to take away all our guns everytime somebody talks about gun legislation and restrictions. Folks need to get a clue.

And also people who believe the use of guns in America has no impact whatsoever on Americans' health need to get one too.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
When I took my son to a new doctor for an annual physical, I was asked, "Do you have a smoke detector?", "Do you have a carbon monoxide detector?" "Do you have a gun?" What? I was in shock! I called and talked with the hospital admin after the appointment and she said they are required by the government (funding) to ask that question. If I have something that is legal it is not of their business and if I have something illegal, well, I'm smart enough not to share that information. It was asked in a way that appeared to be trying to catch me off guard and that made it extra offensive.
Why would any of those questions be offensive to you?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Is that the best you can do?
Apples and Oranges?
A non-sequitur?

This thread is not about the NRA or their position on mental health.
This is about the Obama Administration attempting to make guns themselves a health issue.
Then ask NRA to get the heck out of guns and health issue.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
A bullet wound is, a gun is not.

The same way a cracked skull is a health issue, but the hammer that did it is not.

A stab wound is a health issue, the knife is not.
Actually, that's not true.
When you view trauma in the dynamic of a disease model (which they, the surgeons, do), you absolutely have to include things like car safety and gun safety and its subsequent regulation.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Paranoid much?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:35 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Your son is on CHIP/Medicaid administered by your state government and subject to those questions by law. If you don't like it, why not choose private insurance instead?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Then ask NRA to get the heck out of guns and health issue.
I'm not even a member of the NRA.
Why should I ask them to do anything?

And how does this have anything to do with this thread?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Well I guess making it a health issue is one way to get around the 2nd amendment.
Next they will be calling it a threat to national security which is the carte blanche for all legislation to fly through Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies