Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,020,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I heard some time ago that they will be required to ask that question when Obamacare goes into force. Some doctors have even said that this is the reason they are going to retire at that time. Mine won't since she is only about 40 and still has children to support. She won't get any other answer from me other than "It is none of your and Barack's business".
Is your doctor a psychiatrist cause I don't know why any other doctor would ask you if you had guns. Heck, I bet most people can just look at you and tell you are a gun owner without needing to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 08:45 PM

524 posts, read 398,518 times
The only time it is relevant for any type of health care professional to inquire about guns in a patient's home is if the patient has specifically expressed suicidal thoughts or ideologies, or if they have stated that they intend on harming someone. In this situation, not only would guns be explored, but all weapons would be asked about.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:40 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,609,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
The only time it is relevant for any type of health care professional to inquire about guns in a patient's home is if the patient has specifically expressed suicidal thoughts or ideologies, or if they have stated that they intend on harming someone. In this situation, not only would guns be explored, but all weapons would be asked about.
It would be relevant if there are children in a home for a pediatrician to make sure parents are securing their guns safely, given the hundreds of accidental firearm injury and deaths of children each year.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
It would be relevant if there are children in a home for a pediatrician to make sure parents are securing their guns safely, given the hundreds of accidental firearm injury and deaths of children each year. Also if there is a high incidence of drugs and alcohol abuse in the home, since guns and alcohol are a bad combination. And if there are signs of domestic violence or risk of suicide.

So yes, there are many reasons a doctor might ask about guns in the home out of concern for the health and well-being of a patient and their family.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:48 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,129,816 times
Default Asked and Answered!

What is this thread, a red herring? The issue has been decided in federal court.

An NRA-backed law in FL said that doctors were barred from asking patients if they owned funds. Yes, the self-same group which gets up on its hind legs and whines about 2nd amendment constitutional rights saw fit to have its minions pass a law contravening the First Amendment. Doctors sued and the federal courts told FL to cut it out.

Quote:
In a victory for Florida pediatricians and family physicians, a federal judge has blocked a state law that restricted physicians from asking patients if they have guns at home, calling the measure unconstitutional.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott on June 1 approved the National Rifle Assn.-backed law. Under the legislation, physicians who asked patients about gun ownership without justification, entered unnecessary information about such ownership in medical records or discriminated against gun-owning patients faced possible sanctions by the state medical board.

The NRA and others said asking patients about guns in the home was a violation of privacy.
Federal judge bars Florida 'don't ask' gun law - amednews.com

Should doctors have the ability to ask about guns? The federal courts say yes. Should doctors ask about guns? Pediatricians say yes.

The NRA was just mindless on this issue.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:53 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,925,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
"Should doctor's have the right when I go for a check up to ask me if I've got any guns in my house no I don't think that's none of their business," said Tenpenny.
First and most obviously, a doctor has the RIGHT to ask you any damned question that he likes, just as you have a right not to answer it.

Is it ethical and medically wise for a doctor to ask if you own a gun, in some cases it is critical. If you suffer from PTSD or even minor depression the drugs that are prescribe to treat those issues can in fact cause deeper depression and excite thoughts of suicide. A doctor prescribe those drugs might advice that you remove the guns from your home for a period of time or look for alternative treatments.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
What is this thread, a red herring? The issue has been decided in federal court.

An NRA-backed law in FL said that doctors were barred from asking patients if they owned funds. Yes, the self-same group which gets up on its hind legs and whines about 2nd amendment constitutional rights saw fit to have its minions pass a law contravening the First Amendment. Doctors sued and the federal courts told FL to cut it out.

Federal judge bars Florida 'don't ask' gun law - amednews.com

Should doctors have the ability to ask about guns? The federal courts say yes. Should doctors ask about guns? Pediatricians say yes.

The NRA was just mindless on this issue.
I thought those were just guidelines. How can anyone control what a doctor says in the privacy of the examination room?

Old 01-19-2013, 04:58 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,909,003 times
I go to the range with my cardiologist... I don't think he'll ask me...

Old 01-19-2013, 05:00 PM

5,639 posts, read 5,054,971 times
Occasionally when we visit the pediatrician we fill out a form on our daughter's current condition. Early on, I noticed a question on guns in the house that I left blank. The doctor noted that I had apparently forgotten to answer that one. I said "It's no concern of yours." She said it was recommended that thy ask this of parents, to which I replied, "Then let me clarify my response: It's NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS!"

She got the message and has not mentioned since when I leave that blank.

So are doctors going to become de facto agents for the government now in gathering what should remain private information? What would the response be if I facetiously said "Hell yeah! I've got a 6 year old and keep loaded guns in every corner and under every pillow in the house! I've got 25,000 rounds of ammo in her room, a dozen AR-15s which she dresses up like Barbies, and my kid plays with hi-cap mags like others play with Legos! I feed her black powder with her oatmeal!"

How long before CPS would be knocking at my door?

Old 01-19-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
First and most obviously, a doctor has the RIGHT to ask you any damned question that he likes, just as you have a right not to answer it.

Is it ethical and medically wise for a doctor to ask if you own a gun, in some cases it is critical. If you suffer from PTSD or even minor depression the drugs that are prescribe to treat those issues can in fact cause deeper depression and excite thoughts of suicide. A doctor prescribe those drugs might advice that you remove the guns from your home for a period of time or look for alternative treatments.
And I'll bet very few doctors do ask patients about guns when they prescribe anti-depressants, despite the fact that as you note most anti-depressants list increased risk of suicide as a possible side-effect. Otherwise there wouldn't be something like 18,000 suicides from firearms every year. A LOT of those individuals had to have been on anti-depressants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies