Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 10:19 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,923,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
He's not alone. A lot of other posters here don't know anything about NY either.
People view NY as being all NYC and it's not, just as people view Texas as an unpopulated and unsophisticated, uneducated wasteland and it's not.. I personally don't try to correct them that much because I am happy with the size of my state and it's little secrets. I have no axe to grind with NY, Ca or any other state.. I just have my preference....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,062,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No one? I have some friends who have moved here from NY. They love it. Particularly on days like today.
You should learn what "generally speaking" means. Your story is anecdotal.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:44 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,907,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Shows how much you know about the state of Texas... Houston and the coastal region don't get that hot and the majority of the state has very low humidity.. Don't get me wrong, if you are happy where you are, by all means stay there. I wouldn't dispairage your home irrespective of what I thought of it. Probably some of my pre concieved notions about your home would be false too, but I have been to all the 48 lower states out of the 57 and of them all, Texas is my preference.. You want to stay where you are, it won't hurt my feelings a bit...
With Texas calling New Yorkers and Glenn Beck calling for people to move to Texas.......is Texas ready for the flow of people, is Texas lacking in people?

I have to say some of the friendliest people that post on C-D do happen to be from Texas

Old 01-19-2013, 10:58 AM

409 posts, read 496,598 times
Houston is actually quite-"socially" liberal. If I could find a job there, I would move once I graduate. But god I'll miss winter....NOT.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
With Texas calling New Yorkers and Glenn Beck calling for people to move to Texas.......is Texas ready for the flow of people, is Texas lacking in people?

I have to say some of the friendliest people that post on C-D do happen to be from Texas
NOOOOOOO!!!! We already have plenty of people.. It's a really crappy place to live!!!!... Don't move here people!!! Actually we do have lots of room to expand and we are and have been working to improve the infrastructure. We have had a tremendous influx of people and are attracting business from all over the country and the world. The expansion is in all sectors.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronicCoward View Post
Houston is actually quite-"socially" liberal. If I could find a job there, I would move once I graduate. But god I'll miss winter....NOT.
Austin and El Paso are quite liberal too......

Old 01-19-2013, 11:03 AM

39,809 posts, read 26,403,608 times
Quote:
This suits the people there. The people in NY and the people in Texas are two different kinds of people. People in Texas like to hunt and stare into the wilderness. People in NY like to be educated and improve society. Just two different mindsets. Neither state has what the other has and trying to say one is better because of that is just silly.
I'm not sure that Texas is that much better in regard to public land access. I have family there, my understanding is that nearly all hunting is on expensive, private leases. Same with ORVs...they go out of state to ride dirt bikes.

As you said, to each their own. That's the beauty of this country, every state is different, both socially, geographically and politically. Plenty of opportunity for people to find what they want. To me, living in any very large metro area would be hell, but a great many seem to like it. Just like living on twenty acres in the mountains with 1/4 mile to the next neighbor would seem like hell to many.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Food here in Houston is great. The only cities that have better food than us are NYC, LA, San Francisco Area, and Chicago. You can't name me another city though. And while Houston has a lot of chains, we are known for our hole in the wall eats. Whether it comes to great Mexican, bbq, Cajun, Chinese, Vietnamese, middle eastern it's throughout this city. Like I said there are only 4 cities in the USA with better food than Houston.
Any food that you find in Houston, I can find in Phoenix. Houston has good food, sure, but nothing that I can't find in any other southern city.

And by the way...New Orleans has Houston beat by a mile in cuisine. It's not even close. In fact, Louisiana has 10 times better good than Texas does all day long. No competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
This. Going to a show or museum might might be fun once in a great while, but what little time I spent in urban areas I found boring as hell. What they have for things to do just don't interest me for any length of time. I have 20 million acres of National Forest to play in....a little city park? Really?
New Yorkers are a short drive from some pretty pristine lands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam's Cabin View Post
Sure I do, I have a CCW and carry daily. No one ever questions it. I also have a large tactical folder of some kind on me as well as a Victorinox Swiss Army knife. No one bothers me and I'm not restricted to seven rounds either. No '94 or brand new '13 NY AWB in effect here.

I would go nuts in NYC. I'd end up in a fist fight within an hour from some New Yawka tough guy who can't keep his big mouth shut. They specialize in big mouths and attitudes there. Some rural boy needs to help them shut it.
...and you'd proceed to getting your ass whipped. If you're lucky, they might just pimp slap you and let you stand there and cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Shows how much you know about the state of Texas... Houston and the coastal region don't get that hot and the majority of the state has very low humidity.. Don't get me wrong, if you are happy where you are, by all means stay there. I wouldn't dispairage your home irrespective of what I thought of it. Probably some of my pre concieved notions about your home would be false too, but I have been to all the 48 lower states out of the 57 and of them all, Texas is my preference.. You want to stay where you are, it won't hurt my feelings a bit...
Houston doesn't get that hot? LMAO...whatever you say. It's one of the stickiest and humid places on the planet come summer. Please.
Quote:
This suits the people there. The people in NY and the people in Texas are two different kinds of people. People in Texas like to hunt and stare into the wilderness. People in NY like to be educated and improve society. Just two different mindsets. Neither state has what the other has and trying to say one is better because of that is just silly.
I think that people everywhere are generally the same. Most Texans don't hunt.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:38 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,058,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Any food that you find in Houston, I can find in Phoenix. Houston has good food, sure, but nothing that I can't find in any other southern city.

And by the way...New Orleans has Houston beat by a mile in cuisine. It's not even close. In fact, Louisiana has 10 times better good than Texas does all day long. No competition.
I've been to Phoenix close to a dozen times and Houston beats it where Phoenix does best: Mexican. Not to mention any asian or middle eastern food which Phoenix does terribly. Or BBQ. Or Cajun. Or even simple things like Pizza joints, fusion type foods or seafood.

And I've been to NOLA more than I can count as I have a lot of friends in that city. NOLA is great for Creole/Cajun but that's about it. Houston is better overall. If I want ethnic food in NOLA, I'm stretching.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:39 AM

Houston doesn't typically get up to 110 is what I was saying.....It usually hovers in the 90's during the summer and gets occassional 100 degree temps, but you're right about the humidity. It is bad in the summer. My overall point however is that it isn't that way throughout the state.. Much of the state is much dryer..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies