Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
Excuse me - but he was not "threating nobody." Carrying a rifle in public IS a threatening action. If someone believes they were at risk, for example - if a water gun was pointed at them, but they didn't know it was just a water gun, then yes that is considered a threat. When you don't know someone's intentions, that is a threat. And how could anyone possibly know with all the whackos in the world?

Saying that if it were a soldier or cop is the silliest argument I've heard. We are accustomed to seeing those people armed. It is not something that would make you fear them. When is the last time a cop opened fire and shot a bunch of innocent people in public?
Scared of your own shadow it seems. Sucks to be you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 11:58 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
What? Doing something that is perfectly legal will cause the government to take action??! You guys got your heads screwed on backwards.
And when everybody gets accustomed to seeing people carrying guns openly in public, like a gun slung over someone's shoulder, how are we to know the difference between a lunatic or criminal and just "ordinary" folks who love to carry their guns openly in public???? Getting accustomed to seeing something like that just provides a great cover for the dangerous people to walk into a crowded event and open fire, killing HUNDREDS before they are killed. Or the criminal who wants to steal things.

IMO it seems those who would support such and idea as carrying guns openly, like a rifle slung over your shoulder, in public places have their "heads screwed on backwards"......

Old 01-18-2013, 11:59 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
I don't call feeling concerned or threatened by a man outfitted with an AR15 and copious amounts of ammo walking towards you in a clothing store being "scared of your own shadow" - I call that prudent judgement.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Zero common sense. Sucks to be you.

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Legal or not, the guy wasn't smart. It is highly abnormal to see someone carrying a gun through a jc penney. How do we, as other shoppers, know whether this guy is off his rocker or not? How do we know if he's just out to prove an assanine point or to slaughter? We don't! You cannot tell what one's intentions are until it might be too late. So if I were in that store and saw that guy, I of would have high tailed it out of there just in case he was about to let loose. At least it would increase my chances of escaping if he should, but in any case I wouldn't stick around to find out.

And to say that we should get used to this, that people should just do this if legal, I have a problem. That is, if such things become commonplace, you wouldn't have a clue if the one out of many around you that are openly carrying a rifle through the store are about to shoot it up or not. However if no one does this, the most obvious clue that someone is a potential threat is the rifle slung on his back! I'm not going to hang around and ask if he's sane or not. I'm not going to stick around and chance it that he's going to unload into the crowds, and then also worry about some wannabe hero will start firing also.

And regarding cops openly carrying while shopping..sure, I see them with their sidearm nkw and then. While they are in uniform. And not with a rifle on their back. If I saw a leo with a rifle on his back while shopping, I'm thinking something is about to go down and I better leave with haste.

Bottom line, what this guy did, and saying there should be more of it, makes no sense and has no benefit.
This whole entire post is based on a Bloomberg world with an anti gun mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
And when everybody gets accustomed to seeing people carrying guns openly in public, like a gun slung over someone's shoulder, how are we to know the difference between a lunatic or criminal and just "ordinary" folks who love to carry their guns openly in public???? Getting accustomed to seeing something like that just provides a great cover for the dangerous people to walk into a crowded event and open fire, killing HUNDREDS before they are killed. Or the criminal who wants to steal things.

IMO it seems those who would support such and idea as carrying guns openly, like a rifle slung over your shoulder, in public places have their "heads screwed on backwards"......
Just do yourselves a favor and become educated. Mainly about the laws of a state. Don't go anywhere open carry is legal and YOU will have nothing to worry about. See, the beauty of rights and laws are that they don't revolve around YOU.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:01 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
I think that people who carry visible firearms are asking for trouble.
Actually, people who photograph others who are carrying on completely legal, safe, and non-threatening actions, and who then try to use their photographs to pretend that person is somehow bad or doing something "wrong"....

...are the ones asking for trouble.

Not the guy carrying the gun and threatening or harming no one.

The fact that some ninny got scared over nothing, isn't they guy's fault. It's her fault.

Has she said anything about seeking help for her problem?

Old 01-18-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I don't call feeling concerned or threatened by a man outfitted with an AR15 and copious amounts of ammo walking towards you in a clothing store being "scared of your own shadow" - I call that prudent judgement.
Would you be just as scared if he had a semi auto .22 hunting "style" rifle with many clips or just the scary looking guns?

Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Yes, screaming FIRE in a theater is indeed an abuse of rights.

So is screaming OH MY GOD A DANGEROUS CRIMINAL in a J.C. Penney store in reaction to someobdy who is doing nothing illegal, who is harming nobody, threatening nobody, and who is being completely polite and cheerful to everyone he meets.

So, magritte, what do you propose we do to Cindy Yorgason for her abuse of the right to speak freely, that you seem to oppose so much?

No, it's not an abuse of rights. If you can't see the difference, I'd suggest your common sense is on vacation.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:04 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
I don't think someone being nervous about a person walking around w/guns hanging out is being scared of your own shadow. I do think feeling the need to arm yourself every single place you go is being scared of your own shadow however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies