Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 07:03 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,306,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Since when did they shut down the "smoke shops?" We still have both "smoke shops" and cannabis clubs ALL over the city - was just at the latter yesterday, LOL. But I agree, it's doubtful that anyone will show up there... unless it's right in the Tenderloin or something, where they literally have to walk past.
The feds shut them all down here, the local police were giving out the permits but now have recalled them all after the feds stepped in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 07:09 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,787,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
The feds shut them all down here, the local police were giving out the permits but now have recalled them all after the feds stepped in.
Well, they're still very much alive & active in San Francisco... we have probably 10-15 just in the city, and another 20+ in other Bay Area towns. Are you in Southern California? My brother lives in San Diego, and said they've mostly (or completely?) been shut down now. Lame.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:41 PM

640 posts, read 459,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
They're much better off in a medically-supported rehab, especially one that includes full psychological counseling and after-care.
And who pays for this "medically-supported rehab that includes full psychological counseling and after-care"???? Tax dollars, the majority of that coming from clean and sober tax-payers, those who get up and go to work and take care of their lives?? Yep, those that make up the largest group of the tax base. Sure, let's let them pay for the poor choices and lifestyles of the addicts. Sure. Why not. Makes perfect sense. I can see it clearly now

Providing addicts with a place to shoot up is just completely and totally ridiculous, in my opinion. I guess just remembering that we're talking about San Francisco (and Gavin Newsom) brings me to a place where I realize that the things of fairy tales, folklore, fiction and mythology take place there and I just kind of have to let that soak in.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:43 PM

640 posts, read 459,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
Actually, I've long been an advocate of government distribution centers for recreational drugs. Let them have all the drugs they want. Get them to coming to their favorite distribution center and when we have them all safely under government control BAM! Overdose all their dumb butts.
Now there's a GREAT idea! LOL

Old 10-20-2007, 08:56 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,067,205 times
Actually, Switzerland did this some time back with great success. The reduction in overdoses, criminality and prostitution I believe all went down.

And at one time, isolated and identified hash and weed locations kept drugs down in Amsterdam.

Non-federally funded programs also exist for Needle Exchange. It too has reduced HIV, hep C and overdoses.

Positive approaches to some negative habits do work, and this may be one of them.

Good for San Francisco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
SAN FRANCISCO - City health officials took steps Thursday toward opening the nation's first legal safe-injection room, where addicts could shoot up heroin, cocaine and other drugs under the supervision of nurses.

Upgrade Browser

Old 10-21-2007, 04:43 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,461,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
There's money in this: done under public health plans...he who get there first will get the lions share of all that money. Our drug culture has been built since the 60's. The 'Beatles' gave it its big start..it's either legal of illegal drugs...take your pick..Its like emptying out the bottom of the barrel. As these places close down in Holland and Europe, they will be needed in other areas of the world...Why not San Fran...Look at it!
It's a disaster...socially, culturally...It's the perfect place for this...It will clean them out of Portland...they will move back south, where they came from....I think I'm for it.

I thnk it's a great idea. Let San Franciso attract all the drug addicts. It's much better for society to have as many as possible in one location. SF wraps their arms around bad behavior.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:43 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,787,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
And who pays for this "medically-supported rehab that includes full psychological counseling and after-care"???? Tax dollars, the majority of that coming from clean and sober tax-payers, those who get up and go to work and take care of their lives?? Yep, those that make up the largest group of the tax base. Sure, let's let them pay for the poor choices and lifestyles of the addicts. Sure. Why not. Makes perfect sense. I can see it clearly now
In the long run, it's probably cheaper than paying for them to sit in jail... still doing drugs, not contributing to society, and becoming part of the system's "revolving door." Not to mention, we'd probably save money by not having to pay for their hospital bills (when they OD or catch a disease). Think beyond today, people!

Old 10-21-2007, 10:44 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,399,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It's like when parents serve alcohol to teenagers because "it's better if they drink at home". Illegal, immoral, dangerous, unhealthy, noodle spined...no doubt it will be a hit in CA.
Next due to MADD's extremist Temperance, you'll demagogue over-21 drinkers. Don't you understand that Prohibition only made America worse, not better?

Old 10-30-2007, 05:30 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,601,159 times
Default San Franciso's safe injection sites

San Francisco is seriously considering opening city operated safe injection sites for drug users. Since it will be an indoor facility, will they maintain their smoking ban? Just curious, because the irony would be off the charts!!!!

Oh, you want to inject some heroin? Have a seat over here. HEY! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!? PUT THAT CIGARETTE OUT! ITS BAD FOR YOU!!!

Old 10-30-2007, 06:12 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,526,669 times
Not a real bad idea. After all, heroin addiction is not particularly harmful to the body. And at these injection sites won't they be given an artificial form of heroin? If so, it will provide the high while protecting them from the dangers of obtaining illegal, unregulated heroin from the streets that can lead to a fatal overdose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies