Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:45 AM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Whole Foods started as a good idea as a place to get natural foods which were ethically produced and then sold by workers who get industry best levels of pay and benefits. The problems started when the company got big enough that they could become a publicly traded company. That's when prices really got pushed up even while pay and benefits got pushed down, yes, this helped shareholders but it also undermined the store's brand among its core shoppers. There are now lots of chains selling organic and natural foods so there is more competition yet Whole Foods has much higher prices for like items and no longer treats their workers as well. I just don't see that as a sustainable business plan as they have to do something to justify charging 33%-50% more than like items at other stores.
That doesn't stop union backers from buying over-priced items at stores like Ralphs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 11:49 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
That's the thing, it makes no sense. Its just his inner angry white man strain coming out...he didn't want to be left out of the crazy right winger CEO club after seeing the shenanigans of Donald Trump and Jack Welch during the election season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Was he banging his trojan-horse Republican fascism drum when the Heritage foundation and Romney were falling in love with Romneycare? This fool is just another angry white guy who are thankfully going extinct in our diverse nation. He has already sort of apologized so I guess conservatives do apologize.
I'm just going to say it...you're racist. What does him being white have to do with anything? Why is he automatically "angry" just b/c he disagrees with Obama? YOU sound like the angry one.

Republicans were not all over Romneycare, either, many of us conservatives did not like it, but realize that it is on the state level, not federal, so have less of a problem with it than Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Personally I'll give him a pass because I do like many things that he does [MOD CUT] . I think he deserves whatever comes to him, though, because he made the choice to say these things. I just don't entirely understand it, because his company willingly provides great health coverage, yet he's strongly against mandating it?
Maybe he understands that when the gov't mandates anything, it usually turns out bad. He has every right to provide health coverage for his employees but that doesn't mean he also has to be FOR the gov't mandating that every company provide it. The two are not mutually exclusive. He, like most conservatives, can see that doing something out of the goodness of your heart/charity is greatly preferable to the gov't forcing it upon the entire populace.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:55 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Ha - I love this! All these ultra-conservative middle-American meat-and-potatoes types are suddenly going to turn granola-head and march to their nearest Whole Foods (or rather, drive to it in their Suburbans and Hummers, after first having looked up the address, because this'll certainly be their first visit) in order to counter the "liberals".

Enjoy that organic Bok Choy at $6.50/lb, reactionaries!
I suppose I fit your description above and have been to Whole Foods plenty of times. I don't live that close now so I don't shop there anymore. I do like to get their meat, though, I don't know where else I can find grass fed beef. And I do like their salad bar but since I'm pregnant, I've been avoiding that type of stuff. I drive a Ford Escape and the drive would easily be half an hour on the freeway. I would not need to look up the address or get directions, I already know where it's at. Their underground parking structure is pretty cool to park in in the winter.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:41 PM

502 posts, read 717,627 times
Well, this second wave of whole foods boycotts once again only lasted for a week or so. I'm not surprised, these liberal snobs can't stand to shop where regular folks buy their groceries.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:49 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Seems like I will be buying more groceries there.

I don't shop there anyway, it's too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies