Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gun owners, would your register your firearms with the government?
I would never register my firearms regardless of a new law 91 71.09%
Of coarse I would register my firearms under a new law 26 20.31%
I'm not sure what I would do... 11 8.59%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 07:15 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,074,375 times

Advertisements

What serial numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 07:17 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,983,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Registration is required by local law. As a gun owner and hunter I follow the law.

Anyone who speculates about 'confiscation' or disarming of gun owners is paranoid, IMHO.
Because it's never ever happened in the history of mankind before, right?

I wish I could live with the belief that our government is absolutely benevolent and only looking out for my best interest.

Kent State

Ruby Ridge

Waco

Tens of thousands of American citizens rounded up and placed in camps by the great FDR.

No thanks....I'll take my chances with an armed populace, thank you.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:25 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,331,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Well, those have been sold... some guy in the WalMart parking lot... for cash ... he didn't speak English. The others? Stolen. No, I didn't report it nor did I make an insurance claim. Do I have to?
Funny, I sold mine to a similar guy in the Home Depot parking lot. I asked him for a voter ID card to prove he was a citizen and not a felon, but unfortunately he didn't have one. He looked honest though.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:36 PM

25,767 posts, read 16,382,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
And Oh Great Pumbah just what year will this registry take place?

There is no registry.... except for in a few dinkweed red commie states for hand guns only....

You go see if you can change that law.

While i you do i will be seeking to get all Gays and lessies registered too, and everyone else with HIV or AIDs.

Just try.....
It's going to happen. And it's reasonable. Automobiles have to be registered. Devices designed to kill from a distance should be too.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 PM

8,852 posts, read 5,327,115 times
I believe mine were registered when they were purchased almost 20 years ago.

If they've lost the paperwork, oh well .....

Old 01-19-2013, 10:08 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,271,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I am not plotting any war with the govt, but if i did I have the RIGHT. That is why there is the 2nd. period.

If for example a president should declare himself/herself supreme dictator, 'We the People' would have every Right to take back the form of Govt we had before.

Having a right to guns means we don't need to request permission which you don't do for Rights.

I have never asked for permission to buy a gun and i never will.

I did suffer infringement asking permission to carry a gun for self defense. If that cost should increase or the law change I will just stop requesting and paying the fee.

Us gun nits as you put it value Freedom more than the land and we tend to value out rights more than you sheep.. That's too bad.

One day you sheep will have traded your liberty for cheap security, well i guess you already have, and are at the point of finding out the Govt won't give you either.

Make bigger Gun Free Zone signs and see how that works

Make me a criminal over a illegal gun registry, and you may find out how that works too.

Gun nuts and their tough talk. Lol. If the government requires gun registration and you don't register your guns you are violating the law. This means you are not a law abiding citizen.

If the authorities find out, then you'll face the legal consequences. If you resist violently then lord help you.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,887,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Gun nuts and their tough talk. Lol. If the government requires gun registration and you don't register your guns you are violating the law. This means you are not a law abiding citizen.

If the authorities find out, then you'll face the legal consequences. If you resist violently then lord help you.
All I can say to this is ooooh, I'm so afwaid of not being a "law abiding citizen" just like most of those in government today.
On a serious note, where registration is required, has it made any difference with the criminals that are carrying? Do they register theirs? Does it stop them from doing anything?
I don't see the upside to registration at the street level, please enlighten me as to what the benefit is?
On further thought, as for the statement "if you resist violently then lord help you" I ask you this, do you have any idea the storm that would be created should situations like that come to pass? All it would take to light a fuse that I don't know could be tamped out is for a couple of those "lord help you" situations as you describe it to hit the news.
This is not "gun nut bravado" or "tough talk", this is knowing that there are a lot of people out there with short fuses who've been saying for years and preparing for something like that to happen. Maybe they'd be considered "nuts" by some but since I don't know them personally I can't say but I do know they're out there.
They could be right, only time will tell.

Last edited by jimj; 01-20-2013 at 06:20 AM..

Old 01-20-2013, 06:27 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,466,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
As a gun owner, I would personally never "register" my firearms with the federal government.. I am curious though, if it were law that you had to register your firearms with the government, would you??
I don't understand this at all.

Responsible gun owners are always demanding that a distinction be made between themselves ("law-abiding citizens") and those who would use guns to commit crimes ("criminals"). Gun registration is one way of doing that. Someone who owns a gun for hunting, shooting, self-defense, or whatever, can make clear they own firearms for legitimate purposed by registering them. Why is that so unreasonable?

Old 01-20-2013, 06:29 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,146,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I don't understand this at all.

Responsible gun owners are always demanding that a distinction be made between themselves ("law-abiding citizens") and those who would use guns to commit crimes ("criminals"). Gun registration is one way of doing that. Someone who owns a gun for hunting, shooting, self-defense, or whatever, can make clear they own firearms for legitimate purposed by registering them. Why is that so unreasonable?

where in the 2nd Amendment does it say anything about registering your arms?

I am also in favor of NO laws being made against the 2nd Amendment. get rid of all 20,000+ state laws and 5000+ federal laws concerning firearms.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:52 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,150,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
So, then, when the Constitution was drafted and the Bill of Rights added, it was decided that you could own a tank or a howitzer?

Over the years there have been many things that were legal, then redefined by laws. Marijuana, cocaine, heroin, marriage to 12-year-olds, dynamite, brass knuckles, switchblade knives, whiskey, "assault weapons with high-cap mags", mail-order rifles and ammunition, etcetera and so on.

What we need is a legal definition of "arms". That is why the Constitution was drawn with ambiguity built in - so that there can be tests in court as new situations arise.
My neighbor has a tank..

Though he calls it a Ford Excursion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies