U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:58 PM

1,955 posts, read 3,009,490 times

Advertisements

According to the accounts I've read, Lee was a stellar military leader and a great guy for his time. Too bad he didn't accept when Lincoln asked him to lead the Union army.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:02 PM

143 posts, read 103,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
u have my vote. but as to general lee he got more southern soldiers killed than any union officer.
his greatest contribution was to veterans who fought and to try to talk the crazies that launched the war out of it before it happened. to no avail of course.

General Lee had a brilliant tactical mind and won most of his battles but still lost the war. Why? Because he failed to grasp the maxim that General George Washington understood during the American Revolution. The army must remain intact in the face of overwhelming numbers. You can't afford to swap 1 for 1 casualties in battle after battle when the enemy has a 3-1 advantage in manpower. Washington lost most of the battles he fought, but he was able to preserve his army to fight another day. No viable army- no victory. I'm more of a Stonewall Jackson man myself.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:26 PM

14,154 posts, read 11,623,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Today is the great General's Birthday. RIP sir. Thank goodness I can tell my kids this is the reason there is no school on Monday...no way they are going to be brainwashed into thinking a fraud is the reason they have no school.
I have a nice First National flying.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:27 PM

55,640 posts, read 74,577,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusilier0770 View Post
General Lee had a brilliant tactical mind and won most of his battles but still lost the war. Why? Because he failed to grasp the maxim that General George Washington understood during the American Revolution. The army must remain intact in the face of overwhelming numbers. You can't afford to swap 1 for 1 casualties in battle after battle when the enemy has a 3-1 advantage in manpower. Washington lost most of the battles he fought, but he was able to preserve his army to fight another day. No viable army- no victory. I'm more of a Stonewall Jackson man myself.
yes a great man and leader doing insane stuff, human wave charges on cannon is not however a winning tactic for anybody and falls short of the definition of genius esp when gen. longstreet begged him not to.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:00 PM

14,154 posts, read 11,623,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes a great man and leader doing insane stuff, human wave charges on cannon is not however a winning tactic for anybody and falls short of the definition of genius esp when gen. longstreet begged him not to.
Kinda a Stuart guy meself( being a cavalry type) but a more than passing nod goes to Forrest. On the Yankee side I have great respect for Buford, for employing cavalry in its proper role as a rapid deployment force that went to ground for the actual fight. Stuart and Custer acted stupidly at Gettysburg in head on mounted clashes. A waste of fine men and horses, on both sides.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:52 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,328,149 times
Quote:
Same here. 152 years later we are still an occupied country.I hope I live to see the day of a free Southland,If not me then my children.I will never give up hope.
Marse Robert would not agree with you if he was alive today.

After his surrender at Appomattox, General Lee urged his soldiers to put the conflict at rest and to become good citizens of the USA. Lee himself became the president of Washington College, now Washington & Lee University, and always counseled his students to be loyal US citizens. You do not honor Lee by continuing this bitterness and hatred after over 150 years.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:06 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,442,299 times
Southern Pride,A man that stood for his convictions and beliefs in states rights and fought the tyrant Lincoln.A lot more to celebrate with Lee than there is celebrating that fraud King.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:07 PM

4,690 posts, read 3,911,444 times
I'm happy to mark the occasion of General Lee's anniversary; undoubtedly the best strategist the American people ever produced, a man of noble principle, and an aristocrat to the soles of his boots who would certainly have despised most of the people who still insist on displaying the battle flag of his army as no better than trash fit for the whipping-post and the gallows.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:11 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,056,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
How much more time? Even one more hour was too long. Why should blacks have waited until it "was on its way out" when whites were free right off the boat?

No, slavery wasn't on its way out. It would've went on a few decades longer at a minimum. Southerners didn't lose all of those thousands of soldiers only to ditch slavery had they won. Besides, their Bible said that slavery was ok.
Spot on post.

Even today, they celebrate their racist hero Nathan Bedford Forrest. Now that is mostly the case in the undereducated rural parts, the cities and particularly ring suburbs understand the rubbish the "states rights ruse " was.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 PM

21,404 posts, read 14,352,256 times
Quote:
States rights to do as we pleased. Slavery was on its way out anyways...just a matter of time...
No, it was not. Slaves constituted the largest single capital investment in the south. None of the money tied up in land, industry, paid labor, or any other financial element in the south came close to approaching how much southern money was tied in in the ownership of human beings.

The ante bellum way of life could not survive without them, and did not survive after they were freed.

...and that is why the South is just beginning to recover, right now, 150 years later. The war didn't cripple the South. Freeing the slaves did.

And you can't ever return to slave holding again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies