U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,100,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
How much more time? Even one more hour was too long. Why should blacks have waited until it "was on its way out" when whites were free right off the boat?

No, slavery wasn't on its way out. It would've went on a few decades longer at a minimum. Southerners didn't lose all of those thousands of soldiers only to ditch slavery had they won. Besides, their Bible said that slavery was ok.
"Their" Bible was the same as any other Christian's Bible. Supporters of slavery chose to ignore one of the great lesson's in the Book of Exodus: that God sided with the slave.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 PM

48,282 posts, read 45,567,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Slavery was not on the way out. If it was there would have never been a civil war
Proof of that is Cuba and Brazil. They were the last nations in the Western Hemisphere to abolish slavery, in 1888. If slavery had been allowed to continue it might have not ended until around 1890.

Another way to tell is that there were 3,950,511 slaves in 1860, more than any other time in history. Slavery was considered profitable by many slave owners. The price of slaves reached their highest peak in 1860, just before the war started. There were more slaves being owned, and they were being sold for more money than ever. Slaves were counted as property, therefore, they were counted as wealth. The first 6 states to secede had the highest percentages of their populations enslaved.

Slavery was about economics.

Slavery in the United States | Economic History Services
Measuring Worth - Measures of worth, inflation rates, saving calculator, relative value, worth of a dollar, worth of a pound, purchasing power, gold prices, GDP, history of wages, average wage

Old 01-19-2013, 10:26 PM

383 posts, read 539,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Today is the great General's Birthday. RIP sir. Thank goodness I can tell my kids this is the reason there is no school on Monday...no way they are going to be brainwashed into thinking a fraud is the reason they have no school.
Without reading any post after this first one...he was my 5th Great Grandfather. Am I proud of him, it depends. But I do respect the man he was.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:12 AM

11,535 posts, read 8,794,391 times
Quote:
Today is the great General's Birthday. RIP sir. Thank goodness I can tell my kids this is the reason there is no school on Monday...no way they are going to be brainwashed into thinking a fraud is the reason they have no school.
Wage your civil war and you will thank him personally

Oh snap, didn't see that one coming did ya??

Old 01-20-2013, 12:24 AM

32,613 posts, read 16,678,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Ok, I'll celebrate Sherman's birthday, It's coming up shortly, February 8.
Perhaps a nice bonfire?

Old 01-20-2013, 12:26 AM

18,677 posts, read 17,088,173 times
Originally Posted by bobtn
Ok, I'll celebrate Sherman's birthday, It's coming up shortly, February 8.
Perhaps a nice bonfire.

Great post, Dane in LA.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:01 AM

7,371 posts, read 4,643,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusilier0770 View Post
General Lee had a brilliant tactical mind and won most of his battles but still lost the war. Why? Because he failed to grasp the maxim that General George Washington understood during the American Revolution. The army must remain intact in the face of overwhelming numbers. You can't afford to swap 1 for 1 casualties in battle after battle when the enemy has a 3-1 advantage in manpower. Washington lost most of the battles he fought, but he was able to preserve his army to fight another day. No viable army- no victory. I'm more of a Stonewall Jackson man myself.
I don't think you can say Lee lost the war. I suppose it is something of a debatable point but Lee would have had to surrender an awful lot of valuable territory in order to keep his army intact. Once Lincoln got a real hard charger in Grant and with Sherman tearing up the deep South, the Confederacy's days were numbered. Against the cautious generals the North had early on delaying tactics like Washington's might have served long enough for war weariness to overtake the North and get them to agree to peace. But I don't think Lee could have done much once Grant took charge. He was too much of a bulldog. With Grant and Sherman campaigning so aggressively, the economic base to keep Lee's army functioning would have been stripped out from under him if he hadn't tried the blocking maneuvers he did. Even with the rising war weariness in the North, time was against Lee in terms of keeping his army supplied and the more ground he gave, the less shoes, ammunition, medicine, and food would be available to him. It takes a lot of supplies to keep 50,000 soldiers in fighting condition.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:03 AM

143 posts, read 103,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
"Their" Bible was the same as any other Christian's Bible. Supporters of slavery chose to ignore one of the great lesson's in the Book of Exodus: that God sided with the slave.

Kind of like today. Anybody can use the Bible or any other document, like the Constitution, to justify their particular ideological position.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:15 AM

143 posts, read 103,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I don't think you can say Lee lost the war. I suppose it is something of a debatable point but Lee would have had to surrender an awful lot of valuable territory in order to keep his army intact. Once Lincoln got a real hard charger in Grant and with Sherman tearing up the deep South, the Confederacy's days were numbered. Against the cautious generals the North had early on delaying tactics like Washington's might have served long enough for war weariness to overtake the North and get them to agree to peace. But I don't think Lee could have done much once Grant took charge. He was too much of a bulldog. With Grant and Sherman campaigning so aggressively, the economic base to keep Lee's army functioning would have been stripped out from under him if he hadn't tried the blocking maneuvers he did. Even with the rising war weariness in the North, time was against Lee in terms of keeping his army supplied and the more ground he gave, the less shoes, ammunition, medicine, and food would be available to him. It takes a lot of supplies to keep 50,000 soldiers in fighting condition.

I'll give you that the loss was not entirely on Lee's shoulders. The corridor between Washington and Richmond is narrow with not a lot of room for maneuver. Could he had been more conservative in the use of the Army of Northern Virginia, probably. His aggressiveness on the field of battle usually resulted in casualties who could ill afford and were increasingly becoming impossible to replace. You are right, once Grant ascended to General in Chief, the Confederacy was running out of options. The Trans Appalachian West was already nearly subjugated and with it, any hope for future supplies and replacements. Lee was bracing the front door, while the back of the house was on fire.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:16 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,790,657 times
Quote:
So, you're going to Arlington Cemetary, once Robert E Lee's yard, to pay homage to his legacy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies