U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 PM
LML
 
Location: Wisconsin
7,110 posts, read 8,122,317 times
Reputation: 5160

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Shocker.

Lee surrendered not me
That's because YOU have nothing TO surrender. All that you spend your time daydreaming about was long gone before you ever drew breath. All the ugly ideas that keep that dream alive have long ago been defeated. America is a country that is trying to finally live up to the ideals that we always espoused and too long ignored. All people ARE created equal and ARE endowed by their Creator with the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Take a deep breath, watch the events unfolding today, and join the UNITED States of America in celebrating our goodness.

 
Old 01-21-2013, 01:34 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
2,080 posts, read 1,445,908 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You can't prove that.
Lol seriously? Did the people in all 50 states vote on it? Nope. They didn't. Congress passed it not the people.
 
Old 01-21-2013, 01:35 PM
 
Location: St. Joseph Area
6,237 posts, read 8,469,958 times
Reputation: 3101
I actually like Robert E. Lee, mostly because he didn't actually stand for anything the Confederacy stood for--race based slavery and treason. He disagreed with secession and didn't like slavery, but he didn't want to take arms against his Virginia neighbors...I can understand that.

Besides, unlike most Confederates, he immediately was a voice for reconciliation after the War. He was way more American than you, RebelYell.
 
Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 19 days ago)
 
48,282 posts, read 45,557,145 times
Reputation: 15366
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Lol seriously? Did the people in all 50 states vote on it? Nope. They didn't. Congress passed it not the people.
By the year 2000, all 50 states celebrated Dr. King day. Last time I checked, more people would rather celebrate that than some holiday that gives tribute to treason.
 
Old 01-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 19 days ago)
 
48,282 posts, read 45,557,145 times
Reputation: 15366
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
That's because YOU have nothing TO surrender. All that you spend your time daydreaming about was long gone before you ever drew breath. All the ugly ideas that keep that dream alive have long ago been defeated. America is a country that is trying to finally live up to the ideals that we always espoused and too long ignored. All people ARE created equal and ARE endowed by their Creator with the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Take a deep breath, watch the events unfolding today, and join the UNITED States of America in celebrating our goodness.
This is what Dr. King was about. He was about seeing a dream fulfilled, the same things that you are talking about in this post. He wanted to see America live up to what you are talking about. He was willing to die for it.
 
Old 01-21-2013, 01:42 PM
 
Location: St. Joseph Area
6,237 posts, read 8,469,958 times
Reputation: 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Can you blame them? Look at the other choice...christ I didn't even vote for Romney...


Another troll pokes its head out of the ground....get back to me when you understand what treason really is etc etc....why waste my time...just another yankee whose opinion means nothing.
"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court. The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted." --Article III, Section 3, United States Constitution

I would consider firing on federal military installations to be "levying war". But there's no point in arguing these finer points with a man who sympathizes with treason.
 
Old 01-21-2013, 01:42 PM
 
2,548 posts, read 1,863,263 times
Reputation: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
One of only two flags I'd have no problem setting fire to.--the nazi flag being the other.

Burn a Confederate Flag day - YouTube
 
Old 01-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 19 days ago)
 
48,282 posts, read 45,557,145 times
Reputation: 15366
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
One of only two flags I'd have no problem setting fire to.--the nazi flag being the other.
I can understand that feeling.
 
Old 01-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Status: "Trump: Inept, Incompetent, Insecure" (set 12 days ago)
 
10,526 posts, read 6,215,908 times
Reputation: 7254
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I actually like Robert E. Lee, mostly because he didn't actually stand for anything the Confederacy stood for--race based slavery and treason. He disagreed with secession and didn't like slavery, but he didn't want to take arms against his Virginia neighbors...I can understand that.

Besides, unlike most Confederates, he immediately was a voice for reconciliation after the War. He was way more American than you, RebelYell.
True indeed. If Virginia had not seceded from the Union, General Lee would not have drawn his sword. At the end, General Lee was one of the first to swear allegiance to the United States, which example caused many other soldiers to follow suit. As I am sure all know, Arlington National Cemetery is on his land (which I believe he obtained through marriage, if I am not mistaken).

General Lee would, no doubt, shake his head woefully over his present 'supporters', probably saying "Forgive them, Lord, for they know not what they do".

I always liked the story about the time the General was riding along a road. He happened to pass a walking man who identified himself as a former Confederate soldier. After General Lee thanked the man for his service. the man asked "General, is it all right if I hazza you?" The General was puzzled about what the man meant. However, he gave his consent. As General Lee rode off, the man began waving his tattered hat above his head, yelling "Hazza!"
 
Old 01-21-2013, 01:55 PM
 
4,690 posts, read 3,917,198 times
Reputation: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
As I am sure all know, Arlington National Cemetery is on his land (which I believe he obtained through marriage, if I am not mistaken).
Yes: the Arlington house and estate was the property of Lee's wife Mary Custis, the great-granddaughter of George Washington's wife Martha by her first husband. Though Lee came from one of Virginia's most aristocratic families, his father had mismanaged his affairs, and Lee (by FFV standards) was a relatively poor man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:09 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top