U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 AM

4,088 posts, read 3,683,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
yep, giving a tax credit for turning in lawfully owned items. whats next, a tax credit for not voting?
That would be a GOP plot... They are the ones allergic to voters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 08:49 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,728,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Congresswoman Wants Gun Confiscation

Who the hell voted for this nut?
I'm sorry, but this bill does not call for confiscation. It offers tax credits for people who surrender certain types of firearms. That is a far cry from ATF agents kicking in doors and snatching guns from people.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 AM

16,885 posts, read 13,009,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Did you read the proposed bill?

It does NOT say anything about "confiscation", FFS...

The bill, if I acted, allows a tax break of up to $2,000 for anyone who turns in a designated "assault weapon" for destruction in a VOLUNTARY "buy back" program.

Sounds like a great idea, to me. A person inclined to WANT to get his/her weapon out of circulation, for what ever reason, would get a good chunk back of what they paid for thing.

This is the kind of non-confiscatory, creative measures we can take to help reduce mass killings. We'll never be able to ban the ARs ( nor should we, IMO), but we can reduce how many are floating around out there.

I like gun buy backs too. I can go with an FFL holder, stand outside of a buyback and buy firearms for cheap. pay 10%-20% more than the cops or politicians are offering and walk away with alot of firearms.

last time a group of us did this, we walked away with almost 700 firearms.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 AM

34,991 posts, read 32,020,904 times
HA, it would be worth it to buy a 300 hipoint to go turn it in for 2000 I'd do it annually.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 AM

19,715 posts, read 11,535,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Did you read the proposed bill?

It does NOT say anything about "confiscation", FFS...

The bill, if I acted, allows a tax break of up to $2,000 for anyone who turns in a designated "assault weapon" for destruction in a VOLUNTARY "buy back" program.

Sounds like a great idea, to me. A person inclined to WANT to get his/her weapon out of circulation, for what ever reason, would get a good chunk back of what they paid for thing.

This is the kind of non-confiscatory, creative measures we can take to help reduce mass killings. We'll never be able to ban the ARs ( nor should we, IMO), but we can reduce how many are floating around out there.
Any means to reduce guns, no matter how non-intrusive and reasonable, is confiscation inthe mind of the radical right-wing.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
HA, it would be worth it to buy a 300 hipoint to go turn it in for 2000 I'd do it annually.

last buy back I went to, we got 2 M1A's for $130 each. worth over 2000 each. alot of people just want the money and dont go to a gun store to sell them. they will always get more than they will from the politicians, cities or cops.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 AM

8,561 posts, read 5,437,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Congresswoman Wants Gun Confiscation

Who the hell voted for this nut?
Since when does voluntarily surrender = "confiscate"?

Here's a link to what HR 226 does, and it's from a right wing web site as well.

Proposed Weapons Ban Legislation: H.R. 226

HR 226 IH
113th CONGRESS
1st Session
H. R. 226
To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow a credit against tax for surrendering to authorities certain assault weapons.
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
January 14, 2013
Ms. DELAURO (for herself and Mr. GRIJALVA) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Ways and Means
A BILL
To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow a credit against tax for surrendering to authorities certain assault weapons.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the ‘Support Assault Firearms Elimination and Reduction for our Streets Act’.
SEC. 2. ASSAULT WEAPON TURN-IN CREDIT.
(a) In General- Subpart A of part IV of subchapter A of chapter 1 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by inserting before section 26 the following new section:
‘SEC. 25E. ASSAULT WEAPON TURN-IN CREDIT.
‘(a) Allowance of Credit-
‘(1) IN GENERAL- In the case of an individual who surrenders a specified assault weapon to the United States or a State or local government (or political subdivision thereof) as part of a Federal, State, or local public safety program to reduce the number of privately owned weapons, on the election of the taxpayer there shall be allowed as a credit against the tax imposed by this chapter an amount equal to $2,000.
‘(2) YEAR CREDIT ALLOWED- The amount of the credit under paragraph (1) shall be allowed 1/2 for the taxable year during which the assault weapon was so surrendered and 1/2 in the next taxable year.
‘(b) Special Rules-

You can track the bill at this site:

Support Assault Firearms Elimination and Reduction for our Streets Act (H.R. 226) - GovTrack.us

Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
last buy back I went to, we got 2 M1A's for $130 each. worth over 2000 each. alot of people just want the money and dont go to a gun store to sell them. they will always get more than they will from the politicians, cities or cops.
H.R. 226 is NOT a "buy back".....it's a tax credit of $2000.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I like gun buy backs too. I can go with an FFL holder, stand outside of a buyback and buy firearms for cheap. pay 10%-20% more than the cops or politicians are offering and walk away with alot of firearms.

last time a group of us did this, we walked away with almost 700 firearms.
Hmmm, and you need 700 firearms for what?

Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
H.R. 226 is NOT a "buy back".....it's a tax credit of $2000.

which out of 2000 you might get 150-200 dollars in your refund, if you are lucky. offer people more money for their firearms and they will come to you instead of the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies