U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 05:13 PM

8,399 posts, read 5,304,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The sole purpose of guns is to kill. (yes, yes, some people use them for target practice, but what is the practice for.)

The sole purpose of cars is to get from one place to another. The fact that there are many car accident deaths is an unfortunate result of the fact that it's a primary mode of transportation used by most people nearly every day.

There's a difference.
It's obvious what guns are for. Not a single modern military in the world views cars or hammers or knives or bats or etc as deadly as guns. That's why every military on earth gives their soldiers guns. Gun nut logic says otherwise.

There is no amount of reasoning that can be done. They are afraid, paranoid, insane, with violent fantasies of killing other Americans. They believe there will be a violent revolution where they get to kill FBI, ATF, agents, police officers, national guards, and maybe soldiers. This is their stated reason for wanting guns. They think they sound sane to the rest of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 05:14 PM

493 posts, read 575,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It's obvious what guns are for. Not a single modern military in the world views cars or hammers or knives or bats or etc as deadly as guns. That's why every military on earth gives their soldiers guns. Gun nut logic says otherwise.

There is no amount of reasoning that can be done. They are afraid, paranoid, insane, with violent fantasies of killing other Americans. They believe there will be a violent revolution where they get to kill FBI, ATF, agents, police officers, national guards, and maybe soldiers. This is their stated reason for wanting guns. They think they sound sane to the rest of America.
Sadly, this is well said.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:14 PM

102 posts, read 147,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
Another sad, senseless killing. Any murder is of course.

I respect the 2nd amendment and the rights we Americans have to own a weapon. But I simply can't understand how gun owners feel that right should go unchecked and is inclusive? I don't feel that there should be sweeping legislation on gun control because it punishes responsible gun owners. But to ignore that there is a problem is irresponsible.
I read so many gun owners who just simply say leave me and my guns alone (some add "or else). Why? Why are you not really concerned that guns of all types are contributing to America's body count?
My fear is that this trend will continue and that more innocent people are going to be killed. We as a society should be appalled at this.
In my opinion the only way some owners will be willing to meet halfway on this issue is that the slaughter continues and more and more people they know (family) are needlessly killed. It's like bombing a country to the peace table.
Well said! And all those in favour of retaining firearms in an unrestricted measure who work on the theory that being armed means you can take out an armed 'bad guy' are certainly barking up the wrong tree. You can be a top shooter on a range but in a real hands-on situation, range shooting goes out the window. Panic sets in and rounds go everywhere. It's not like the movies where a 'good guy' shooter never misses and drops 'bad guys' with ease. Rounds go where they were never intended to go and innocent people do get hurt. I speak from experience as botth a military (SE Asia 1967/68) and law enforcement (25 years) vet.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:17 PM

493 posts, read 575,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
To me a teen who shoots 5 members of his family to death has emotional problems. And I think, just as with Adam Lanza and most of the other mass killers, evidence will come out that this kid verifying that this kid had problems.
And to carry out his problems his first choice was apparently a gun. I wonder why he didn't pile them all in a car and drive off a cliff? Why not build a bomb? He could have used knives that I'm sure we're in the house? What about poison?

No, in order to kill he chose a gun.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:17 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,852,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What law would prevent incidents like this ?

What law would prevent a teen from stealing their parents' gun ?
A Gun Safe law would help. There are a lot of irresponsible gun owners out there. Seems to be getting worse, or people are just getting dumber.

5 hurt in accidental shootings at 3 U.S. gun shows

None of those people should own firearms based on the fact that they are dumb****s.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:18 PM

11,392 posts, read 18,599,912 times
^To the last 3 posts 221 to 223.....ugh....bulls****

Old 01-20-2013, 05:19 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,479,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post

I have a .410 to shoot at the varmints that go near the chicken yard.
I'm not out to gun down the FBI, CIA, ATF.

It's that pesky 'coon that keeps coming back for chicken dinners that I'm after.

And you think I'm a gun nut with gun nut logic ? Really ?

Old 01-20-2013, 05:21 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,479,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
Gun Safe law.
Which is ?

FWIW Lanza's mother had her guns locked up in a gun safe.
Didn't stop her son from getting them.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:22 PM

19,365 posts, read 17,476,403 times
You can almost hear the giggling and glee over the tragedy from some on the left, but thats countered by the disinterest from some on the right.
Now the big questions. Was the boy mentally ill? Was he into violent video games and movies? Heavy metal or rap? His father was a chaplain was he rebelling against religion? Drugs, illegal or prescribed? Were the guns kept secured? Any abuse?
Maybe instead of this being a gun issue we should try to look into the crime itself and why it happened. Maybe if we start putting thought, reason and compassion into these crimes our government may start doing the same.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:23 PM

11,392 posts, read 18,599,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I have a .410 to shoot at the varmints that go near the chicken yard.
I'm not out to gun down the FBI, CIA, ATF.

It's that pesky 'coon that keeps coming back for chicken dinners that I'm after.

And you think I'm a gun nut with gun nut logic ? Really ?
Don't bother trying to explain yourself to Iamme and such, you are wasting your time. What it really comes down to is they have a agenda up their.... and you are wasting your time and words trying to think they'll be rational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies