Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Watching violent video games and participating in killing indiscriminately all day long has nothing to do with it. Violent movies that would have been X rated 30 years ago has nothing to do with it. What people see and put into their minds does not affect them at all, not one bit. No sir. Wait that sounds like total BS to me.

I don't care what any study says, if you have a study that says the sky is pink all I have to do is use my mind and eyes and know your full or crap.
I suppose once you come to this conclusion, the next logical step is to ask yourself why as a society and as parents, we are literally condoning and promoting violent and murderous physiological conditioning for our children.
These games which allow people to indulge in the fantasy of mass murder and indeed reward them for being proficient at it, are by far the most popular form of entertainment today for young people.
As disturbing as this is, there is not a single law or regulation to address it.
There is also no movement by government, industry, the medical profession, or parents themselves to illustrate the fact that these kinds of games have absolutely no positive purpose, and do have very negative impact on people with mental problems that would find stimulation and even emulate this kind of behavior.
So why are we as a society condoning these anti-social training platforms?
Is it only because as parents we relinquishing our duty to teach social morals to schools, government, and television?
Is it because industry and government make billions from the exploitation of violence to the most impressionable of our society?
Or does it act as a valuable tool to encourage the kind of incidences which can then be confused and distorted to take the rights from people to protect themselves.
Perhaps it is all of these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 AM

990 posts, read 939,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
I Agree, but I believe it's the Video gaming that programmed his mind.
Yeah, because the MILLIONS who play violent video games (including my 70 year old aunt) every day are all deranged violent killers Let's completely forget that violent video games are played in Sweden, Japan, Norway and all those other countries with nearly nonexistant murder rates too.

It's not video games, nor is it violent television or movies. Don't forget, the freaking Bible has a body count in the millions!

Quote:
In the bible God has killed some 2,301,427 people. Satan has killed only 10 people that God shares at least some responsibility for ( Job's 3 daughters and 7 sons).
Shakespeare has countless murders and deaths (Romeo and Juliet is about teenagers in gangs killing over pointless stuff and then a teenaged suicide), and also don't forget that the country's murder rate has declined DRAMATICALLY from 9.2/100,000 to 4.7/100,000 since video game violence became more realistic with the creation of Mortal Kombat in 1992 and even moreso when you look all the way back 800 years.

Do you people ever actually consider the facts behind these ridiculous theories you pull out of your patootie or do you just assume every asinine thing you come up with is somehow the truth?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
I don't care what any study says
Me neither. But let's just take human nature.

The entertainment industry can't deny it. From hairstyles to cars, to music, folks imitate art-
they always have. Usually, it's suppose to be the greatest form of flattery, except when it comes
to violence. And yes, movies/videos have become way to senseless in that area.

Chances are if you keep seeing something over and over, eventually
you are going to imitate it in one form or another. Now with a less than stable mind, if you are
watching violent video games, the chances of you becoming violent or wanting to act that out
"get more" is a given to me.

And it would be of great concern to parents and Hollywood, if anyone actually cared...

Old 01-23-2013, 07:25 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
I Agree, but I believe it's the Video gaming that programmed his mind.
Video game playing has gone up in the past few decades.

Violent crime has gone down.

Explain how violent video games cause violence.

I myself have played a lot of violent video games. Racked up 1000 hours on one shooter back in high school. Played plenty of GTA and all that. And you know what? I'm a pretty docile person.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
The late 30's/early 40's produced a war that left 50+ million people dead.

There were no video games then, so who do we blame for this--Three Stooges shorts?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Default Three stooges shorts

These were very mean little movies.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
If you're so interested in shootings why didn't you start a thread on this story? That's rhetorical BTW.

Mother Shoots Home Intruder Six Times after Being Cornered in Attic - YouTube
Cause it does not fit there agenda, they only want t osee the BAD side of guns and not the other side.....

Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post

Racked up 1000 hours on one shooter back in high school. Played plenty of GTA and all that. And you know what? I'm a pretty docile person.
How docile are you Blowing someone's head off in a violent video game just reinforces that
give peace a chance feeling, doesn't it.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
How docile are you Blowing someone's head off in a violent video game just reinforces that
give peace a chance feeling, doesn't it.
Fairly docile. The only time I've ever gotten into a fight was when I was incredibly drunk and the other person was as well, and we were being pricks to each other all night.

I try to avoid violent conflict, I try to stop fights before they start, and seeing real footage of the effects of war (not the sanitized stuff you see on CNN) still turns my stomach and makes my heart ache, especially when it involves little kids.

You see, it's pretty easy to distinguish between a video game and real life. I do crazy things in Grand Theft Auto because it's just a game. I don't do crazy things in real life because I understand that real actions have real consequences, and that hurting a real person is MUCH more different than hurting a virtual character.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yeah, I guess the police and 911 were really not of much help to these victims. Imagine if one of the victims could have defended themselves with a gun of their own?

And this close to the border would make it every easy for the killer to get the guns from the same drug traffickers that make it very easy for kids to get meth and pot.

The mom was shot in her sleep. I guess she was supposed to be sleeping with her gun and magically wake up before her son shot her. Then he shot his siblings, ages 2-9. I suppose they too should have been walking about the house fully armed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies