U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 AM

9,897 posts, read 6,855,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post

You see, it's pretty easy to distinguish between a video game and real life.
For you it is. Because you are normal and "fairly docile"

But let's face it, the games have more gratuitous violence than ever.
To me verging on, this is so lame - and sick.
Oh, the days of just Halo What version of Grand Theft Auto are we on now, anyways

We have a whole generation saturated with this junk. There are going to be
unstable ones doing harm to others, ignited or "inspired" by the games they play.
That's not even arguable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,551,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
A bad man with a gun facing no armed opposition is free to kill almost without limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You're the one who wants to make victims helpless and unable to defend themselves even in home invasions. How stupid is that!!!

And you're the one who would insist the victims in a home invasion can simply call 911 and wait for the police to show up. How stupid is that!!!

You want the criminals to have guns because obviously they will buy guns, just like criminals buy drugs because Probition of drugs and guns won't work.

Your policies will have more defenseless victims and more deaths from home invasions.

And where were the two and five year olds who were shot after their mom was shot in her sleep supposed to be carrying these guns to defend themselves? In their diapers and dollhouses?

This idea of being armed to defend yourself only works if you have time to go get your weapon.
When did murderers start giving advance notice? And how are children supposed to use this logic? Are they supposed to have guns loaded under their desks? In their dresser drawers?

Old 01-23-2013, 08:10 AM

9,397 posts, read 13,699,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
For you it is. Because you are normal and "fairly docile"

But let's face it, the games have more gratuitous violence than ever.
To me verging on, this is so lame - and sick.
Oh, the days of just Halo What version of Grand Theft Auto are we on now, anyways

We have a whole generation saturated with this junk. There are going to be
unstable ones doing harm to others, ignited or "inspired" by the games they play.
That's not even arguable.
Meh, my generation was arguably the first one to be exposed to any level of realism in video games. And it definitely is arguable; unless you can produce a credible study saying that there is a strong correlation or causal link between violent video game use and violent crime, then I still stand by my opinion that they do not do anything.

And we're looking at GTA 5 coming out soon!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 AM

16,952 posts, read 11,836,648 times
"Originally Posted by ellemint
No, you or someone on here said that gun restrictions on law-abiding citizens would not have an effect. I don't agree. If this killer's parents had not had an assault weapon then this teenager would not have been able to obtain it on his own."

The ultimate position is that any gun used to kill someone is an 'assault weapon'. therefore all 'assault weapons' aka 'all guns', should be banned.

Obviously gun laws are effective up to a point. After that they are ineffective. They are ineffective because that have zero impact on those who commit most of the violence.

Even if you took all the guns away, violence would be perpetrated in other ways. The middle east heathens put down their automatic weapons and pick up bombs to commit mass murder.

As most crime is committed by a few, the laws never touch the core of that violent population. So why would you pass a law that was ineffective against the people who commit most of the crimes.

Most occurrence of gun violence is downstream of the drug trade by gangs. To go after guns as a satisfactory solution is like treating a trauma patient for a rash instead stopping a severed artery.

Do you think gun violence would even be an issue if the drug trade dried up and gangs went out of business? The final stats would not be worth noting.

Hmm, irresponsible parents produce an irresponsible child.

Right now FFL/gun shops do a NICs check, A national database accessed via driver's license#. This is on top of permits and background checks where they are conducted.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 AM

993 posts, read 802,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Me neither. But let's just take human nature.

The entertainment industry can't deny it. From hairstyles to cars, to music, folks imitate art-
they always have. Usually, it's suppose to be the greatest form of flattery, except when it comes
to violence. And yes, movies/videos have become way to senseless in that area.

Chances are if you keep seeing something over and over, eventually
you are going to imitate it in one form or another. Now with a less than stable mind, if you are
watching violent video games, the chances of you becoming violent or wanting to act that out
"get more" is a given to me.

And it would be of great concern to parents and Hollywood, if anyone actually cared...
That's NONSENSE.

I don't run around jumping on tortoises because I did it as Super Mario thousands of times.
I don't run around stealing cars and murdering prostitutes because I did that in Grand Theft Auto.
I don't climb into the sewers because I saw the Turtles in Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles do it.

You know why I don't do any of that stuff? Because I can differentiate between fantasy and reality. You know who can't differentiate? Psychotic people.

That's what this whole mass shooting thing is about (because actual murder rates have plummeted to HALF the level they were at when video game violence became mainstream...see my previous post in this thread for links), it's not about video games or guns, it's about mental illness. Insanity is the issue here, not some asinine connection between the games murderers play and the horrific acts they commit.

If violent video games were such a problem, how come the home of many of those games (Japan) is also one of the world's least murderous places?

Old 01-24-2013, 02:12 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,988,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"Originally Posted by ellemint
No, you or someone on here said that gun restrictions on law-abiding citizens would not have an effect. I don't agree. If this killer's parents had not had an assault weapon then this teenager would not have been able to obtain it on his own."

The ultimate position is that any gun used to kill someone is an 'assault weapon'. therefore all 'assault weapons' aka 'all guns', should be banned.

Obviously gun laws are effective up to a point. After that they are ineffective. They are ineffective because that have zero impact on those who commit most of the violence.

Even if you took all the guns away, violence would be perpetrated in other ways. The middle east heathens put down their automatic weapons and pick up bombs to commit mass murder.

As most crime is committed by a few, the laws never touch the core of that violent population. So why would you pass a law that was ineffective against the people who commit most of the crimes.

Most occurrence of gun violence is downstream of the drug trade by gangs. To go after guns as a satisfactory solution is like treating a trauma patient for a rash instead stopping a severed artery.

Do you think gun violence would even be an issue if the drug trade dried up and gangs went out of business? The final stats would not be worth noting.

Hmm, irresponsible parents produce an irresponsible child.

Right now FFL/gun shops do a NICs check, A national database accessed via driver's license#. This is on top of permits and background checks where they are conducted.
Parents need to start taking some responsibility for their crazy kids. This pastor should not have had numerous guns in an unlocked closet in a household with 10 children, even if he didn't have a disturbed son. If you have a troubled son, get your guns out of the house. The life you save may be your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies