U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2013, 03:17 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,850 posts, read 20,133,046 times
Reputation: 6482

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
No, I read where YOU say he is innocent... I also read about the evidence against him and if it is true, then he is guilty... That's why the military has court martials. (Trials) A panel will decide his innocense or guilt and if guilty will decide his fate.
That should give you some idea how much liberal freaks truly hate the US, to defend this traitor is simply unconscionable.

 
Old 01-21-2013, 03:23 AM
 
Location: The Brat Stop
8,353 posts, read 5,949,185 times
Reputation: 2279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
This case has far reaching implications to all of our constitutional rights. However, by now the white noise of everyday life has erased Bradley from the publics view.

"Manning faces life in military prison under the Espionage Act. Prosecutors for the Obama administration argue that he is guilty of “aiding the enemy” for leaking information that was subsequently made available on the Internet to anyone, including enemies of the United States. If Manning is convicted, the case will set a dangerous precedent for other whistleblowers, as well as media and watchdog organizations, journalists, bloggers, and anyone who accesses information that the government deems sensitive to US interests."

Bradley Manning Denied Whistleblower Defense. Faces Life in Military Prison under Espionage Act | Global Research
Well, that's kind of what happens when a person can't follow rules and regulations in the military, Bradley must have forgotten he was bound by the UCMJ. You know what they say, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

http://www.ucmj.us/
 
Old 01-21-2013, 04:06 AM
 
Location: Michigan
12,715 posts, read 11,546,599 times
Reputation: 4130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
This case has far reaching implications to all of our constitutional rights. However, by now the white noise of everyday life has erased Bradley from the publics view.
Most of the RWNJs who whine about almost everything under the sun turning the U.S. into a totalitarian state or a banana republic, studiously ignore one of the most salient pieces of evidence for making their case: the martyrdom of PFC Manning.
 
Old 01-21-2013, 04:13 AM
 
Location: Michigan
12,715 posts, read 11,546,599 times
Reputation: 4130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Many would like to compare the cases of Manning with that of Daniel Ellsburg, I find the comparison lacking. Ellsburg besides being a civilian exposed specific information regarding the prosecution of the Vietnam War on the other hand, Manning published information indiscriminately, some exposed certain relevant public policy issue most did not. Ellsberg used a scalpel while Manning simply produced a deluge of confidential and secret information with little regard to the life and safety of intelligence assets, sensitive diplomatic information some of which was informative but most of it simply exposition for no other purpose and than exposition.
If you're basing your argument on that portion of information leaked which was irrelevant, that rationale is unusual and obviously differs from the government's, which bases any espionage prosecution precisely on the portion that was relevant and 'damaging'.

If a military private leaked Michelle Obama's cookie recipe or something, he might be sued, but he would not be prosecuted for espionage.
 
Old 01-21-2013, 04:57 AM
 
4,806 posts, read 3,449,480 times
Reputation: 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
If you're basing your argument on that portion of information leaked which was irrelevant, that rationale is unusual and obviously differs from the government's, which bases any espionage prosecution precisely on the portion that was relevant and 'damaging'.

If a military private leaked Michelle Obama's cookie recipe or something, he might be sued, but he would not be prosecuted for espionage.
The judgment of whether the information is damaging or not, is not made by the individual but by the military, they do so by classifying the information, if michelle obama's recipe was deemed TOP SECRET leaking it would carry the same weight that releasing any other TOP SECRET information. He did do a brave thing by realizing the video, it was totally misguided and wrong, clearly endangered troops in the ground by giving the opposition, "locker room" material sort of speak, is worth mentioning that those troops were also doing a brave thing, and were not involved in that video. He would have had ample opportunity to release that video after the war, when troops were not in danger.
 
Old 01-21-2013, 05:09 AM
 
6,175 posts, read 2,643,913 times
Reputation: 2295
Question: Which has more weight.
Upholding the values of the constitution you swore an oath to, or upholding a contract of secrecy where many crimes were committed?
 
Old 01-21-2013, 07:09 AM
 
1,474 posts, read 3,069,552 times
Reputation: 2052
The other part about a military trial is that the panel (jury) of officers and enlisted persons do not have to be unanimous in their verdict. If there are 5 on the panel, only 3 are needed to convict for example.

I suspect this young man is going to spend much of his best years in Fort Leavenworth if not all of it.
 
Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 AM
 
25,631 posts, read 30,231,753 times
Reputation: 23106
Aiding and abetting the enemy is not being a whistle blower.
 
Old 01-21-2013, 11:02 AM
 
1,597 posts, read 972,829 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Aiding and abetting the enemy is not being a whistle blower.
He was exposing the enemy.
 
Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
65,926 posts, read 33,398,656 times
Reputation: 14074
I learned quick, once you sign up to volunteer, they own your ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top