Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
...and here comes the first sign of last defense - marginalizing and probably, next, name calling.

Did anyone ever tell you that it's OK to disagree without calling someone else's post "inane"?

Or, aren't you interested in discussing the topic?

Try this for starters:

Whoops: PolitiFact's 'Lie of the Year' Turns Out to Be True
Whoops: PolitiFact's 'Lie of the Year' Turns Out to Be True | The Weekly Standard

"Public expressed collective outrage"? That's essentially wishcasting on the part of PolitiFact, nor are they accurately representing what Mitt Romney said in the ad. In fact, here's PolitiFact's original "fact check" on the matter:

[Mitt Romney] Says Barack Obama "sold Chrysler to Italians who are going to build Jeeps in China" at the cost of American jobs.

Reuters) - Fiat (FIA.MI) and its U.S. unit Chrysler expect to roll out at least 100,000 Jeeps in China when production starts in 2014 as they seek to catch up with rivals in the world's biggest car market.
Output could double, the Italian carmaker's Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne, without giving a precise timeframe.
Fiat sees at least 100,000 Jeeps made in China in 2014 | Reuters

Like I said, those are Jeeps that could have been produced here.

And Romney was right.
If the Jeeps were produced here, they'd be too expensive to sell in China.

China is the world's biggest car market. Do you want American carmakers to have a portion of that carmarket, or not?

Jeeps will still be produced here for the American market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 10:21 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
The Jeep Grand Cherokee starts at 575,900 yuan, or $91,064. In the U.S., it starts at $26,995, according to company websites. The 2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 version costs at least 1.2 million yuan, or $189,750, compared with $54,470 in the U.S., according to Edmunds.com.
Jeeps Sell for $189,750 as China Demand Offsets Tariffs- Bloomberg

The price to consumers is the reason for adding production to China for the Chinese market. Lower cost will mean more sales.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,091 times
I've finally had to reconcile myself to the fact, that facts matter not, to my "fellow" republicans. Their mantra is "spread the lie, at any cost". I hope that one day one of them will begin to study economics, geopolitical theories and embrace modern science, but my hope may be in vain. Godspeed

Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How many Americans import their Toyotas from Japan?
Dunno. Like my Honda Accord, how many are put together here in the U.S.?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:36 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Yeah, we sure would be better off if we had mental giants lke Mit Romney and Paul Ryan in the White House.

They clearly hold the answers to all our nation's woes.
They can't have done worse than Obama. The absolute worse reconomic recovery in history, trillion dollar deficits, reducing drilling permits at a time when energy prices are high and energy independence is a matter of national security, blatant lies about an assassinated ambassador, week upon week of doing nothing while gushing oil wrecked the fishing and tourist industry of multiple states, half a billion dollars invested in a company his own economic advisors told him was failing, a trillion dollar stimulus in shovel ready jobs that he admitted later didn't exist, raising debt ceilings he himself argued against while he was in the Senate, health care "reform" that has raised rathered than lowered healthcare costs, etc.

Obama is an unmitigated disaster.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
They can't have done worse than Obama ... Obama is an unmitigated disaster.
The fact that I'm aware that a Romney/Ryan White House would have been worse than the worst kind of joke is not an endorsement for Obama.

There are plenty of things about the Obama administration I am beyond disatisfied with. And legitimately so.

But for the GOP to hold up Mitt Romney as the "answer" to Obama?

They are gonna have to do a lot better. Unfortuntely, at this point in our history they seem to be invested in running through the rails over the cliff into irrelevance and lunacy.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,309 times
What did the Republicans say about Romney? He was a poopy cantidate?

Grover Norquist: Romney A 'Poopy Head' | TPM LiveWire

Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times
Why would that upset republicons. I thought they love outsourcing. After all they got outsourced themselves.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:58 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Is Mitt Romney the new*Nostradamus? - BizPac Review

The last two weeks should go down as a period of vindication for former GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney and earn him the nickname, “soothsayer of the Western World” — a modern-age Nostradamus.
On Jan. 14, Chrysler’s CEO acknowledged that Jeeps would be built in China, confirming a statement that unfairly earned Romney the moniker “liar of the year.”
Score one.
Score zero. The man has no credibility.

Though I'm not surprised someone like you supports a puppet like Romney.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:34 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
Liberals are now claiming that the same amount of Jeeps will be made in the U.S. and the Jeeps made in China will be for the chinese market. Lets wait to see how many Jeeps are loaded on a ship, go across the Pacific ocean, off loaded at the Port of Los Angeles, open the hood and see a 'made in china' tag.
Will Romney haters then admit they were wrong? I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies