U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:32 PM

11,368 posts, read 18,561,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunValleyRoadKing View Post
. I own. I support the 2nd Amendment. .
According to the anti gunners if it saves one child you should give it up or at least be severely restricted to it. Kids are dieing from face book, texting and the internet so if it saves one child's life you should be supportive of bans and restrictions by the government on your face book, texting and internet.

Kids are dieing, it doesn't matter if it is from face book and not a gun, kids are dieing so we must demand a plan. Or is it not as important that a kid died from cyber bullying than it is from a gun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 PM

6,156 posts, read 4,137,647 times
It's actually a perfectly legitimate argument, any statement regarding the intended purpose of the object being discussed is no more than an admission that the value provided by its intended use outweighs the cost, ergo its presence is well worth X number of deaths per year. This is a value judgement.

If one wishes to make that statement directly regarding value, that is a perfectly reasonable position to take, however the rhetoric spewed by the anti gun crowd seems to put them on a higher moral plane, as if they would do anything in the world to save one life, while simultaneously ignoring any and all positives present in current realities.

Not that I would expect any illogical anti gun nut to be able to think this critically.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,638,381 times
Kids need to let rude comments roll of their back. Sign them up for assertive training classes----no joke. It does teach we are in charge of our feelings. No one can make us feel anything we won't feel or take seriously.

You learn you can either cry or laugh when someone says something. You ARE in control. How can these kids go through life if they take things so seriously? I know it can get REALLY nasty and then kids need to get adults' help to get it to stop but most times when bullies don't get a rise out of you, they move on.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:39 PM

420 posts, read 284,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
According to the anti gunners if it saves one child you should give it up or at least be severely restricted to it. Kids are dieing from face book, texting and the internet so if it saves one child's life you should be supportive of bans and restrictions by the government on your face book, texting and internet.

Kids are dieing, it doesn't matter if it is from face book and not a gun, kids are dieing so we must demand a plan. Or is it not as important that a kid died from cyber bullying than it is from a gun?
Who cares what the anti-gun crowd says? Using a dumb argument makes the OP just as delusional as they are. People die from all kinds of things. Let's just ban life, to keep ourselves safe, of course.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Who cares what the anti-gun crowd says? Using a dumb argument makes the OP just as delusional as they are. People die from all kinds of things. Let's just ban life, to keep ourselves safe, of course.
It's not an unreasonable argument. Explain in logical terms why intent is relevant when discussing cost to society - or admit that those deaths are okay as long as it provides the general population with certain benefits that outweigh said deaths.

You may be able to admit it, in which case you have made a reasonable rebuttal. One that could be countered with lives saved by guns, but that is a discussion beyond this point.

But ask an anti gun nut if he'd give up his/her facebook to save a child's life, and watch his/her head explode.

Such demonstrates the subjectiveness of their position.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
It's actually a perfectly legitimate argument, any statement regarding the intended purpose of the object being discussed is no more than an admission that the value provided by its intended use outweighs the cost, ergo its presence is well worth X number of deaths per year. This is a value judgement.
Correct, but comparing the two is not valid.

Quote:
If one wishes to make that statement directly regarding value, that is a perfectly reasonable position to take, however the rhetoric spewed by the anti gun crowd seems to put them on a higher moral plane, as if they would do anything in the world to save one life, while simultaneously ignoring any and all positives present in current realities.

Not that I would expect any illogical anti gun nut to be able to think this critically.
Agreed. Extremism sucks, doesn't it.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 PM

5,280 posts, read 3,485,882 times
Quote:
Give it a rest. I own. I support the 2nd Amendment. I can make that statement clearly and proudly without resorting to nonsensical arguments. In what looks like an attempt to make a certain group of people look foolish, the foolishness is turning around and biting you in the ass.
Please let him continue. At this rate, I and the other communists will have all of his guns by June.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Please let him continue. At this rate, I and the other communists will have all of his guns by June.

...but leave my Walther alone, okay?

Quote:
Correct, but comparing the two is not valid.
Yes, because and only because society seems to agree that certain freedoms are worth a certain number of deaths a year.

The OP is obviously not seriously arguing anything to the contrary.

He is however making a demonstration of the hypocrisy of those who will gladly accept death should they deem the benefits in the best interests of themselves and society in general, while simultaneously insisting that others give up their own rights with the rationale that those others are selfish sociopaths for not caring about death.

1,515 posts, read 996,164 times
It's obvious that we should make criminals of everybody that has a Facebook account. Some probably even have high-capacity posts per day. They should incur even stricter penalties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Kids died because of your 1st amendment. Demand a plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies