U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,689,127 times

Advertisements

I think there are valid questions out there and I do hope they will be answered. However, I don't think anyone's curiosity entitles people to contact the residents of Newtown to harass them.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,300,021 times
According to police dispatch, the first calls came in at 9:35am. By 9:53am the building had been cleared by police. That's fast! I would expect the media would have made it in time to at the very least see children being evacuated from the building and to take photos of it. This is a small town, how long could it really take the media to get to the site of a school shooting?

As of now, there is just one photo of students being evacuated (and there are questions about that one photo as it looks like the photos from the drill just a few days prior. You can see the cones in the drill photos and you can see cones in the photo supposedly taken on the day of the shooting.) I find it odd that the media didn't take a photo of the broken glass at the shooter's entry point. The photos of the witnesses show the same few people over and over again. There don't seem to be a lot of people around. It's so unlike the media to not take the opportunity to sensationalize a story such as this one that it is very odd.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 AM

14,920 posts, read 11,140,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm just asking questions - why is THAT somehow suspect or "weird?"
Is the Glenn Beck?

Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM

3,881 posts, read 7,292,263 times
Quote:
I'm just asking questions - why is THAT somehow suspect or "weird?"
Yeah, kinda. I mean there were photos of kids crying and exiting the buildings. What specific kinda of photos would you be looking for and why?

Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM

568 posts, read 822,466 times
Quote:
I think about the relentless media coverage of the tragedy in Columbine - the photos of distraught parents, bloody children climbing out of windows, interviews with staff, and students recalling in horrific detail the events of that morning. The aerial shots as the events went down, the videos from inside the school, interviews with family after family after family.

In this digital age, I find it simply amazing that there aren't more photos of groups of students and parents, crowds of people assembling, during the events of that morning.

Anyone else find that odd? And please don't say that our media has developed a sensitivity to the feelings of others. If so, I'd say it was sudden and in complete unison - which is pretty unbelievable.
This is kind of sick..not enough photos of other people's loss and tradegy...I know some people get off on that kind of thing..didnt know they wrote on CD..but then strange things do appear on CD....

Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 AM

13,940 posts, read 10,889,537 times
Quote:
I'm crazy to ask questions? I'm crazy not to automatically believe, no questions asked, everything I read or hear on the news?

Wow. I think that mindset is really sad.

The day we stop demanding accountability from our media is a sad day for our country indeed.
You're just similar to all the people who claimed that 9-11 events in NYC and DC were all an elaborate government conspiracy, or that the holocaust was a Jewish / liberal conspiracy - people who take a well-documented tragic event and twist it toward their own biased agenda, which is requires way more twisting and turning to believe.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 AM

2,791 posts, read 3,882,458 times
Quote:
I think about the relentless media coverage of the tragedy in Columbine - the photos of distraught parents, bloody children climbing out of windows, interviews with staff, and students recalling in horrific detail the events of that morning. The aerial shots as the events went down, the videos from inside the school, interviews with family after family after family.

In this digital age, I find it simply amazing that there aren't more photos of groups of students and parents, crowds of people assembling, during the events of that morning.

Anyone else find that odd? And please don't say that our media has developed a sensitivity to the feelings of others. If so, I'd say it was sudden and in complete unison - which is pretty unbelievable.
  • It was an elementary school, not a high school. I don't know about where you live, but most elementary students around here don't have cell phones with cameras in school (my second grader definitely doesn't).
  • The school is some distance down a dead-end street. The police blocked the only drive in to the school almost immediately and set up a command post at the adjacent fire station. No non-emergency personnel were allowed anywhere near the school, and the emergency personnel were kinda busy rescuing and calming little kids to be running around snapping pictures.
  • Other shootings were in more open areas and people could access the school and take pictures of escaping students from all sides.
  • At Columbine, the police stayed back and waited for large numbers of officers and SWAT reinforcements for a mass assault on the school. The shooters had unrestricted access to kill at will for an extended period, giving time for the press to gather and take pictures. Police tactics have changed since then. Now, the police enter the school to engage the shooter as soon as possible. Newtown was over in just a few minutes. The press didn't get there until it was all over.
  • There WERE gobs of pictures taken of the crowds of people, but they were gathered at the end of the school's driveway near the fire station.

Incidentally, I'm generally a huge skeptic of conspiracy theories. Even so, I got interested after viewing some of the "it was a hoax" or "the shooting was real, but the details were exaggerated" videos. Some of the "facts" were very compelling, until you examine them closely.
  • The vast majority of the "evidence" gathered by conspiracy theorists is pure coincidence. Mostly caused by sloppy reporting; reporters throwing every single tidbit of new information out before it's been verified to keep from being scooped.
  • Yes, a second man was captured in the woods, handcuffed, and placed in a police cruiser. This was a dad who heard about the shooting and rushed to the school. The main road was blocked, so he ran through the woods from an adjacent road and was quickly grabbed as a suspect. He was released when they determined who he was.
  • The gun found in the trunk was a shotgun, not an AR-15 clone like was originally reported. That's obvious to me from the video. The one shooter had one rifle and two handguns in his possession.
  • The medical examiner is someone who obviously doesn't handle extreme pressure very well (like having a dozen cameras pointed at him while he tries to answer rapid questions). No evidence of lying, just embarrassment.
  • The story by the neighbor who found the six kids and the bus driver on his lawn checks out if you listen to the whole story instead of bits and pieces.
  • The "evidence" showing the donation pages were created before the shooting is only evidence of problems with Google's search engine. Even now, you can search for Sandy Hook Shooting and limit the results to before Dec 14 and still get results. Also, you can look up creation dates on specific URLs (public information), and none were created before Dec 14. This is the one that first caught my attention, but after a little research it was quickly debunked and I learned something new about search engines.
  • The little girl with Obama was Emily's sister (they looked alike, and all three sisters had the exact same style of red and black formal dress - I've seen the pictures). I've seen videos where both the little sister's and Emily's faces are overlaid onto the picture with Obama, and it's clear Obama was with the little sister and NOT Emily.This one got me until I saw the second video with the little sister.
  • One dad's Facebook "donation" page was created by late morning of Dec 14th. LONG before there was 100% certainty that his daughter was actually dead and not hiding under a desk or in the woods. I read it as, "I'm devastated at the loss of my daughter , but if you send me $20 I'll feel better. " This is the same dad that was caught on camera laughing and joking about something, then when he see the camera, he stop, visibly "gets into character", and is crying during the interview. This is one bit of "evidence" that concerned me the most and can't be innocently explained. But just because one dad is a greedy *** doesn't mean the rest of the events are all conspiracy.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:47 AM

6,976 posts, read 7,753,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
I believe the goal is to make it more difficult to obtain weapons and magazines which are used to cause a high number of deaths, such as in the San Ysidro McDonalds massacre, this one and others. What sort of gun legislation would you implement?
So, the goal is to make less than 1% of firearms homicides less horrendous? That seems to be a fairly idiotic goal, to be honest. As for what sort of firearms legislation I would suggest, it's been discussed in other threads, but here are a few:

1: Enforce existing gun laws. If we don't have the time or manpower to do this (as claimed by Joe Biden), we definitely don't have time to enact new ones.
2: Stricter background checks. Include limited mental health evaluations, such as whether or not the purchaser has a history of violent psychosis.
3: Close loopholes on private firearms sales, and either allow citizens to run the background checks or limit the fees that an FFL dealer can charge to run those checks.
4: Get rid of our catch-and-release program that turns our prison system into a revolving door. Enact and enforce legislation that calls for mandatory minimum sentencing when a firearm is used in a crime. Many firearms crimes are an issue of recidivism.

Those are a few that I would support and that are sensible.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 AM

9,608 posts, read 9,820,285 times
The o.p. has completely destroyed what little credibility she had been granted by default. Continued posting in this FAILED thread is nothing short of an admission of the most despicable kind of idle curiosity. WTF??!! Don't you people have any shame??

Old 01-21-2013, 12:00 PM

8,101 posts, read 4,988,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You either buy the garbage being fed you or are called a "conspiracy nut".
That's the reality....that's the kind of polarization we're seeing today. And people on CD like to call the skeptics "paranoid schizos" but at the opposite end on that spectrum....for every "paranoid schizo", I'd say there are 2 willfully ignorant and naive individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies