U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 11:27 AM

17,611 posts, read 19,031,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
One thing I want to point out is that, in Connecticut, people are very reserved. We are private, don't sensationalize, don't exaggerate and generally shy away from cameras. We frown upon people snapping photos just to make a story. The media recognized this immediately, and left Connecticut pretty quickly. Why? Very few people were allowing them to capitalize on their story. Also, I know firsthand, that teachers and staff have been asked to refrain from conducting interviews, so students don't see them on TV, thus reliving the experience.

The Connecticut State Police are known for being among the most professional LEA in the nation. They have been tight lipped about their findings, as they should be. More information will come out as the investigation comes to a close.

The evening of the tragedy, I went to a mass in downtown Sandy Hook. When walking to and from the mass, reporters were begging for an interview from everyone and anyone. Not one person stopped to grant them a story. Not one.

This is a prime example of the people of Connecticut exhibiting class, maintaining a professional and determined demeanor, and not allowing the media to exploit them.

Our country gets by on sensationalism, and when people are refused facts, they resort to their own, skewed conclusions, as seen in this thread.
Excellent post. Thank you.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 AM

4,566 posts, read 4,432,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Kathryn, Kathryn, Kathryn...

Do you fail to see the difference between a stranger rolling up on terrible accident and a mother/father rushing to the site of a massacre not knowing the fate of their own child??
Do you think the only people who showed up at the site were parents? You don't think there were others who heard the sirens, who lived nearby, who showed up to see what was going on?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 AM

16,730 posts, read 23,151,705 times
Repost:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It did happen, and I know exactly why. The initial call for help from first responders said "call everyone". So, they did. They called the nearby communities of Oxford, Redding, Monroe, Southbury, Shelton and Brookfield. Since Oxford is closest, they were first on scene (you can see Oxford Ambulance in many of the pictures).

A friend's mom works for the Shelton Ambulance. She was in the process of responding and Oxford called to tell them not to come, since at that point, the fate was known. They turned around, and I'm assuming other towns turned around and went home as well. It was very early on when my friend inboxed me on Facebook with this information. I still have this inbox.

If you want to see it, DM me and I will email you a screen shot from my phone.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 AM

8,561 posts, read 5,445,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ray, Ray, Ray...

Do you honestly doubt that people take photos and videos of the most awful events as they happen?
I honestly find it hard to believe that you would EXPECT people in such an emotional situation to take photos and videos. WHY would anyone want to memorialize such a horrific situation in photos?

Usually the people photographing "awful events" are not personally involved and waiting to get news of whether or not their child was brutally killed by a mentally disturbed gunman.

Are YOU really that calloused?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 AM

44,675 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Kathryn, Kathryn, Kathryn...

Do you fail to see the difference between a stranger rolling up on terrible accident and a mother/father rushing to the site of a massacre not knowing the fate of their own child??
Nope, but apparently you have a bit more faith in human nature than I do.

I also thought, the day it happened, as I was watching the news, that the actions of Emilie Parker's dad were really, really "off." My opinion of his actions is that they were quite inappropriate and basically WEIRD for a man who had just had his daughter massacred, along with 19 other kids.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:30 AM

10,357 posts, read 7,974,037 times
Quote:
Not too convincing. One photo of two parents hugging each other (with no one else in the photo) and one photo of a very sparse "crowd" (in other words, not a crowd) of people (42 or so - a number that includes numerous law enforcement personnel in uniform) of people in the fire station - which is where we are told the parents of 600 children converged to wait.

So no, I'm not "happy." None of the photos (and there are precious few of them) from that day make me "happy." Nothing at all about ANY of the events of that day make me "happy" or could EVER make me "happy."

Your comprehensive answer to every Sandy Hook conspiracy theory - Salon.com

Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 AM

17,611 posts, read 19,031,172 times
Quote:
Not too convincing. One photo of two parents hugging each other (with no one else in the photo) and one photo of a very sparse "crowd" (in other words, not a crowd) of people (42 or so - a number that includes numerous law enforcement personnel in uniform) of people in the fire station - which is where we are told the parents of 600 children converged to wait.

So no, I'm not "happy." None of the photos (and there are precious few of them) from that day make me "happy." Nothing at all about ANY of the events of that day make me "happy" or could EVER make me "happy."
Did it ever occur to you that many of the parents of these children actually commute to NYC for work and simply had not arrived at the scene when those photos were taken? Is absolutely EVERYTHING suspect?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 AM

44,675 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I honestly find it hard to believe that you would EXPECT people in such an emotional situation to take photos and videos. WHY would anyone want to memorialize such a horrific situation in photos?

Usually the people photographing "awful events" are not personally involved and waiting to get news of whether or not their child was brutally killed by a mentally disturbed gunman.

Are YOU really that calloused?
No, just realistic.

But it's not just the photos - in my opinion, there are numerous inconsistencies and oddities about the story as it's being presented. The lack of photos is just one piece of information that doesn't add up to me.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 AM

10,357 posts, read 7,974,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post

I believe that people were killed that day. I feel for the families of those people and the town as a whole. I don't believe that things happened in the way that we are being told that they happened. Those are just my thoughts based on everything I have gathered. I may be wrong and I actually hope that I am but that's where I stand at this moment in time.

Your comprehensive answer to every Sandy Hook conspiracy theory - Salon.com

Old 01-23-2013, 11:34 AM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
For those of you who keep asking for Dorthy's list of questions, here ya go!

I had also asked the following questions:

Was the photo of the kids in a line taken the day of the shooting, or was it from a drill at some previous time? If a photographer was present the day of the shooting to get that ONE now well-known photo, why did s/he not take any other photos of the evacuation? If this photo was from a drill on a previous day, that doesn't mean the shooting was a hoax, but why doesn't the media truthfully tell us when that photo was taken?

Why does the aerial photography of what was supposedly Sandy Hook School includes features that are not part of the Sandy Hook property? If the helicopters were somehow circling over the wrong school, and some of the photos we've seen were not actually SH, why doesn't the media admit this error and clear up the confusion?

I will repeat: I absolutely DO believe the shootings occurred, I am not a gun nut, I do not own a gun, but the media has done a very poor job of addressing the inconsistencies and errors in their reporting in regard to this story. Every news outlet in the country must be aware of the "conspiracy theories" abounding. It seems to me they would want to address the questions.
The first question has been addressed, but this IS a long thread.

The photographer from the Newtown Bee, a local, says she took that photo during the evacuation (the one where the kids have their hands on the shoulder of the person ahead of them and there eyes are closed. I don't think they'd have their eyes closed during a drill, do you? I do remember seeing a photo of the drill from a few days earlier--the one that someone at the school tweeted. Perhaps that's why there is confusion. That picture was also published.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies