U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 12:10 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,310,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
And they're not going to acknowledge it. The purpose for posting about this topic seems to be to confuse people, to create a smoke screen in order to bash "the government" and "the media" in order to make people think that the "government" is so evil that they would somehow (nothing really specific) be involved in this horrific event in order to take their guns away. I think "trolls" is a very good word.
I don't have any guns for anyone to take away. I'm sorry I don't fit the stereotype. I would simply like honesty and integrity from the media.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:10 PM

8,561 posts, read 5,448,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sigh. I never said it was suspicious. I stated that to refute the assertion by a poster that it was such a horrific event as it was unfolding that no one, no bystanders, no media personnel, no one had the presence of mind to take photos.

The kids - hundreds of kids - were ushered out of the school. We have one photo. There were HUNDREDS of parents gathered there. We have zero shots of hundreds - and just a few shots of small groups of people - the vast majority of which show no crowds, or have a very blurry background with only a few people in focus.

Considering that there was some time in which the shocking number of 26 casualties was not known, or even SUSPECTED by the media who were on the scene reporting, I just find this odd. I still find it odd. I don't know why it is the way it is, I don't know why there aren't more photos, I don't know how or why there are inconsistencies and oddities to the stories - I just think that cumulatively speaking, there are still many unanswered questions - and more keep cropping up.

I am looking forward to the full report which I guess will be made public in the future. Hopefully that report will lay to rest most of the questions.
Based on the context of your posts, your word "odd" seems to be just another word for suspicious.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
And you accuse other people of being conspiracy theorist ...
I haven't accused anyone of being a conspiracy theorist. Maybe others on here have, but not me.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 PM

1,597 posts, read 979,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Being a loving mother and very actively involved grandmother is indicative of the fact that I am not a calloused, hard hearted person. I think you know that I meant that.

I have, however, been "accused" all my life of being a very logical, objective person with a very active curiosity and a gift for research and gathering facts. Those traits have served me well in both my personal and professional life.
Yes, but don't you have any sympathy for lies?

Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I don't have any guns for anyone to take away. I'm sorry I don't fit the stereotype. I would simply like honesty and integrity from the media.
The word "your" was not specific to YOU.

If all you want is "honesty and integrity" from the media, then perhaps you should address "the media." We don't have government run/controlled media in this country, so there is no ONE place that determines how reporters and journalists behave nor what they report. To suggest that "the media" should do anything in unison is really rather simplistic, IMO.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:16 PM

44,791 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Mightyqueen - I'll address this:

Quote:
The most plausible reason for there not being more evacuation pictures is that the media might just have a good old-fashioned fear of litigation. Slapping up photos of identifiable small children for all the world to gawk at without parental consent would make any good lawyer sit up and reach for his phone.

As we all know from the Newtown Bee links in this thread, the one photo shown over and over again was snapped by a Bee photographer/reporter who is a local and knows the families And I doubt that suing The Newtown Bee would make anyone rich.
I don't know that it's ever stopped a reporter before. Like I said, we were lambasted with photos and videos of minors with gunshot wounds and horrific injuries after Columbine - and with photos of bloodied babies dragged from the ruins of the Alfred Murray Federal building in OKC.

Also, it's not just the media I'm talking about - it's photos by private individuals which so often seem to come to the forefront in a tragedy - for instance like the videos from 9/11 and the tsunamis.

Once again, to clarify, in case I'm accused of this yet again - I am not ASKING TO LOOK AT SUCH TERRIBLE PHOTOS. I am just struck by the absence of them.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Based on the context of your posts, your word "odd" seems to be just another word for suspicious.
OMG.

I don't believe I ever said it was "odd" that at first the public and the media didn't know the full extent of the casualties. I don't consider that to be either odd OR suspicious.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
You asked me to look up something for you repeatedly. If you weren't really interested, why did you ask? I don't need to retype what I already wrote just because you wanted to see it but were too lazy to look it up yourself.
You've expended more energy refusing to repost your list than it would have taken to look it up. Have you not noticed that I am not on your side, that I am your opponent in this conversation? Now why would I want to look up your list and repost it? And, no, you don't need to retype. You just need to post a link to it. Btw, the word "lazy" is not a trigger word for me.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:21 PM

Now if you'll excuse me, I want to clarify that I am about to go outside and work in my yard, and may not be back online for the rest of the day. This does not mean that I am "abandoning the thread."

Old 01-23-2013, 12:22 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,310,464 times
Quote:
The word "your" was not specific to YOU.

If all you want is "honesty and integrity" from the media, then perhaps you should address "the media." We don't have government run/controlled media in this country, so there is no ONE place that determines how reporters and journalists behave nor what they report. To suggest that "the media" should do anything in unison is really rather simplistic, IMO.
If I'm not scared of people taken my non-existent guns so what is motive for asking questions? I don't fit neatly into your scenario.

I do expect honesty and integrity from the media which I'm aware is owned and controlled by a small handful of billion dollar corporations with special interests and profits to worry about. Maybe I'm being too idealistic in expecting that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies