U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 01:46 PM

28,206 posts, read 20,778,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Notice how many of my FIRSTHAND accounts are being ignored? Not one of my posts were responded to by these trolls. Not one.
Not one? Did my reply to you not go through?

Old 01-23-2013, 01:47 PM

56,259 posts, read 54,712,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Mightyqueen - I'll address this:

I don't know that it's ever stopped a reporter before. Like I said, we were lambasted with photos and videos of minors with gunshot wounds and horrific injuries after Columbine - and with photos of bloodied babies dragged from the ruins of the Alfred Murray Federal building in OKC.

Also, it's not just the media I'm talking about - it's photos by private individuals which so often seem to come to the forefront in a tragedy - for instance like the videos from 9/11 and the tsunamis.

Once again, to clarify, in case I'm accused of this yet again - I am not ASKING TO LOOK AT SUCH TERRIBLE PHOTOS. I am just struck by the absence of them.
I don't think the "minors" in Columbine are in the same category as these little kids, and OKC is a whole nother animal, and I think the fact that these kids were not injured has something to do with the withholding of photos out of fear of lawsuits. Any time you have a photo of an identifiable child in a newspaper, it's not published unless the parental consent is obtained. I don't know at what age that stops, but I seem to recall a lawsuit wherein a non-custodial parent under a restraining order was able to find a child because of a newpaper photo. I don't know if this is the answer or not, but it seems the most logical one to me.

Curious--WERE there a lot of private individuals on hand who were not parents who would be taking pics? Does anyone know this? Also, we saw the sign that says NO MEDIA PAST THIS POINT, and the article about the Newtown Bee reporting talks about "the line of reporters across the street", so maybe it just wasn't possible to film the evacuation from their vantage point.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I have noticed that each and every one of them has blatantly ignored your contributions. They will not respond to your facts and eyewitness account because it doesn't fit into their narrative of sinister agendas.
Selective reading?

Old 01-23-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Yes, I do. My sinister agenda is that I believe that there is nothing "odd" or "suspicious" about the reporting of the events surrounding the Sandy Hook tragedy. I guess that makes my public enemy #1 in the minds of some around here who believe that EVERYTHING is suspect.
I guess I could the same about you being so suspicious of people questioning the stories we read. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Old 01-23-2013, 01:50 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,316,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
What's twisted about his example?
Did you see my post about media sources? Just checking because I don't want to hear you and Ray badger me for them again in an hour when you forget all about the fact that I already answered your question way back when. Just a friendly reminder.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Translation to all this: We think the Obama Marxist government is behind this "shooting". It's creating an excuse to confiscate guns.

Mentally ill, every single one of you.
Except that most of us, here on this thread, do not own a single gun and/or voted for Obama.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:52 PM

4,579 posts, read 4,451,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You said the mainstream media and multiple other sources. You continue to discredit the MM, so where do you get your credible info. Who/what are those "multiple sources"?? It's not a hard question. wtf!!
It is quite possible (in fact likely) to distrust (therefore attempt to discredit) the mainstream media, without having any other source of TRULY CREDIBLE information. I absolutely don't trust everything I read in the newspaper, or see on CNN, or any other news channel. I know that it has all been spun and approved to convey exactly the slant desired by the media owners.

I can spot inconsistencies and curiosities in the media reporting (BTW, I watch all the major networks, and subscribe to my local paper and WSJ, plus read news on Yahoo, since you're very curious as to everyone's news gathering habits), but unfortunately I don't have an entirely credible news source. No one does.

I don't know why some posters keep asking where do we get our credible info. I get the same INcredible info that everyone else does.

no "wtf" needed, tyvm

Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM

6,968 posts, read 5,428,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right. There are 600 students at that school - multiply that by at least two parents per student - and we have ONE photo of kids being led out of the school? ZERO clear shots of large crowds of parents? (I can't find any - maybe you can.)

I just think it's odd.

I am not saying that a shooting didn't occur. I am just wondering at the lack of photos and videos in this digital age. If people can find more, please let me know - I'd prefer not to have to wonder about this.
Why are the photos so important to you? Many posters have posted perfectly reasonable explanations for why there might be fewer photos for this tragedy than for others. How many photos would you have to see in order for you to no longer be in a state of wonder??

Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM

10,797 posts, read 13,701,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Except that most of us, here on this thread, do not own a single gun and/or voted for Obama.
What is the motivation creating a fake school shooting, then?

Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What is the motivation creating a fake school shooting, then?
No one said the school shooting was fake. As a matter of fact, all of the people posting the questions about media coverage firmly and explicitly stated we know the shooting happened. Way to read the thread. Or even the first 5 pages of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies