Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 02:09 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

To answer some of Dorthy's other questions specifically about Lanza at the top of her question: This is where you and I differ. I don't think it will matter a hill of beans if we find out "why" Lanza did this or that or the other thing or what he thought. Who cares why he destroyed his hard drive other than it would have been interesting for shrinks to look at? I don't think it will matter one way or the other if we enact new gun laws, or worry about prescription drugs, or have armed guards at schools, or monitor gun-loving mothers with crazy sons. Sometimes terrible things happen and there is no way anyone could have predicted them or prevented them. This is one of those terrible things. All the pointing and blaming and twisting and turning is not going to change the fact that there are people walking amongst us, right now, who may just snap and bring on the next incident. Everyone jumps on what they want to because of their own personal agendas. For some, it's gun control. For others, it's anti-pharmeceuticals. For others, it's about not locking up crazy people. Some will always get through, no matter what we do.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:10 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
17. How do so many parents interviewed on camera manage to not shed a single tear while talking about their murdered child? Not one tear? And yes, I have had many people close to me die and I have known mothers who have lost their children. It's plausible that some people would not shed tears but it's not plausible that everyone would not shed tears. Be careful. Isn't that the same sort of presumptuousness that sent an innocent Lindy Chamberlain to prison? You do not know how someone else "should" act if you are not them. Further, the parents who were not be able to contain their grief are unlikely to have agreed to appear on camera for that very reason.

DORTHY: Are you saying that I could go to prison for asking this question. Yikes!!!

Um, don't want to quote the entire list at once, so I copied this q out and will do so with the others, but I was a little put off by this response. Why on earth would you read something like that into what I said?????

Lindy Chamberlain ("A dingo ate my baby". Remember????) was the reference. THE POINT was that she was not only villified for not showing the "proper" amount of emotion over losing her infant, it was decided that not being emotional enough meant that she had murdered her baby. She went to prison for years until evidence that a dingo really did kill her child was found by accident. What some are doing--sneering at grieving parents for not acting grief-stricken enough--is exactly that same behavior.
Sorry, I didn't catch that. Believe it or not, I have a lot going around me while I'm posting and sometimes miss things. You are right. That could be dangerous and I understand your concern.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Holy Cow, has this thread ever taken off since I went to get my nails done! I've only read through #540, b/c I was busy reading another thread that had taken off as well. FWIW, here's a post from a person who knows genealogy regarding mistakes in "official records".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Exactly.
Sites like ancestry.com allow you to correct the data base with the addition of an alternate name to the official information because so many of the old records have mistakes made when they were transcribed to a data base. If the handwriting was hard to read, the name was entered incorrectly. The same is true with dates, etc.--it's all a matter of human error in data transcription. If you know the correct information (eg. for a family member) and can add it as an alternative to the data base, it helps the next researcher down the line. Again--data bases are wrong all the time--that's why you always have to go back to the actual source documents and check those vs. the data base.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Maybe if you bothered to read the thread, you wouldn't have to pain your fingers with useless typing of a question that has been addressed several times over the last 78 pages. 78.

I'm trying to figure out why the media would deliberately lie about a school shooting.

That question has not been answered.

If the entire treatise of "questions" you people are addressing is to simply indicate that the media can be inaccurate, well, they did indicate that the wrong Lanza brother was the killer for a period of time, so what's the point in continuing to harp on things like there not being many pictures of the evacuation?

If there was no agenda, you would have stopped already.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Did you see my post about media sources? Just checking because I don't want to hear you and Ray badger me for them again in an hour when you forget all about the fact that I already answered your question way back when. Just a friendly reminder.

Yep. Saw your post about your news sources. Nobody is "badgering" you. Just asking simple questions.

You didn't answer the question about what was so twisted about dman's example of "Have you stopped beating your children" as a loaded question.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Yep. Saw your post about your news sources. Nobody is "badgering" you. Just asking simple questions.

You didn't answer the question about what was so twisted about dman's example of "Have you stopped beating your children" as a loaded question.
You didn't answer my question about where you get your news. So what. And yes, ray was badgering me.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
I do find it odd that he destroyed his hard drive. I also find it odd that this information was released yet everything else regarding his home is hush hush. He was willing to kill innocent children yet he did not want anyone to know what he was up to online. Really?
Based on...what you would do if you were going to kill innocent children? He obviously had something very wrong going on inside his skull. Normal people don't point a gun at a six-year-old and pull a trigger 11 times. I don't think you can sit there as a rational person and say he would do this or that.

Quote:
I don't know for a fact that he was a lone gunman. I actually doubt that he was.
Based on?

Quote:
Someone set up a page 4 days prior, posted nothing and then changed it to a memorial page 4 days later? I don't believe that one for a second. Sorry.
So what do you believe? That someone really set up a memorial page for someone before they died? THAT'S plausible but not someone using an already open page on a site that probably has thousands of new pages opened every day?

Quote:
I looked at the actual FB page with my own eyes. I don't know if it is still up but if it is, check it out.
Will try, but I'm not a Facebook user. I have an account, don't know if it would still be active or if I would be able to tell what I was looking at.

Quote:
I asked because the police initially said to the press that they would remove the bodies the following day and then removed them that night.
Maybe because the police didn't want the press there, no? That one seems kind of obvious. Or I could be nice and say they got finished faster than they thought they would be, but I'm pretty sure they would have wanted to keep the press out of the way for that.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
You didn't answer my question about where you get your news. So what. And yes, ray was badgering me.
I was trying to keep you honest. I did miss your post #577 - the "view last unread" function sometimes does not work properly. So then, you posted:
Quote:
I get my news from a wide variety of sources, incuding NBC, ABC, PBS, alternet, mother jones, village voice, etc., etc, etc. This entire thread exists due to a lack of integrity in the MSM. Is that really difficult to understand?
Which of those do you consider to be "mainstream media"?

Last edited by ray1945; 01-23-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
My reaction to the smoke and mirrors given by the media is a gut level reaction and I'm offended by the BS. And yes, reporters could walk up to the school. There are some photos proving that to be true.
As of January 14 the only road leading to the school was still blocked, and presumably there is security to keep everyone out. So it is not likely a reporter could just walk up to the school. I have seen no evidence that any reporters have done that.

This is as close as anyone is going to get.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 01-23-2013 at 03:23 PM..

Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I don't believe that is true in most states.
Child Photography or Videotaping Consent Laws | Lawyers.com
From Your Link Above:

A Children's Rights Lawyer Can Help

The law surrounding children is complicated. Plus, the facts of each case are unique. This article provides a brief, general introduction to the topic. For more detailed, specific information, please contact a children's rights lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies