U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 PM

29,419 posts, read 18,638,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Verbally sneered at the mainstream media? That is just too funny. I got a news flash for you ... those that "sneer" at the MSM are simply demonstrating an IQ greater than the outdoor temperature at the North Pole. For those who champion the integrity of the mainstream media, they must either have recently awakened from a multi-decade coma, or have lost all ability for critical analysis and rational thinking, because the MSM's well proven slippery grip on the truth is hardly a classified state secret any longer. And though this is not a new development, never before has the MSM been more blatantly and flagrantly dishonest, nor consequently have they ever been more distrusted by those who retain the capacity for independent thought. (which may or may not represent a majority any longer).

By being the only source of information available to the public for the majority of the past 100 years, this total monopoly on information created the arrogance and hubris that the mass media no longer seems capable of restraining. But in light of losing massive market share over the past 20 years to countless other competing sources of more truthful and credible information, stretching the entire globe and just a mouse click away, a new approach was needed. And the choice made was to redirect the focus away from the information itself, to the perceptions of credibility of those competing sources.

This will of course never be a topic discussed across the mainstream airwaves, for obvious reasons, though it speaks directly to the question you raise about "sources" and your rather inane defense of the integrity of the mainstream media as the most credible source, which is altogether laughable for anyone that remains in touch with reality.

The solution chosen was that since the information can no longer be totally controlled, the next best thing is to impugn any contrary sources, which is reflected in this irrational attachment to "sources" that you demonstrate, which also dominates much of the public discourse, all the while few even notice this is even happening. But if you pay attention, it's everywhere. You can hardly read one page of any thread on any topic on City Data that isn't citing a source, or calling for a source, or dismissing a source. Every debate revolves around whether it's Democrat or Republican, Left or Right, Liberal or Conservative, and never about an honest debate about the facts.

Today, it's all about sources .... sources ... sources .... sources ... what's your source ... where's your link ..... link please? This total preoccupation with sources has rendered the information itself, virtually irrelevant. And this is the death of logic and critical analysis for those so conditioned, because no longer is the focus on analyzing the information content critically, but simply a choice of which sources to believe, and which to reject. This leaves you free to avoid actually having to analyze information, events, and situations, which often requires weeding through fragments of information from many different sources to reconstruct an accurate picture of the truth. To many, this is just too much like work, and they prefer the much easier method of letting others do all of that thinking, which is precisely the goal.

This focus on source renders it's unsuspecting victim totally stripped of their own personal power of common sense, logic and reason, leaving them totally at the mercy of their accepted sources. Of course, it is always wise to consider sources, but not to the extent that the information becomes irrelevant or subordinate. The information should always be the the primary consideration, with one's own common sense, logic and reason as the sole measure of credibility, rather than accepting someone else's conclusions, blindly.

The push we've been seeing toward authoritarianism relies heavily on this basic formula of trust of official sources. This belief that sources define truth, with the key being that "official sources" represent the ultimate truth, is totally Orwellian in nature. Because the mainstream media and officials can no longer control the countless sources of information, they must create the perception that any source other than official sources are not trustworthy, and should be viewed with skepticism. But should any one of those questionable sources directly challenge the official information, the reaction turns from skepticism to outright hostility. So truth become relative rather than absolute, because the truth is now determined by the source of the information, rather than the information itself.

One of the most glaring examples of this psychologically "conditioned" reaction is today's big favorite ... the "Conspiracy Theory". Anything that steps outside the official narrative, regardless of subject, is immediately labeled thusly. But this is not critical thinking, this is pure conditioned response. And when you find yourself labeling everything that doesn't fit your current understanding as a conspiracy theory, and calling everyone who's information challenges your accepted beliefs as crazy conspiracy theorists, you can rest assured that you are responding like one of Pavlov's dogs that salivate at the sound of a bell ringing. You are not thinking .. you are simply responding just as you have been trained to respond ... which of course, to those so affected, even this idea of being trained to respond a certain way is itself conspiracy nonsense. Unfortunately, many people are trapped in this intellectual quicksand, and the only way to escape it is to first realize you're in it.

One need only understand one very basic fact ..... sources do not determine truth ... only the content of the information does. The truth is the truth, and a lie is a lie, regardless of the source. To think otherwise is not thinking at all.
All one needs to do is look at operation mockingbird. In congressional hearings it was proven the CIA was paying off editors and reporters in most media outlets. I'm sure they don't do that anymore though. lol

Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,822,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
They don't like what they're reading!

You know, I was living in the Denver metro area when Columbine happened (still do live there, BTW). We got a lot more media stuff than everyone else, and yet, I do not recall one picture of any "minor with gunshot wounds" from that horror.
That event was covered nationally. I was in Reno at that time. All of the Reno TV stations were retransmitting the live feeds of the Denver network affiliates, and CNN and Fox were covering it non-stop. I saw live helicopter video of more then a few images of students with gunshot wounds, and worse. Eventually the feeds got cut off, when they got too bloody. But I believe the coverage was stopped by the Denver affiliates, not the networks.

Incidentally that was the single most incompetent police rescue operation I have ever had the misfortune of watching live on TV. In between the pictures of bloody students, they showed pictures of cops sitting in their cars at the command post, eating their lunch, and not one cop doing anything to get inside the building. WTF, how the hell do cops just sit there eating, while students were dying inside. That was as pathetic of police work I have every seen. I would never have expected that from cops around Denver.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 PM

112 posts, read 175,980 times
Wow! An 85 page long thread about people complaining as to why the media/police haven't released pictures/video of the dead/dying, six and seven year olds. WTF!!

Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 PM

16,438 posts, read 19,058,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Haha!!!! I'm not a republican. I actually voted for Obama the first time around. I get my media from a variety of sources, the mainstream media being one of them.
I promise this is not a trick question; I'd really appreciate your input: in general, which news source do you trust the most? They all seem to be paid mouth pieces for one agenda or another to me.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:15 AM

55,354 posts, read 54,008,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesABQ View Post
Wow! An 85 page long thread about people complaining as to why the

media/police haven't released pictures/video of the dead/dying, six and seven year olds. WTF!!
Exactly what this thread was NOT about, but thanks for proving a point I made about Americans not being able to read anymore.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 AM

6,965 posts, read 5,394,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
All one needs to do is look at operation mockingbird. In congressional hearings it was proven the CIA was paying off editors and reporters in most media outlets. I'm sure they don't do that anymore though. lol
Operation Mockingbird was conceived in the late 1940s, implemented in the early 50s, exposed in the mid 60s and shut down in the 70s. As information became more easily available to ordinary people, it became harder and harder to keep the wool pulled over people's eyes.

In the 50s, when Operation Mockingbird was doing its best work, news was easily controlled because there were relatively few news outlets when you compare then to now. Maybe 3 hours a day of TV news, radio, newspapers, and movie news reels. The American people were fed their CIA produced soma and lived in blissful ignorance. According to many on this forum, those were the glory days to which the US should return.

In 2013, it would be almost impossible to control what Americans see and hear - information is everywhere. The best a covert operation could do is an attempt to dumb down the populace to the point that they cannot make sense of what they see/hear. That operation is proceeding beautifully...

Old 01-24-2013, 06:33 AM

44,179 posts, read 35,719,317 times
Quote:
Actually, I figured if I posted that, someone would dredge up something. However, this kid may have been bleeding severely, but you can't tell from the picture.

Maybe I'm just not a "blood and gore" person. I had a kid in HS at the time, and she was very upset by the shootings, so we didn't watch with an eagle eye to see how much blood there was.
Well, I didn't have to "dredge it up." As you can see, it was on television (this is a screen shot) and yes, the poor kid was bleeding profusely. This image, unfortunately, has become one of the iconic images of that terrible day.

Are you missing my point intentionally? I hope so.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Well, your side is hardly innocent of those tactics, either.
I'm only responsible for my own actions.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Well its a very upsetting thing thats for sure and I guess the investigation will take a bit of time.
Well, amen to this!

Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Exactly what this thread was NOT about, but thanks for proving a point I made about Americans not being able to read anymore.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies