U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 02:54 PM

9,487 posts, read 9,358,570 times

Advertisements

For those dissatisified with the American networks' reportage of what happened at Sandy Hook, did RT (a Russian media outlet) or Press TV (an Iranian media outlet) do a better job?

Old 01-24-2013, 03:01 PM

1,597 posts, read 976,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
For those dissatisified with the American networks' reportage of what happened at Sandy Hook, did RT (a Russian media outlet) or Press TV (an Iranian media outlet) do a better job?
They got any correspondents over here?

Old 01-24-2013, 03:10 PM

17,611 posts, read 18,992,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Sorry to keep you waiting.
It was implied earlier in the thread by the OP (and a few others) but you were the first to actually post what they were too genteel to state (but most likely believe) and the real reason behind the questioning of the events surrounding the Sandy Hook tragedy.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:18 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,956,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
It was implied earlier in the thread by the OP (and a few others) but you were the first to actually post what they were too genteel to state (but most likely believe) and the real reason behind the questioning of the events surrounding the Sandy Hook tragedy.
And what was it? What is the reason why anyone, including the media, would be hiding or manipulating the facts surrounding the Sandy Hook massacre? I must have missed where someone spelled it out.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:31 PM

5,576 posts, read 3,598,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
One thing I want to point out is that, in Connecticut, people are very reserved. We are private, don't sensationalize, don't exaggerate and generally shy away from cameras. We frown upon people snapping photos just to make a story. The media recognized this immediately, and left Connecticut pretty quickly. Why? Very few people were allowing them to capitalize on their story. Also, I know firsthand, that teachers and staff have been asked to refrain from conducting interviews, so students don't see them on TV, thus reliving the experience.

The Connecticut State Police are known for being among the most professional LEA in the nation. They have been tight lipped about their findings, as they should be. More information will come out as the investigation comes to a close.

The evening of the tragedy, I went to a mass in downtown Sandy Hook. When walking to and from the mass, reporters were begging for an interview from everyone and anyone. Not one person stopped to grant them a story. Not one.

This is a prime example of the people of Connecticut exhibiting class, maintaining a professional and determined demeanor, and not allowing the media to exploit them.

Our country gets by on sensationalism, and when people are refused facts, they resort to their own, skewed conclusions, as seen in this thread.
Can't rep you again, but this is worth reading. As many times as it takes by the insensitive, selfish, cruel posters on this board.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:40 PM

17,611 posts, read 18,992,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
And what was it? What is the reason why anyone, including the media, would be hiding or manipulating the facts surrounding the Sandy Hook massacre? I must have missed where someone spelled it out.
That's the problem...no one is spelling it out. They obviously believe that there is something nefarious happening but will not spell it out.

Trust me, I am patiently waiting for those who believe that something is amiss in the reporting and events surrounding this tragedy to say what they really think. They have been dancing around their true thoughts for several days with only faint hints at what they really believe.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,298,686 times
Quote:
Which is?

Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM

6,976 posts, read 7,751,831 times
Quote:
But the fact remains: why would anyone be hiding or manipulating facts about the massacre at Sandy Hook? To what end?
I'll bite on that one

While I don't have any way of knowing for sure that there is a cover-up or disinformation campaign going on about Sandy Hook, I have thought about what a motive behind such a cover-up could be. Whether it is the motive, however, is another question (if there is a motive at all). Speculation is just that, and while I enjoy speculation I'm not about to stand on a rooftop and declare myself to be the only one with an answer.

There's a Latin term, "Cui bono?" It means "Who benefits?" In this situation, who is seeing a benefit politically? I would say it's those who are pushing for more stringent gun control legislation.

Now, a lot of the outrage that is coming about due to Sandy Hook is based on the factors of 1) a lone gunman managed to kill 26 people in a surprisingly short amount of time and 2) he used an "assault rifle" to do it. What would happen to that outrage if it were to come out that there were actually more than one gunman and the weapons used were handguns?

While it would still be a senseless tragedy, it would no longer be seen as quite so shocking if 2, 3, or 4 gunmen were involved in the massacre. And if the weapons used were handguns, which are the most common form of firearm owned by Americans, the chances of getting a ban on handguns through the legislative process would be about what it is right now, which is somewhere between zero and nothing.

As it stands now, the "new and improved" AWB has very little chance of making it through the Senate, much less the House, but it at least has a chance to be passed due to the outrage over Sandy Hook. It gives the lawmakers something that they can point to and say "Look, we did something to stop these crimes," whether or not it is actually effective. The people pushing the legislation get to stand around and pat each other on the back, the masses of sheeple who think that guns cause crime will be jumping for joy because at least some guns will no longer be sold (legally, at least), and it opens the way for future incursions on gun rights.

Edited to add: On the other hand, it's entirely possible that what we are seeing in the reporting on Sandy Hook is simply more evidence that journalism, as has always been the case, attracts the lazy and inept along with people who genuinely wish to "get to the bottom of the story." In other words, it may just be that the reporters didn't do their jobs.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:13 PM

9,066 posts, read 5,595,920 times
Quote:
Many gentiles behave in a genteel manner.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 PM

9,066 posts, read 5,595,920 times
Quote:
But the fact remains: why would anyone be hiding or manipulating facts about the massacre at Sandy Hook? To what end?
Ummm .... that's not a fact, that's a question ... and the most logical answer would also be the most likely ... that there must be details about this event that certain people would prefer remain secrets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies