U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2013, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 44,851,192 times
Reputation: 20391

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They absolutely HATE it when others work hard and smart, sacrifice, and excel.
So, I hate myself? Okay. If you say so!

Again I will repeat, Democrats/liberals work just as hard, and on average, earn MORE than conservatives. Do I really have to keep saying this, or will the FACTS ever sink in to your brains?

I live in Silicon Valley, home to more millionaires and billionaires than any other region in the nation - also home to a few of the most costly towns in the nation, with median incomes over $200K and median home prices over $800K. And guess what? It's also a majority Democrat-voting area. How do you explain that? Are people buying multi-million dollar homes with welfare checks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2013, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 44,851,192 times
Reputation: 20391
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I don't make $5 million per year. Are you kidding? I guess you think that "the rich" (this is beer and potato chips rich) don't pay their taxes. I pay, with state, federal, property, medicare, and social security taxes that amount. A little quick math (we live in a HIGH state income tax state) can arrive at the appropriate number.

I really love it when the under achievers in life find it unbelievable that someone can make more money than they do. I guess I never set out to make a lot of money- it is just an artifact of hard work. Perhaps you should have worked harder or chosen a different path in life if money is so important to you.

This is the problem with liberals- greed and envy.
What do I have to be envious or greedy about? I have advanced degrees, a good professional job, and a significant trust fund & inheritance coming my way (hopefully a long time from now). I work hard, pay taxes, and get back what anyone else in my situation would. The stereotypes are really getting old, and from now on I'll ask everyone who makes these claims to show proof. Can you take that challenge, and show us PROOF that liberals are taking more than conservatives? If you manage that, I will give you a virtual cookie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Va. Beach
6,396 posts, read 4,387,196 times
Reputation: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Lol many conservatives are insane. I wrote none of the things he wrote.

Once again for conservatives their venom and anger is directed at out groups like poor single moms.

To conservatives nothing pisses them off more than the idea that American society has decided that single moms and their children shouldn't starve and be homeless.

Sure they claim they have no problem helping those in need, then the question is if that's true then what are they so angry and self righteous about?

Our system is doing the very thing they say they have no problem with, yet they are still pissed off and angry at single moms.

The anger and self righteous judgement that conservatives train on single moms or poor people getting meager benefits reveals who conservatives see as their enemy and who conservatives hate.

Thanks Darkatt for illustrating conservative anger and hatred directed at single moms once again.
And yet again, someone displays for us their complete lack of comprehension.

I said,
Quote:
If a mom, is a single mom, because she was married and had children, THEN needs help, Or was already working, and lost their job due to no fault of their own, Sure, let's help. Help them learn a trade, help them get a job, help them receive child support from the DNA verified father, help them with support for a short time, let's say up to 6 months.

If a mom is a single mom, because she CHOSE to be irresponsible, we should help identify the correct father for the child or children, and then between the parents, they provide their own living. I am amenable to providing medical/dental, and ensuring the children are fed with healthy, wholesome food.
Tell me where there is venom, or hatred, or anger in anything I said. In fact, dazzle us with your brilliance, and show us where at any point anything I said demonstrates any anger or hatred. Nowhere I have concluded anyone should starve or be homeless.

I would ask, even though I had already stated not having a problem helping, where it IS the job of government instead of charity to support those who need help.

BTW, I was a single dad. At one point, as a handicapped single dad, I became laid off, and was unable to obtain full time employment for 18 months. I did not get any welfare, section 8, medicare, medicaid, or any other forms of government supplement. I worked 2, 3, and 4 part times a week, and was able to keep roof over the heads of my children and I, food, electricity, water, and their doctor visits and and medicine.

At no time did I ever think I should ask the government to use the money it takes in taxes for the protection of our country and the running of government, and give some to me for things I am responsible for.

I really question how you can conclude what you did, in the manner that you did, the things you said. In fact, in looking at the 2 messages, yours is the one that is full of venom and hatred. My message was very matter of fact and in retrospect, somewhat clinical, though I did repeat the word wrong 2 times for emphasis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Va. Beach
6,396 posts, read 4,387,196 times
Reputation: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The only reason to invest money is for a return on that investment. Rarely are all investments winners. It's your net profit that's taxed, not the principal investment. There is no dbl taxation.

The IRS does not define food, clothing and primary shelter as investments.

Capital gains have been taxed for at least 100 years.
Of course it's double taxation. The profit on the investment, was taxed as profit by the comoany making the profit, before being paid out to the investors, who then pay taxes on it again as capital gains..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Palo Alto
12,172 posts, read 6,999,188 times
Reputation: 4174
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And that's the tax code, aka loopholes. Many years, Exxon Mobile has managed to not pay a dime in federal taxes. The tax code, as written, favors large corporations, ultra wealthy and the poor.
If they didn't pay a dime they didn't have taxable income...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 44,851,192 times
Reputation: 20391
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
What do I have to be envious or greedy about? I have advanced degrees, a good professional job, and a significant trust fund & inheritance coming my way (hopefully a long time from now). I work hard, pay taxes, and get back what anyone else in my situation would. The stereotypes are really getting old, and from now on I'll ask everyone who makes these claims to show proof. Can you take that challenge, and show us PROOF that liberals are taking more than conservatives? If you manage that, I will give you a virtual cookie!
Guess not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 PM
 
66,179 posts, read 30,022,521 times
Reputation: 8577
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So, I hate myself? Okay. If you say so!
You voted for Obama, no? That's a pretty strong statement of self-hatred.
Quote:
Again I will repeat, Democrats/liberals work just as hard, and on average, earn MORE than conservatives. Do I really have to keep saying this, or will the FACTS ever sink in to your brains?
Facts you say? These are the facts:
Quote:
...little has changed in terms of income’s general influence on individual voting patterns: in every presidential election since 1952, the richer a voter is, the more likely that voter is to vote Republican, regardless of ethnicity, sex, education or age.
Study debunks journalistic image of rich 'Latte' Democrats, poor 'NASCAR' Republicans | Newsroom | Washington University in St. Louis

And continues to this day:




Seems you're factually deficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 PM
 
66,179 posts, read 30,022,521 times
Reputation: 8577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Of course it's double taxation. The profit on the investment, was taxed as profit by the company making the profit, before being paid out to the investors, who then pay taxes on it again as capital gains..
Exactly. Why do so few know that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 29,349,758 times
Reputation: 7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I don't make $5 million per year. Are you kidding? I guess you think that "the rich" (this is beer and potato chips rich) don't pay their taxes. I pay, with state, federal, property, medicare, and social security taxes that amount. A little quick math (we live in a HIGH state income tax state) can arrive at the appropriate number.

I really love it when the under achievers in life find it unbelievable that someone can make more money than they do. I guess I never set out to make a lot of money- it is just an artifact of hard work. Perhaps you should have worked harder or chosen a different path in life if money is so important to you.

This is the problem with liberals- greed and envy.
How much do you make if you are getting taxed $500K? Sounds like you are getting fleeced and should move to a better state. I hear Washington state doesn't have a state income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 PM
 
66,179 posts, read 30,022,521 times
Reputation: 8577
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Can you take that challenge, and show us PROOF that liberals are taking more than conservatives?
It's self-evident from looking at the data:






Democrats are overwhelmingly low-income AND have the most tax dollars spent on them per dollar of tax they pay, if they even pay any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top