U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 PM

4,215 posts, read 2,931,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
According to the article I cited,

"Creationism is a symptom of religion...and recent sociological surveys show that religion is highly correlated with the dysfunctionality of a society, and various measures of societal health show that the United States is one of the most socially dysfunctional First World countries. Widespread acceptance of evolution in America, then, may have to await profound social change."

The far right wants to put more God into everything...maybe the answer would be less God.
The media likes agnostics, deists, and agnostic and cultural Christians. Nobody likes Christian fundamentalists or atheists. The middle grounders can get along, more or less, with everybody. People don't like to talk about religion for the same reason, to get along with people. This is wonderful for getting along with relatives and being pleasant, but sometimes I wonder if it creates a false impression that religious beliefs don't affect perspectives.

A friend of mine had a philosophy class where the first question students were asked was: What made the universe? The reason was, whatever they believed created the universe would influence their logic.

Mr. Fisher here thinks it shouldn't be talked about at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Who cares? This is a free country, people have the right to believe whatever they want.

What happened to live and let live????
And his view is probably quite popular.

I want to talk about the views the man or woman in charge of the biggest military on Earth, and lots o' nukes, has of what the purpose of life is.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:12 PM

20,326 posts, read 13,801,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Unbelievable! A majority of Republicans think the earth is no more than 8,000 years old????

Little Green Footballs - Gallup Poll: 58% of Republicans Are Young Earth Creationists

...and 41% of Democrats also believe in young earth creationism and that's downright embrarrassing! How can we ever agree on anything when facts are subject to feelings and provably false beliefs?
I don't claim to know a lot of Republicans, because i don't ask people which party they belong to. But I know a lot of people who are conservatives, and none of them believe in this 8,000 year old crap, actually, I don't know anyone who does.

So my opinion on polls like this one, is that they are full of ****.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:16 PM

15,724 posts, read 9,579,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I don't claim to know a lot of Republicans, because i don't ask people which party they belong to. But I know a lot of people who are conservatives, and none of them believe in this 8,000 year old crap, actually, I don't know anyone who does.

You can deny it all you want, but only Turkey beats us among industrial nations for lack of belief in evolution. It's the Bible Belt republicans that drag us down.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 5,325,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You can deny it all you want, but only Turkey beats us among industrial nations for lack of belief in evolution. It's the Bible Belt republicans that drag us down.
Haha, even Italy, the home country to the Vatican, has more believers of Evolution than the US. How freaking embarrassing is that?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 PM

725 posts, read 480,300 times
Holy chit, that is sad.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:38 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,603,053 times
Well if you think liberals love science so much you need to explain to them that a fetus is human and not a glob of tissue, most don't know or prefer to ignore that fact. And they are suppose to be the big science people?

Old 01-21-2013, 11:40 PM

1,597 posts, read 973,576 times
It's all relative.

6,000 years to a Fundi is a billion to an atheist.

Carbon 14 dating in a coal mine is unfair!

300-million-year-old UFO tooth-wheel found in Russian city of Vladivostok: Voice of Russia

Old 01-22-2013, 12:09 AM

30,809 posts, read 31,614,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well if you think liberals love science so much you need to explain to them that a fetus is human and not a glob of tissue, most don't know or prefer to ignore that fact. And they are suppose to be the big science people?
No argument? Is that why you go off topic?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 AM

6,715 posts, read 12,241,037 times
People forget that "young earth creationism" is not just a rejection of evolutionary biology - though that is its primary focal point. YEC requires that our complete understanding of geology, cosmology, physics, and many other facets of science are not just wrong but so dead wrong that none of the science should work - at all.

This means that things like carbon and radioactive dating are incorrect. DNA transcription is wrong. The Big Bang Theory is dead wrong. Elemental forces of nature which have been well understood for a long time, like electromagnetism, would have to be wrong. The courses they teach students at MIT, Harvard, Oxford, Tokyo University, and other prestigious institutions around the world are all teaching bunkum with no bearing on reality.

If one were to ever go to a YEC website, you'd find deflections and "papers" disregarding all of those scientific theories or blatantly objecting to them with non-scientific acumen. They are honestly some of the worst offenders of intellectual ignorance this country (and other places around the globe) could be exposed to. They are intellectual terrorists and no one should ever give any of them the time to die except to laugh at them and call them stupid or foolish.

Even the mere act of debating them is honestly something I've questioned myself doing. To do so gives them an element of credulity where there is none. Acknowledging them as worthy of debate is no different than negotiating with a terrorist.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:51 AM

3,574 posts, read 4,154,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

You obviously have never been to the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies