U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,297,737 times
Reputation: 27564

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Are you serious? In an equal opportunity society, a person who earns say, $25K should be free to buy half as much house as a person who earns $50K.

If you have been paying any attention to my posts (ahem), you would be aware of my complaint that in most places, government does not allow the sale of houses affordable to people earning $25K.

As for education, there are millions of people who are between 'poor enough to get enough financial aid to be able to afford college' and 'rich enough to be able to afford it on their own' who don't go because they can't afford it.
Government doesn't sell houses, people do.
And if you have bad credit then just who is to blame for that ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 AM
 
Location: under a rock
1,494 posts, read 1,447,114 times
Reputation: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Like I said..these are social issues. Focus on the crime and poverty rather than look at the schools.
The schools are only taking in the kids which are the products of society.

The schools are there; the opportunity is there.
The social ills of society are not being acknowledged or dealt with.

Healthcare is not an issue in these neighborhoods.
They have medicaid and doctors and even dentists that come to the schools to treat the kids.

It's the surrounding poverty and crime in the neighborhoods that need to be addressed and dealt with.
What kid will even think about school when they they are constantly being shuttled off to grandma, auntie, mom or dad during any given week ? School is not a priority for kids like this..who they will be living with next week is.
The crime, poverty, health issues are correlated with the schools. It's not let's start on one of these and then the others will be solved, too. No, they all need to be addressed at the same time. Why don't you understand this? That's why I say it's a bit more complex than you realize. Start placing these puzzle pieces together, and then see what the puzzle shows you. It may very well, blow your mind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM
 
33,046 posts, read 21,948,544 times
Reputation: 8962
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
And???????? It has ALWAYS been like that! It's what YOU put in, not what others do for you.

So you're saying that poor kids have to put in more than rich kids (because rich kids start out with more put in for them through taxes), and that's equal opportunity?

Not to mention that poor parents often have to pay in more school taxes than rich parents. Is that equal opportunity also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,297,737 times
Reputation: 27564
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
The crime, poverty, health issues are correlated with the schools. It's not let's start on one of these and then the others will be solved, too. No, they all need to be addressed at the same time. Why don't you understand this? That's why I say it's a bit more complex than you realize. Start placing these puzzle pieces together, and then see what the puzzle shows you. It may very well, blow your mind!
And what equality are you striving for here ?
Better pay will get rid of the gangs and drugs ? No, I don't think so.

How would liberals fix inner cities to "ensure equality" as another poster keeps saying is needed ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
 
16,553 posts, read 11,464,890 times
Reputation: 4230
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So you're saying that poor kids have to put in more than rich kids (because rich kids start out with more put in for them through taxes), and that's equal opportunity?

Not to mention that poor parents often have to pay in more school taxes than rich parents. Is that equal opportunity also?
You have no clue what you are talking about. How does a poor person pay more in property taxes than a rich person? It's impossible. You do know that school taxes are taken out of your property taxes right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM
 
33,046 posts, read 21,948,544 times
Reputation: 8962
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Government doesn't sell houses, people do.
And if you have bad credit then just who is to blame for that ?

Not a matter of credit.

Government doesn't sell houses, but it sure the heck does determine what people are allowed to sell.

My complaint is that government does not allow the sale of houses affordable to burger flippers. Shouldn't that be up to people, not to government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM
 
16,553 posts, read 11,464,890 times
Reputation: 4230
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Not a matter of credit.

Government doesn't sell houses, but it sure the heck does determine what people are allowed to sell.

My complaint is that government does not allow the sale of houses affordable to burger flippers. Shouldn't that be up to people, not to government?
What do you mean the government doesn't allow that? I don't think they have a say. If a builder wants to build those houses and sell them, I'm pretty sure they are free to do so. I'm also pretty sure it's up to the local community also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Bethesda, MD
810 posts, read 811,933 times
Reputation: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
The goal is obviously equality of outcome but they will of course not admit it. It sounds too much like communism to come out and say it. Virtually all of Obama's campaign was based on it - vilifying Romney because he is rich, and saying the top 1% need to pay more. It's also based on equality of groups rather than equality of individuals. It doesn't matter if one white guy gets turned away from a school or passed over for promotion at a job that a less qualified brown guy gets selected for, because other white guys are already in the school or corporation and that boosts equality of opportunity for brown people. We need to really focus on "representation" of various groups in society according to liberals.

Affirmative action was great in 1970. It serves no useful purpose in 2013. No nation that has a minority President needs affirmative action programs. If you can be black and become elected to the single highest position in the country by a majority of the people, then it's simply absurd to assert we have a systemic problem of discrimination against blacks. We definitely do need discrimination laws so that when discrimination occurs the victims have legal recourse. But a nation with a majority elected chief executive does not have a systemic problem. And systemic problems are what affirmative action programs are there to prevent, not individual cases of discrimination.
The last time I checked, Obama is biracial not black. Since when can a white and a black person create a black baby?

Obama = Biracial/mixed race (mother is white American, father African)
Hermain Cane = Black (Both parents are black)
Jessie Jackson = Black (Both parents are black)
Tiger Woods = Biracial/mixed race (mother is Asian, father is a self identified Black/Native American/white American)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM
 
Location: San Diego
993 posts, read 798,929 times
Reputation: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm not understanding this fixation Obama and liberals have with equality. Folks have varying degrees of skills that are demanded in the market place. Is the goal here to have some unskilled worker live in the same manner as somebody who went to school to develop skills in demand like becoming a doctor?

To me equality means equality under the law and a fair chance to improve your life through the choices and efforts you make. What's the end game in regards to equality for you liberals?
Why do you people continue to suggest that Obama or Liberals want Communism? When has ANYONE said that janitors should make the same amount of money as doctors? Show me a single person who isn't an avowed Communist who has actually said something even remotely close to that.

The issue people have is with the GROWING gap between rich and poor. The problem people have is that in 1981 the difference between a CEO and his average employee's earnings was about 30 to 1...today it's over 300 to 1. That's the problem. The CEO is taking the wages of 300 workers now when he used to take the wages of 30. That's 270 jobs stolen per CEO for their own greed.

I'm not an advocate for redistribution or any of that nonsense. I just think our tax laws need to be looked at...the capital gains tax needs to be made equal to the income tax and that alone will help our country immensely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,297,737 times
Reputation: 27564
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Why do you people continue to suggest that Obama or Liberals want Communism? When has ANYONE said that janitors should make the same amount of money as doctors? Show me a single person who isn't an avowed Communist who has actually said something even remotely close to that.

The issue people have is with the GROWING gap between rich and poor. The problem people have is that in 1981 the difference between a CEO and his average employee's earnings was about 30 to 1...today it's over 300 to 1. That's the problem. The CEO is taking the wages of 300 workers now when he used to take the wages of 30. That's 270 jobs stolen per CEO for their own greed.

I'm not an advocate for redistribution or any of that nonsense. I just think our tax laws need to be looked at...the capital gains tax needs to be made equal to the income tax and that alone will help our country immensely.
So this "equality" is financial ? What do you propose that the government do to fix it ?
Now how is the rich sending more money to DC going to fix this ? Are you just advocating that the rich send in more money to finance social programs for the poor ? Is that your solution to the inequality ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top