U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 PM

66,498 posts, read 33,783,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
NYC has one of the best water supplies in the country that is heavily protected now as well as an excellent sewer system. Plus why would we need to go all the way to Texas for food, we have harbors.

What are you going to use to get the food you need from the harbor. You think someone is going to take your 20 dollar bill? LOL. You people that cannot see past your noses, really crack me up.

Food and water will be currency. It will be priority one, within the cities and masses struggling to get every crumb, like rats.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 PM

10,005 posts, read 9,018,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
All of which is dependent on an infrastructure to support them.

Truthfully why concern myself, you have people in these areas looking for water 12 hours after a disaster...
Yes, and then someone will inevitably step into restore order and then you have to concern yourself, especially if that someone is part of the military. In any break down there will be chaos for a bit, then people will get organized for survival they are not just going to peaceably starve.

Quite frankly all you need to do is look at history whether it is the Chinese civil war, the decline of the Western Roman Empire, 1948 Israel, the Libyan civil war etc. Cities tend to suffer the least. It is the towns and countryside that is hurting.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:29 PM

9,856 posts, read 13,424,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Most of you city dwellers will die........ it's what you want for being a city dweller. One thing bad enough goes wrong and inside of 30 days you will be dead....

If you want to eat start prepping.... prep really well, as it could be a real long time...

Don't think us hicks you hate, are going to care and feed you..

I am not worried...... I can start naked and find food all day long... In a week or two i would be dressed..

The first day out starting naked with No Tools i would have fire, and shortly after most anything else i needed.

If you get that good, you won't worry either..... it's your choice.

Just don't count on rural folks be sensitive to your city needs.. We aren't.
Don't worry. We are all to busy actually enjoying our lives instead of preparing for insane end of the world scenarios.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:29 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,230,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I'm guessing you had no experience with Hurricane Sandy... let alone the 70's gas crisis!!
I would never set about wasting time like the people in the pics... I do recall the gas crunch Tricky Dick pulled too. I was somewhere in Fla with a wrong last number on my out of state tags...

I had a the right number just inside my van.. Great Dane and he was a little ugly.... i told that gas station attendant that if i didn't get a full tank of gas I was letting the dog out.... I told him he wouldn't make it to the dial phone we had in those days too.

But these days living rural as soon as SHTF I would be all about food gathering every day all day, from the woods. NH has tons of food free for the taking all year long.... You just need to be smart about it.

Don't need gas, freezers and that sort of thing to get by...... This place would last about 3 weeks running things the way we do if no more gas could be had and by gas I mean propane..... of course i would cut off that use ASAP and only make power when it was really needed, and not for lights and a refer...

I never did understand why people don't stock a food supply to last a month in these times, but they don't.

I think every person not family should have 50 pounds of rice, salt, pepper, and sugar as starters and 2 gallons of drinking water per day...

But No that won't do when the feds should have that and be able to come help Oh well....

Old 01-22-2013, 03:30 PM

10,005 posts, read 9,018,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What are you going to use to get the food you need from the harbor. You think someone is going to take your 20 dollar bill? LOL. You people that cannot see past your noses, really crack me up.

Food and water will be currency. It will be priority one.
After a nuclear war maybe, but then it is a moot point since there will be no cities left. Almost never is there going to be a complete breakdown of society without some other structure taking over. It is almost always a gradual process where one system phases out and another phases in.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:31 PM

39,472 posts, read 40,779,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
The military seizes control...

People riot...

Who knows what's next.
The first thing that happens is the water supply in all those buildings is toast except for the lower floors where the street pressure is enough. No heat in the building and freezing temperatures will also bust all the pipes. Food is going to disappear quickly as in days.

So now you're going to have millions of thirsty, cold and hungry people that just a few days ago were watching the latest episode of their favorite TV show.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 PM

9,665 posts, read 8,658,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I grew up in the country and now I live in the city. Frankly, the holier than though, stuck up attitudes of country folk have been far worse than any 'city folk' attitude I get here.

However...I have met a LOT of people here that are like me... we can navigate and deal with cities as well as easily survive in the country. It's sleeper cells like me you'd have to look out for.

Country folks overinflated sense of self importance will ultimately be their downfall.
Country folk are still important, if only for their fertile lands and their knowledge of growing crops and survival.

I come from backwoods Russia, and I can't figure out why they think they will be facing untrained cops, when it will in fact be the military and their arsenal.

I can't figure out why can't we cooperate, because it's sure as hell better than being under a dictator.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,895,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
All of which is dependent on an infrastructure to support them.
I have seen countrysides in some third world countries, completely devoid of infrastructure and any kind of dependence on urban population. I haven't seen that here. May have been true when Indians ruled this land, though.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:40 PM

66,498 posts, read 33,783,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
That kid is a riot huh? My wife can stop 500 cops with just shooting the highest ranking officer thru the head... One shot, one kill and where in K ryst's name did that shot come from......

My uncles `ol Betsy is a 50 cal. BR and around 6000 rounds.

You have to really lean into it, if you want to run through a belt.
Remember, it is not illegal until you get caught.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:45 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,230,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Don't worry. We are all to busy actually enjoying our lives instead of preparing for insane end of the world scenarios.
That's nice...... I took this morning off from work because it was in the teens and sunny, to x-c ski 6 miles. It was short 3 miles out, 3 miles back, and then i went to work till 3.....

Did you beat that for fun today?

I don't have a lot of preps stored away because i don't need them. I have a education that will allow me to pass on that concerning foods in NH. I have some gallons of maple syrup I made put up that are not for trade currently. I have veggies i grew that will last well past next harvest and could last into a next year.

In fact the strawberries i had in yogurt last night are from 2 seasons back...

I will probably need to plow snow in the morning and after that if nothing else happens i will go skiing again.

I am waiting for a scope to come into my local gun shop for a 50 year old 22 rifle i just got in December. it is shaping up to be a real little tack driver too. I might bring that x-c skiing to hunt small game soon.

It's good you will be fit and able to deal with any SHTF situations, so at least i will know it won't be you begging on my door steps.

With all the hate from the city liberals i am re-thinking my previous plan to feed people a meal and send them packin'. Instead it might be better when they come a-begging to just take what ever they have left.

I can't understand that 'Entitled' thing....... Steal from me in SHTF and you will be entitled to a bullet, and it will only take one.

I have been in plenty enough storms to know what happens to Law and order ... Until all these city liberal threats on CD I was always wiling to spend my own dimes and plow for the Fire Dept and never send in the papers to get paid back and i took to feeding work crews when there was no power, as i maintain and cook on a wood stove too.

I cared for the elderly and made sure their generators were installed and in such away they were not sending current down line.. maybe i shouldn't do that anymore huh?

I got 5 letters from work crew companies from the last major ice storm.... What did you get?

Not only that but after about 2 weeks the local fire Dept came to look in on me. I was walking out to my truck since the road was blocked by a bolder too big for me to move, and there was no point to move it for the whole road was filled with trees anyway.

They asked me if i was alright, and of course we were i was pulling a kids sled with gallons of fresh hot coffee and a large wooden box of still hot donuts. I used that sled to haul fire wood from the piles to the door..

I hope the temps on thje morning are in single digits here... That just insures No Bugs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies