U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 PM

9,665 posts, read 8,666,839 times

Advertisements

Remember, people will work for you if it means their survival.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 PM

14,383 posts, read 7,724,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
It doesn't have to be that way. You can share the land and teach people to use one of your many guns. That way, when the gangs come, you fight together, and win.
I specifically live in an area of like minded people who already plan to work together in the case of any kind of "invasion" whether it's angry mobs of liberal morons or just plain old hurricane evacuees.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,554,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Why would someone torch something they're trying to steal?

You seem to be obsessed with people burning or torching homes, unstable much?
You should study up on the history of Goths and Marauders and see what they loved to do. Besides, the best way to solve a problem is to burn someone out.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Why would someone torch something they're trying to steal?

You seem to be obsessed with people burning or torching homes, unstable much?
Scorched earth policy.

Used by villains throughout history.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You should study up on the history of Goths and Marauders and see what they loved to do. Besides, the best way to solve a problem is to burn someone out.
I don't need to study, I already know what you're talking about but I hardly think the people I have to worry about have a clue. You have to get relatively close to a home to burn it down or burn someone out unless you can throw a torch or Molotov cocktail 10 acres with good aim.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Scorched earth policy.

Used by villains throughout history.
Yeah I understand and as I've said 3 times now, I may not win the fight but I'm not going to just step aside and let it happen. By the time someone gets close enough to burn my home down I'm going to be tripping on thigh deep brass inside.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 PM

21,509 posts, read 14,408,525 times
The notion that farmers are independent and self-reliant is nonsense. Farmers have always been collectivists, and farmers were the very first to create quasi-unions; the grange movement was the first organization that was both collective and united labor so as to act as a solid group in collective bargaining.

While the grange has largely disappeared as small farms have disappeared, local farm co-operatives remain as modern versions of the granges, and farmers are once again unionizing in their own particular form. Medium and large independent farms are joining forces once more to oppose the huge corporate farms that have overtaken most of our agriculture.

Farmers are only separated by greater distances than urban society, but those distances are so long as to be isolating. Modern farmers are just as much in touch as city folks; they too, know how to use the internet, and by and large, are more educated now than a lot of city folks. They are also just as dependent on government programs- the programs differ, but the dependency is identical in all it's many degrees.

While farmers may be conservative, trying to claim there are more conservatives among them than liberals is also nonsense. They are the first group who adopted the green philosophies, and are more single minded in their voting- they want representatives who will vote and work for them in ways less diverse than city folks, and whoever delivers for them is more important that the party. Conservative and liberal farmers alike will turn out for the guy who works on their behalf. The largest group of new small farmers are mostly city folks who have abandoned urban life. They have brought their liberal beliefs with them to the country, and many are practicing radically new techniques that an old farmer of 50 years ago would not understand. Both their farm products and their marketing methods are radically different from the past.

And modern farms are no more prepared to quickly return to 19th century living than the rest of us. Those days ended for good in the 1930's, and are long gone.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I specifically live in an area of like minded people who already plan to work together in the case of any kind of "invasion" whether it's angry mobs of liberal morons or just plain old hurricane evacuees.
Why do you treat hurricane evacuees or liberals as morons?
Why do you see them as the enemy?

Old 01-22-2013, 04:16 PM

19,213 posts, read 12,250,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The notion that farmers are independent and self-reliant is nonsense. Farmers have always been collectivists, and farmers were the very first to create quasi-unions; the grange movement was the first organization that was both collective and united labor so as to act as a solid group in collective bargaining.

While the grange has largely disappeared as small farms have disappeared, local farm co-operatives remain as modern versions of the granges, and farmers are once again unionizing in their own particular form. Medium and large independent farms are joining forces once more to oppose the huge corporate farms that have overtaken most of our agriculture.

Farmers are only separated by greater distances than urban society, but those distances are so long as to be isolating. Modern farmers are just as much in touch as city folks; they too, know how to use the internet, and by and large, are more educated now than a lot of city folks. They are also just as dependent on government programs- the programs differ, but the dependency is identical in all it's many degrees.

While farmers may be conservative, trying to claim there are more conservatives among them than liberals is nonsense. They are the first group who adopted the green philosophies, and are more single minded in their voting- they want representatives who will vote and work for them in ways less diverse than city folks, and whoever delivers for them is more important that the party. Conservative and liberal farmers alike will turn out for the guy who works on their behalf

And modern farms are no more prepared to quickly return to 19th century living than the rest of us. Those days ended for good in the 1930's, and are long gone.

You are completely wrong. My farm has an in indoor and outdoor pump well (back up for regional water). I have two wood burning furnaces (and 250 acres of trees) and one coal burning furnace. We have three years of food and supplies. We have seeds. We know how to hunt. We have two large ponds stocked with fish. My barn/house there is made of stone with outside wooden security shutters and indoor steel shutters. There is a 120 ft escape tunnel.

We could be completely fine without outside power, water, or food for many years. Most of the farmers around my farm have the same "back up" systems.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Why do you treat hurricane evacuees or liberals as morons?
Why do you see them as the enemy?
Because they've proven to me in the past that they're my enemy. I learn from my experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies