U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,519,126 times
Reputation: 7830

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's a lot more to economic collapse than food.

Water ?
Sewer ?

Gang control ?

Grid goes down ?

There will be more than enough problems within the city itself that sending the police to collect "food tax" won't even be on the list.
NYC has one of the best water supplies in the country that is heavily protected now as well as an excellent sewer system. Plus why would we need to go all the way to Texas for food, we have harbors.

 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 AM
 
Location: NC
10,005 posts, read 9,018,694 times
Reputation: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's a lot more to economic collapse than food.

Water ?
Sewer ?
There are tens of thousands of people dedicated to keeping these on line in the city. They would still be there furthermore NY controls its own water supply in the mountains.

Gang control ? Conscript the gangs and send them out of the city where they can pillage without causing too many problems, you can use them as extra muscle against the rural people.

Grid goes down ? This might be the one legit problem as they would have to find a supply of coal, but given a few years they could probably do it.

There will be more than enough problems within the city itself that sending the police to collect "food tax" won't even be on the list.
I mean just look at historical examples. It is not a pleasant thing to have a collapse, but cities always fair better.
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 13,424,065 times
Reputation: 5453
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
We're nothing like Greece, greece doesn't even have its own currency.
Are you really suggesting that we don't have to use Greece as a warning sign because we have the ability to inflate away debt whereas they do not?

Really?

Personally? I will happily trade the risk I take by living in a city for the benefits it offers. Yes, if there is an end of the world type of event hermits living in the middle of nowhere will be better off, but in the meantime I enjoy having things to do that are more exciting than milking cows and looking at trees.
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Live - VT, Work - MA
819 posts, read 1,269,842 times
Reputation: 606
Seriously?
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 AM
 
1,310 posts, read 942,901 times
Reputation: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
No, it will be a completely different ball game in the US. For one thing there are millions of weapons in the hands of rural folks and it is not going to be as easy as you might imagine to come and steal stuff from the people of the flyover zone. It would be a joke for the police to try and take stuff from a farm, what a laugh!
Reading some of these responses are making me laugh out loud.

I imagine most of these people do not have friends or family in rural areas. Rural areas still have "communities". Rural people don't sit at desks for 8 hours a day, they get up at 5 and work the land until the sun goes down. Rural people hunt, city people seem to hunt other people. Rural people know how to skin animals to make hats, blankets, etc. Guns are selling out everywhere, and a vast majority of buyers are rural residents.

Liberal, government dependent city folk will end up just like many Hurricane Sandy victims, waiting for their beloved state to save them. Rural folks will band together to protect their communities, feed their families, and keep looters out. Rural areas aren't multicultural and segregated, people know each other and depend on each other. Rural people also own land, not a small plot of land, for the most part.

As the song goes, "a country boy can survive."
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Grove City, Ohio
10,133 posts, read 12,383,606 times
Reputation: 13961
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
The article does make some valid points, but cities have JOBS!!!
And Detroit immediately springs to mind!
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,498,448 times
Reputation: 27565
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
NYC has one of the best water supplies in the country that is heavily protected now as well as an excellent sewer system. Plus why would we need to go all the way to Texas for food, we have harbors.
But if the grid goes down how to you get it ?
You can't get your water or flush your toilet.

You're not thinking about the entire picture here.
Only parts of society fails here ?

Which part that you are only concerned with food ?

Ok, you have harbors ? Oh..going to import all your food from China ? How will that arrive fresh ?
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM
 
6,334 posts, read 4,428,422 times
Reputation: 1640
So in the event of a zombie attack, country folks have an upper hand.

Good to know
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 AM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,588,471 times
Reputation: 5919
The title is way too long... he just could have gone with ''The South Will Rise Again!''

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
No, it will be a completely different ball game in the US. For one thing there are millions of weapons in the hands of rural folks and it is not going to be as easy as you might imagine to come and steal stuff from the people of the flyover zone. It would be a joke for the police to try and take stuff from a farm, what a laugh!
Yeah, like they really care about your moldy old doublewide, pickem-up on blocks and 3 flea-bitten mutts!
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,498,448 times
Reputation: 27565
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Reading some of these responses are making me laugh out loud.

I imagine most of these people do not have friends or family in rural areas. Rural areas still have "communities". Rural people don't sit at desks for 8 hours a day, they get up at 5 and work the land until the sun goes down. Rural people hunt, city people seem to hunt other people. Rural people know how to skin animals to make hats, blankets, etc. Guns are selling out everywhere, and a vast majority of buyers are rural residents.

Liberal, government dependent city folk will end up just like many Hurricane Sandy victims, waiting for their beloved state to save them. Rural folks will band together to protect their communities, feed their families, and keep looters out. Rural areas aren't multicultural and segregated, people know each other and depend on each other. Rural people also own land, not a small plot of land, for the most part.

As the song goes, "a country boy can survive."
Not everyday

Today I'm clearing fence line again. About to go out and will stay out til the school bus passes (4:30).
And I'm close..so close. 3 sides cleared and I'm more than 1/2 finished the fourth side.
(previous owners let the growth get out of hand and take over the fence line with wild grapes and cactus).

And I totally agree with your statement about multiculturalism and segregation. It's non existent out here and I like it that way. It's non existent because it doesn't matter; your neighbor is your neighbor no matter .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top