U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM

9,665 posts, read 8,673,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
No they won't.....They will be met with resistance.
If for some reason there is an economic collapse, I think it's best to cooperate with each other. Last thing we need is for some dictator to take advantage of angry people and take over.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
One big problem for rural areas in a time of social crisis would be the influx of outsiders into the countryside. For example, let's say that food prices spike, and so, people from around the region start poaching deer/elk/birds/whatever else is available.

Game wardens are not going to have even a marginal chance of enforcing the regulations anymore, which means that everything from dynamite fishing/river gillnetting to floodlight night-poaching will become common. Inexperienced hunters will flood into the forest and cause a lot of fatal and nonfatal accidents. Before long, the countryside that you thought you'd be able to rely upon for food will get picked clean of large mammals and fish of any sort.

Think of it this way - there are cases of rebel armies in places like what is now South Sudan setting up camp near crocodile-thronged rivers, and after a while, those crocs got eaten. There were no more hippo or rhino attacks on local villagers, either, for similar reasons. When armed people are hungry, don't expect the animals to prevail.
People don't have to eat meat that much for survival. What will be more sensible is for the stranded to work the land to grow their share of food.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM

39,536 posts, read 40,876,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Not really just look at the Chinese civil war. The coastal cities with their entrenched foreign interests, and being power bases for warlords and governments did quite well, the rural areas were the places that were constantly raided for food, turned into battlefields, and generally starving. The same thing will happen in any US collapse.

LOL... yea I can see some inner city punk now as his explodes all over his buddies after I shot him from 600 yards away. Those city folk won;t be coming into areas that are populated by unarmed peasants, they'll be coming into areas with people armed to teeth many square miles that they know like the back of their hand.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:27 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,312,422 times
The other threat is arson. Historically, there are many cases of groups simply setting areas where enemies might be hiding on fire, in order to make life more difficult for them.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
LOL... yea I can see some inner city punk now as his explodes all over his buddies after I shot him from 600 yards away. Those city folk won;t be coming into areas that are populated by unarmed peasants, they'll be coming into areas with people armed to teeth many square miles that they know like the back of their hand.
What's your solution to feed millions?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:29 PM

8,651 posts, read 8,547,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
The Donner Party comes to mind......

Quote:
If for some reason there is an economic collapse, I think it's best to cooperate with each other.
That's not going to happen because the people with resources aren't going to be worrying about your sorry ass, they are going to be worrying about their own.

6,953 posts, read 4,431,009 times
Quote:
As a liberal that prefers rural or semi-rural life, one thing I support is the use of solar power, if only to power the refrigerator. Sunshine is plentiful in the summer months and solar panels would be a serious investment for these situations.

As is a rainwater collection system.
You are right there could be a good bit of money to be spent for solar and rain water systems and plus the know how that it would take. I could not go this route myself and I do most of my preparing on the cheap. There is no one way to prepare which of course you would agree it all depends on surroundings and how much money you can spend. I picked the best plan that I could carry out and wish you the best on figuring what is going to work for you, even though you are a liberal. J/K

Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
That's not my concern, I'm going to worry about feeding myself and my family members.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM

4,912 posts, read 2,889,712 times
The article employs a common con tactic. Start with false assumptions, in this case that rural people are good folk and city people are bad folk, and then expand on them as if they're true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies