Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 04:02 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Yes, of course, those guns will beat stealth and UASs anytime. Ahem.
Now you like weapons? Geez, why don't you contradict yourself a little?

You want no "assault" rifles for law abiding citizens, but have wet dreams over the govt. having a stealth?

Sorry, but I trust my fellow law abiding Americans far more than the big brother with weapons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
Damn except for the guns we're pretty much alike
I know, we are. Isn't that something?

I'm glad you're pro-union, supertrucker. Unions are the only reason we aren't working for $1/day. People have forgotten that.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
As I get older, I am realizing this more and more. I don't remember the moderation that I remembered growing up.

All I see these days is extreme polarization in viewpoints and political beliefs. It is not generally as apparent in person, but it is much more apparent in forums.

It seems the days of convincing someone of something or being convinced by anyone of something are gone.

Thanks
People are shameless now. They covet other people's property to the point they will vote for someone who promises to use the power of the office to steal on their behalf.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
People are shameless now. They covet other people's property to the point they will vote for someone who promises to use the power of the office to steal on their behalf.
"Covet?" What, did you arrive through some time machine or something? I haven't heard covet since I was last at a church. lol Okay now, you made me laugh.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky
As I get older, I am realizing this more and more. I don't remember the moderation that I remembered growing up.

All I see these days is extreme polarization in viewpoints and political beliefs. It is not generally as apparent in person, but it is much more apparent in forums.

It seems the days of convincing someone of something or being convinced by anyone of something are gone.

Thanks
Reminds me of this:
Introducing This Blog - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Middle class America: That’s the country I grew up in. It was a society without extremes of wealth or poverty, a society of broadly shared prosperity, partly because strong unions, a high minimum wage, and a progressive tax system helped limit inequality. It was also a society in which political bipartisanship meant something: in spite of all the turmoil of Vietnam and the civil rights movement, in spite of the sinister machinations of Nixon and his henchmen, it was an era in which Democrats and Republicans agreed on basic values and could cooperate across party lines.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I think the reason why is the way the population of this country has been so dumbed down by the schools and the media.

The media absolutely will not critique any of the liberals' policies, not even their desire to pile on even more trillions in national debt. The media has turned the presidency into a Hollywood-type celebrity deal, all that matters to most Americans is how cute Michelle thinks her bangs are and the expensive designer clothes that the royal family wears.

The media isn't going to make Americans aware of Benghazi, Fast and Furious or the economy because it's only about making Obama into the most popular celebrity popstar.

And the people are stupid enought to fall for it, too many now see a US president as a Justin Bieber or Kardashian kind of popstar.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I like this article - a lot. Thank you.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think the reason why is the way the population of this country has been so dumbed down by the schools and the media.

The media absolutely will not critique any of the liberals' policies, not even their desire to pile on even more trillions in national debt. The media has turned the presidency into a Hollywood-type celebrity deal, all that matters to most Americans is how cute Michelle thinks her bangs are and the expensive designer clothes that the royal family wears.

The media isn't going to make Americans aware of Benghazi, Fast and Furious or the economy because it's only about making Obama into the most popular celebrity popstar.

And the people are stupid enought to fall for it, too many now see a US president as a Justin Bieber or Kardashian kind of popstar.
The post is gospel! Some issues I'm conservative, some I'm liberal. I don't vote because both sides are for the wealthy elite. As the late George Carlin said "it's a big club and you and I ain't in it." The media makes a circus out of everything. They take a tragedy such as Newtown or Aurora and by the end of the day the person who committed the act is a celebrity. They have done it with this president more than any other. They have turned him into a rock star. We need a leader not a rock star. I believe the media has done it because of his skin color. The media loves to play the race card. The media made a big deal out of RG3 being a black republican with a white girlfriend. Last time I checked his job was to be QB of the Redskins. Nor do I care about what the first family wears. I hate the celebrity worship that goes on in this country. It's discusting when you think about it. I'll care about them when they care about me

Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

To begin with, what's dumbed down about schools? Textbooks when I went to school were nothing compared with what they are now - there's a slew of information to be learned now that we didn't have to when I went to school. What's more, teachers when we went to school were no better than they are now. I had good teachers, and I had teachers that were horrible.

What there is now in schooling that we didn't have back then, is:

-parents demanding special tutoring for their kids,
-parents demanding that their kids not have to do so much homework,
-parents demanding that their kids receive good grades despite not having cracked a book or bothered to study,
-parents demanding that teachers somehow wave magic wands over their kids and impart upon them magical powers of learning without having to make any effort,
-parents demanding that tests be "give over again" to give the kids a chance to get a better grade,
-parents demanding that schools mete out zero punishments for misbehavior,
-parents demanding that schools not leave their kids behind in the same grade (the children might be affected), and
-parents demanding that teachers and schools make special exceptions for their kids, and give their kids special treatment, or change their grades to better one so their kids are not "hurt" in the long run with bad grades.

THAT is what has changed about schools and teachers, and it's not a change in schools or teachers. It's a change in the way the parents have decided their kids should be coddled and not required to do anything.

As for the national debt - you conveniently ignore the fact that defense (the favorite child of right wingnuts and neo-cons) is the biggest leaky faucet we have today. The monstrous amounts being paid out to the military-industrial complex of corporations, are a hemorrhage in our country. The second thing you're conveniently ignoring, is that if you have no revenue coming in, but continue to pay out funds, you'll soon end up with nothing, and that's what right wingnuts and neo-cons have done by giving the mega-rich a free pass since 1981, allowing the mega-rich to have a lower tax rate, and bigger tax breaks to the tune of 1 trillion dollars. Now I don't know about you, but I don't have a magical bank account. If I pay out of my bank account, I HAVE TO put money in. You apparently think money grows on trees, don't you? So tell me, how the h*ll do you figure putting less money into the coffers, but spending it out on defense like there's no tomorrow has NOT been the cause of the national debt, huh????? Care to explain that sleight of hand you right wingers and neo-cons have come up with? And what the h*ll have all those doings by the right wing and neo-cons to do with liberals? Hmmm???

I marvel at the way right wingnuts and neo-cons blame their mistakes, their foibles, and the results of their failed ideology on liberals. Nice trick!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
It's honestly the media that's polarizing us, and the nation being slaves to the almighty television is falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

As long as we have this idiotic democrat vs republican mindset, our nation will never honestly recover.
Right. As long as people believe that the answer lies with EITHER the Democrats OR the Republicans, we are doomed. If the past ten years have taught us ANYTHING, it ought to be that both "sides" are corrupt and self serving.

Democracy doesn't work. All a political party has to do to get the results it wants from "democracy" is rob Peter to pay Paul, and then make sure there are more Pauls than there are Peters.

Then they can always count on Paul's vote.

I blame the people as well as the politicians, however. When we cast a vote based on "what's in it for us" rather than on sound moral, and economic, principles, then we get exactly the government we deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies