Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:36 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,668,579 times

Advertisements

As I get older, I am realizing this more and more. I don't remember the moderation that I remembered growing up.

All I see these days is extreme polarization in viewpoints and political beliefs. It is not generally as apparent in person, but it is much more apparent in forums.

It seems the days of convincing someone of something or being convinced by anyone of something are gone.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
As I get older, I am realizing this more and more. I don't remember the moderation that I remembered growing up.

All I see these days is extreme polarization in viewpoints and political beliefs. It is not generally as apparent in person, but it is much more apparent in forums.

It seems the days of convincing someone of something or being convinced by anyone of something are gone.

Thanks

Mooches!

We have two groups dressed up as liberals and conservatives, but what they really are are tax payers and mooches.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 PM

724 posts, read 593,306 times
I don't even consider myself that old, but I can empathize with what you are saying. It seems people, not so long ago, were able to compromise. What happened?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafo1981 View Post
I don't even consider myself that old, but I can empathize with what you are saying. It seems people, not so long ago, were able to compromise. What happened?
We're entering a zone of absolutes especially with regard to fiscal constraint.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:51 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,614 times
Part of it is the digital info age. 20+ years ago, in order to have a deep political conversation, you had to be well read and retain quite a lot of information. This led to a high level of respect even for those you didn't agree with. Nowadays any idiot can do a 15 second Google search on their smart phone for a near instantaneous rebuttal. As more people join the discussion parroting more radical opinions they read about 5 mins ago on facebook, the level of respect amongst the different sides plummets.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post

Thanks
Are you white? Whites had ALL the power pre 1970's. Of course they were moderate with each other. But now that the stakes are higher, now that the entitlement of being white is being threatened, that's when the claws come out. The South NEVER gave up being racist. Just like the GOP base will never accept minorities as equals. That's what this boils down to.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafo1981 View Post

We compromised our way into a 16 trillion dollar debt.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Are you white? Whites had ALL the power pre 1970's. Of course they were moderate with each other. But now that the stakes are higher, now that the entitlement of being white is being threatened, that's when the claws come out. The South NEVER gave up being racist. Just like the GOP base will never accept minorities as equals.

Specifically what has changed since the 1970s?

Please provide some specific real world examples of the GOP base's racism.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:03 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Specifically what has changed since the 1970s?

Please provide some specific real world examples of the GOP base's racism.
Trying to make it harder for blacks to vote by tightening voter ID requirements, reducing polling times and polling places as they did in Florida. Lying that it was about virtually non-existent voter fraud.

Surveys that show they are more resentful of minorities.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dru...-and-tea-party

Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Trying to make it harder for blacks to vote by tightening voter ID requirements, reducing polling times and polling places as they did in Florida. Lying that it was about virtually non-existent voter fraud.

awesome news-it backfired as Jim Crow type moves should.

2nd awesome news-The America where whites wielded 9 in 10 votes circa the early 70s are gone. E Pluribus unum. Time to adapt to under 70% of voters being white in 2016, under 65% 2020, or go the way of the Whigs.

Ozzie & Harriet are dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies