Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 01:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
It always pains me to see how deeply divided such a great country as America is. Why can't you guys be working together instead of spending so much time and energy on slagging of the representatives, members and supporters of the "other party". I really don't get it. Who enjoys watching ad reading news media that is clearly biased (althouh in my opinion there is no major outlet which leans as far left as FOX news leans to the right)?

I know many Americans, conservatives and liberals, and most are fine people. Why can't you guys realize that it would be so much better to try and get along and work TOGETHER instead of against each other? Sure, argue passionatelly about the things you feel strongly about but don't lose sigh of the common goals.

I think a pragmatic, science based approach based on ethical values rather than one guided by traditional religious values for example would help. I think politics and religion don't mix. But that's me as an atheist and European speaking.

From some of the rhetoric here it seems there is lots of "hatred" mostly from the right towards the left and an equal amount of "disconnect" from the other side.

Guys, you live in a great country (no, I am not going to say "the gretaest country in the world") so stop the fighting ans start working together.
First of all, we do live in the greatest country in the world. Second, if you really think FOX is more right than networks like MSNBC lean left you haven't watched either of them very closely. This has been discussed here time and time again, but why don't you tell us what contributors to MSNBC are right wing? I can name 10 left wing contributors to FOX...

Now as for hatred, there is plenty to go around and with few exceptions, most people who live in our country,who post here, etc are fair and are not extreme. We also have different views, some are athiests, some agnostics and some believe in God, these views cross over party lines.

Maybe you are seeing things from a different angle than we, as Americans see things. I know I couldn't begin to even voice an opinion on German politics, not living in the country..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Not true. That is a Democrat lie, a moronic attempt to revise history, as expected. This is a list of bigoted Democrats that never joined the Republican Party:
  • Orval Fabus
  • Benjamin Travis Laney
  • John Stennis
  • James Eastland
  • Allen Ellender
  • Russell Long
  • John Sparkman
  • John McClellan
  • Richard Russell
  • Herman Talmadge
  • George Wallace
  • Lester Maddox
  • John Rarick
  • Robert Byrd
  • Al Gore, Sr.
  • Bull Connor
Everyone of the above bigoted Democrats remained Democrats until the day they died.
The Democratic party is still the same dregs they always were, except they've hired slick publicists, taken over 95% of main stream media, and had their wool skins fitted so they can roam amongst the sheep.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,562 times
Not as long as celebritards and other libs in select areas of cities continue to belittle hardworking family oriented Americans all over the country

Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Based on what?

Please - analyze and compare Fox News and MSNBC.

Prove to me that you are operating on more than just political ideology.
Let me tackle this for starters:

FOX contributors who are left of middle:

Juan Williams
Kirston Powers
Bob Beckel
Lis Wiehl
Alan Colmes
Geraldo though he is a Republican
Shepard Smith
Dennis Kucinich (just signed with FOX)
All these listed are regular contributors, not just fly by night ones. There are several more, if you need more proof...

Now can you come anywhere close to matching this list: those who are to the right and are regular contributors to MSNBC?

Harrier, I didn't mean this to be directed to you: I know we are on the same wave lengths. I was referring to Logline's comments.

Last edited by nmnita; 01-22-2013 at 02:22 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 02:18 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The Democratic party is still the same dregs they always were, except they've hired slick publicists, taken over 95% of main stream media, and had their wool skins fitted so they can roam amongst the sheep.
Indeed, and it is the same revisionist history they try to pull with "McCarthyism." They pretend how "evil" he was, yet they fail to acknowledge that it was the House Un-American Activities Committee that crossed the line and violated individual free speech and freedom of association, not Senator Joseph McCarthy. It was the Democrats who controlled the House and trampled on individual rights, not Joseph McCarthy who kept his investigations solely within government. Obviously Senator McCarthy had absolutely nothing to do with the Democrat controlled House Un-American Activities Committee.

The Democratic Party is, and has always been, the fascist party in the US. Obama demonstrates that today with his dictatorship through Executive Orders. Democrats have no qualms with violating the US Constitution, they view it as an impediment to their ultimate goal of destroying the US.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:29 PM

and Move on and Soros do not do the same? There are both sides, we all know that, overall, the main stream media is thought to be to the left..I don't care if it is a major print publication, the net or cable TV..of even the drive by networks and PBS...Do you really believe they do not lean left? CNN might be the one exception..Most of the examples you have given come from very left wing sources...

Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It is ingrained from our birth. Witness the Federalists vs. the Anti-federalists over our Constitution, the Democratic revolutions during President Jefferson's and President Jackson's terms, and our Civil War.

President Washington warned about political division, yet politics is naturally combative.

I think that it is a good thing - similar to "combative" sports like American football.

It provides a safe outlet for pent up aggression.

By the way - liberals want to attack their opposition - Republicans only want to unify and stengthen the republic.
There are always different sides in politics. What amazes me greatly is that in the U.S. there are only 2. Any others are pretty much powerless.

This is due to the Electoral College system, which works on a winner take all system, not to mention devalues the votes of each individual voter. I was pretty shocked when I moved abroad, to find out that other advanced nations didn't reduce their individual voters' votes via an Electoral College sort of system.

The Electoral College came to be because the powerful and rich "founders" (I hate this word) of the U.S. were afraid of the ordinary people having individual votes. These founders were actually pretty terrified of democracy, and felt that individual votes would be, as Tocqueville called it, a "tyranny of the majority." They therefore cut the legs off voters by reducing their vote via the Electoral College, and giving the Electoral College.

As for liberals attacking the opposition - I've always wondered why is it that Republicans spend their life accusing others of doing what they (Republicans) are most well-known for.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 PM

326 posts, read 672,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
First of all, we do live in the greatest country in the world. Second, if you really think FOX is more right than networks like MSNBC lean left you haven't watched either of them very closely. This has been discussed here time and time again, but why don't you tell us what contributors to MSNBC are right wing? I can name 10 left wing contributors to FOX...

Now as for hatred, there is plenty to go around and with few exceptions, most people who live in our country,who post here, etc are fair and are not extreme. We also have different views, some are athiests, some agnostics and some believe in God, these views cross over party lines.

Maybe you are seeing things from a different angle than we, as Americans see things. I know I couldn't begin to even voice an opinion on German politics, not living in the country..
I have lived in the States, have friends and family there. Not like I form my opinons based on internet research only. I do agree though that such forums tend to get the more extreme views that are not representative of the average citizen (if such a thing exists)

By the way, and I know it has been discussed elsewhere: Following your own logic: How can you be so sure that the US is the greatest country in the world. Not saying it isn't but I think that's a bit of an impossible statement to make without knowing every other country as well as your own.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
I have lived in the States, have friends and family there. Not like I form my opinons based on internet research only. Ii do agree though that such forums tend to get the more extreme views that are not representative of the average citiyen (if uch a thing exists)

By the way, and I know it has been discussed elsewhere: Following your own logic: How can you be so sure that the US is the greatest country in the world. Not saying it isn't but I think that's a bit of an impossible statement to make without knowing every other country as well as your own.
I don't know, I personally think Germany is the best country right now. Your culture is far superior to ours right now, musically, tv, family etc. Economically as well. Love Germany

Switzerland and Austria are wonderful as well

Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Thank the Greatest divider of all time and his minions.
Who Bull Connor, George wallace?

I know you don't mean this? You mad?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies