Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:17 PM

26,543 posts, read 14,341,982 times

Advertisements

.... and i agree with the former SoS.

“Republicans have to stop buying into things that demonize the president. I mean, why aren’t Republican leaders shouting out about all this birther nonsense and all these other things? They should speak out. This is the kind of intolerance that I’ve been talking about where these idiot presentations continue to be made and you don’t see the senior leadership of the party say, ‘No, that’s wrong.’ In fact, sometimes by not speaking out, they’re encouraging it. And the base keeps buying the stuff.

And it’s killing the base of the party. I mean, 26 percent favorability rating for the party right now. It ought to be telling them something. So, instead of attacking me or whoever speaks like I do, look in the mirror and realize, ‘How are we going to win the next election?”

Colin Powell Slams ‘Idiot Presentations’ by Some Republicans, Urges GOP Leaders to ‘Speak Out’ - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 PM

23,318 posts, read 17,004,800 times
So if you are not a democrat or oppose obama you are lumped into the GOP by default???

What is killing the GOP is an absolute void of intelligent strategists and the propagandist main stream media.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:24 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,382,585 times
Default Colin Powell blames birthers for being part of what is "killing" the GOP

He's pointed out part of the GOP's problem. Birthers certainly have done some damage. But so have the religious crackpots, culture warriors, and anti-science idiots.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:29 PM

2,838 posts, read 3,484,133 times
If Barry Goldwater ("Mr. Conservative") knew what these lunatic fringe groups have done to the GOP he'd turn over in his grave.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:33 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,171,501 times
Powell is an idiot... he also thinks if you oppose Obama that you are a racist. Has nothing to do with race.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:33 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,189,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
He's pointed out part of the GOP's problem. Birthers certainly have done some damage. But so have the religious crackpots, culture warriors, and anti-science idiots.
Correct. I'd say it was the tea party which has done more damage, and the tea party is full of birthers, crackpots, culture warriors, etc...

Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,440,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
.... and i agree with the former SoS.

“Republicans have to stop buying into things that demonize the president. I mean, why aren’t Republican leaders shouting out about all this birther nonsense and all these other things? They should speak out. This is the kind of intolerance that I’ve been talking about where these idiot presentations continue to be made and you don’t see the senior leadership of the party say, ‘No, that’s wrong.’ In fact, sometimes by not speaking out, they’re encouraging it. And the base keeps buying the stuff.

And it’s killing the base of the party. I mean, 26 percent favorability rating for the party right now. It ought to be telling them something. So, instead of attacking me or whoever speaks like I do, look in the mirror and realize, ‘How are we going to win the next election?”

Colin Powell Slams ‘Idiot Presentations’ by Some Republicans, Urges GOP Leaders to ‘Speak Out’ - ABC News
Funny how when the Democratic leadership was saying there was a war on women and Republicans wanted people to die in the streets without medicine and wanted to go back to Jim Crow laws, Powell was silent about that extremism. He's always critical of he GOP but I don't see him ever being critical of the other side. I don't know why he even calls himself a Republican anymore. He should just follow Charlie and Arlen and join the Democrat party and be done with it.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:39 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,980,144 times
I respect Colin, but he's beginning to sound more and more like a disgruntled ex employee.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:39 PM

44,996 posts, read 26,154,274 times
Spending money and growing government like democrats is whats killing the gop

Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,042,582 times
It may not be killing the GOP, but it's not doing it any good either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies