U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 PM
 
Location: The Cascade Foothills
10,953 posts, read 8,661,867 times
Reputation: 6459

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
So you assume you know how I feel and then you call me a hypocrite because of your ignorant assumption in the same post? How F'n stupid is that?

I'm all for common sense regulations and I personally don't mind universal background checks to buy any weapon as long as it doesn't include gun registration.
Why not gun registration? What are you hiding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,079,558 times
Reputation: 5740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I grew up with guns. My father was a lifelong hunter (and fisherman).

When I was 14, I even took an NRA hunter safety course.

I used to have a shotgun, which I used to shoot at coyotes who were after my chickens, ducks, and geese (never hit one, though). I gave it to one of my sons when he moved out on his own (because he likes guns more than I do).

I had a 22 revolver, which I also recently gave to my son. I just didn't feel that I needed it - or really wanted it. And, for the record, I bought it at a yard sale.

I actually like to target shoot, but it's not a big deal in my life nor is it something I get a hard on over one way or another. Unlike the gun huggers on this forum.
"
My son used to bring his assault rifle over here occasionally to shoot, but it was so loud and it freaked my animals out so I told him not to anymore. I have some very old animals and their well being is way more important to me than target shooting is. And, yes, I shot that rifle.

I am NOT afraid of guns and I am sick to death of you gun huggers assuming that I am.

What I am afraid of are the idiots who don't want ANY common sense restrictions and oversight on gun ownership.
LMAO. It is amazing that you speak so proudly of your own guns and past ownership of them...but also call those of us who opposed to your own agenda "gun-huggers"? LOL

Could it be you are pulling our legs. Or trying to? Or just a little self-superior about yourself? To be "honest and blunt" And I will gladly publicly apologize if I am wrong...but your whole post rings of BS.

BTW -- what type of "assault rifle" does your son own? Did you make him get rid of it, or does he still have it? If so, why? If not, why not?

Guess what? I dont give a flying rolling donut whether or not you like it or not, in any case. But until you can show how gun control laws actually work? Then the burden is on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
6,976 posts, read 7,748,024 times
Reputation: 5670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Yes, I want background checks on ALL gun sales - private and otherwise. NO ONE walks out of a gun show with a gun without having passed a background check.

I also want very stiff penalties for gun owners who let their guns fall into the hands of the wrong people. If you can't secure your guns in such a way that your crazy kid, or even some stranger breaking into your home, can't get them, then you have no business having them and you should be held accountable if those guns are used to commit a crime. And I'm not talking about a slap on the wrist, either.

There also needs to be some red flag system if someone is all of a sudden buying excessive amounts of weapons and/or ammunition, like the Aurora killer did over the internet.
I support background checks on all gun sales.

As for your idea to impose penalties on people whose firearms are stolen, not a chance I'll support that. There is absolutely no way that anything can be secured so well that it can't be stolen in the average household. None whatsoever. Not to mention that in order to enforce this law, you would need to have a centralized database of people who own firearms.

The red flag system is a possibility, but only if it takes into account the fact that avid target shooters are likely to purchase massive quantities of ammunition due to it being cheaper in bulk pricing. I have a friend whose hobby is varming hunting out in Texas, and he regularly purchases 5000 rounds plus. You would also need to account for collectors and hobbyists who like to have several different varieties of firearm available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Why not gun registration? What are you hiding?
First, explain why we should have to register our firearms. There isn't any reason for anyone to know that I own a firearm except for the dealer who sells it to me and the people I tell about it. None whatsoever. The government already knows that I own it if I have to go through a background check to purchase it, but it doesn't need to go into some centralized database of firearms owners so that we can be treated like Sex Offenders and end up on some sort of registry. Especially when we have newspapers that have shown their willingness to put maps of firearms owners on the internet.

The one and only reason that anyone would want all firearms to be registered is so that there is a centralized database of firearms owners, and I've yet to see any use for that database that isn't shady in some way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:40 PM
 
Location: The Cascade Foothills
10,953 posts, read 8,661,867 times
Reputation: 6459
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LMAO. It is amazing that you speak so proudly of your own guns and past ownership of them...but also call those of us who opposed to your own agenda "gun-huggers"? LOL

Could it be you are pulling our legs. Or trying to? Or just a little self-superior about yourself? To be "honest and blunt" And I will gladly publicly apologize if I am wrong...but your whole post rings of BS.

BTW -- what type of "assault rifle" does your son own? Did you make him get rid of it, or does he still have it? If so, why? If not, why not?

Guess what? I dont give a flying rolling donut whether or not you like it or not, in any case. But until you can show how gun control laws actually work? Then the burden is on you.
My son, who is 22, self-supporting, and does not live with me, actually has two of these guns - one I bought for him for his 18th birthday from a local sporting goods store (Big 5). They are some kind of Russian military rifle, possibly an AR14? I have such little interest in guns that I can't really tell you for sure. He starts talking about guns and it goes in one ear and out the other because I just don't understand the obsession.

And, yes, he had to pass the background check.

When he turned 21, he bought a handgun, although I don't think he has a CCW permit yet.

And guess what? He isn't a paranoid freak who thinks Obama is going to take his guns. In fact, he voted for Obama - twice.

I don't give a flying eff if you think my post is b.s. or not. I stopped caring what paranoid gun huggers thought of me a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:42 PM
 
50,056 posts, read 26,528,397 times
Reputation: 15639
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
People fail to realize this, that as-s hat knew that he would not be challenged on an Army base....

MORE GUN FREE ZONES, MORE GUN FREE ZONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what we need....
So what do you propose? I mean, are you really gonna shoot someone? (no)

I'm not anti-gun, but seriously, the answer is to arm more people? LOL...that's senseless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
66,196 posts, read 33,604,999 times
Reputation: 14157
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It's illegal to drink and be in possession of a handgun.


But not a shotgun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 PM
 
1,597 posts, read 976,116 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
But not a shotgun.
THAT'S why hunting is a sport.

I always wondered about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:50 PM
 
11,780 posts, read 8,565,702 times
Reputation: 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
But not a shotgun.
Hahahaha I'm not sure. The TX conceal carry law didn't say. Maybe one of the local Texans can inform us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,079,558 times
Reputation: 5740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
My son, who is 22, self-supporting, and does not live with me, actually has two of these guns - one I bought for him for his 18th birthday from a local sporting goods store (Big 5). They are some kind of Russian military rifle, possibly an AR14? I have such little interest in guns that I can't really tell you for sure. He starts talking about guns and it goes in one ear and out the other because I just don't understand the obsession.

And, yes, he had to pass the background check.

And guess what? He isn't a paranoid freak who thinks Obama is going to take his guns. In fact, he voted for Obama - twice.

I don't give a flying eff if you think my post is b.s. or not. I stopped caring what paranoid gun huggers thought of me a long time ago.
ROFLMAO I doubt you know how silly you come across. But regardless, what is your point and problem with it all, anyway?

I would suggest you might take your problem up with your son rather than lecturing the rest of us. But that is your business. It only becomes everyone elses when you start pontificating. Or do you just like to stick your nose into other peoples business without a clue as to what you are talking about?

How many law-abiding gun owners have ever committed mass murder in gun-free zone? Why should it matter to you if I sell a gun to my next-door neighbor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
6,976 posts, read 7,748,024 times
Reputation: 5670
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So what do you propose? I mean, are you really gonna shoot someone? (no)

I'm not anti-gun, but seriously, the answer is to arm more people? LOL...that's senseless.
Nobody that I know of is wanting to force anyone to purchase a firearm. Nobody is saying that we need more firearms, especially in the hands of people who aren't capable of handling or don't want the responsibility that goes along with it.

However, the Gun Free Zones law that was originally passed in 1990, struck down by the SCOTUS, and then passed again by including a clause about "interstate commerce" is failed legislation. Here's why:

From 1970 to 1990, there were 34 school shooting in the United States. That averages out to 17 per decade, or 1.7 per year.

From 1990, when the law was originally passed, until now, there have been 74 school shootings. That averages out to 3.21 per year.

Considering that the goal of Gun Free Zones was to make our children safer, it has failed in a rather spectacular fashion, wouldn't you say?

As a side note, there have been school shootings dating back all the way to the 1700s in the United States. I chose to do a comparison of the 20 years prior to the gun ban and the roughly 20 years after the gun ban to give a good representation of the numbers.

Another side note: I don't normally use Wikipedia for a source, and I usually call other people out when they do, but in this case it really was the only place that I could find a concise list of school shootings after checking 3 pages full of search links.

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:11 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top