Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
The street I live on in DC is full of construction right now, so I know its a boom town. Are you suggesting the lost money is going to developers or going to too many contractors? I honestly don't understand what you are implying, so help me here.

Military-Industrial Complex?
I think he's telling you to close the drapes, peek outside (look for a black sedan) check the phone for bugging devices, and hope no black helicopters land on your roof. Oh, and stay away from the windows.

Im already on their list so I don't need to worry much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm not sure if it's because of too many troops....as I understand it, our current force plus the number of living veterans is a costly endeavor that is increasing every year with no end in sight. So much so that the entire Pentagon budget is expected to be consumed in its entirety in about 20 years.

Regarding borrowed funding, i'm not entirely sure how that works either. All I know is that politicians who proclaim that we will realize "savings" by winding down the wars are not being intellectually honest. We don't save money by borrowing less. That's like saying you're saving money because you graduated college and aren't borrowing via student loans anymore.
LOL @ you basically saying that we shouldn't wind down the wars in a roundabout way.

Anything to keep them wars going, huh?

Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL @ you basically saying that we shouldn't wind down the wars in a roundabout way.

Nice selective reading skills you have there....

Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I don't think that's what he's saying, he's saying (correct me if I'm wrong Aero) that the military has had a long-on going problem that hasn't been addressed which is how to pay for such a huge amount of troops and vertarns simultaneously. Veterans cost a lot of money as well do troops, so I can understand his logic behind it. I'm thinking regardless if the we went to war or not, this problem would've occurred considering America really doesn't feel the need to draft troops because so many already want to join the military and are actually enrolled.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Nice selective reading skills you have there....
Quote:
I don't think that's what he's saying, he's saying (correct me if I'm wrong Aero) that the military has had a long-on going problem that hasn't been addressed which is how to pay for such a huge amount of troops and vertarns simultaneously. Veterans cost a lot of money as well do troops, so I can understand his logic behind it. I'm thinking regardless if the we went to war or not, this problem would've occurred considering America really doesn't feel the need to draft troops because so many already want to join the military and are actually enrolled.
The history of the poster must be considered.

I'll stick to my guns until he tells me otherwise.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:59 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,741 times
Quote:
Where do you get that veterans cost a lot of money? I'm a retired veteran and only get around 13K a year, but that comes from the VA. My wife is a veteran of 21 years and she only gets paid around 17k a year.

Most of the money that is spent in the DOD is on paperwork. I remember having to throw away $150 dollar wrenches because of broken 50 cent parts. Why? Because the paperwork that I had to fill out and send down to supply was estimated to cost the military $250 to process.

How is this possible you ask? It is because of the rules that congress placed on us. If you owned a shop and a 50 cent part broke on your wrench you just go out and buy the part right? Well we can't do that. Each time the military needs to buy something they have to put it out there for lowest bids in an effort to save money, the problem is of course someone has to prepare the paper work to announce that bids are being accepted, someone has to determine which bid is lowest, someone has to make sure that the military has bought enough parts from minority business owners this year, and then finally someone has to actually do the buying. Meanwhile the piece of equipment that is broke is still sitting on a shelf waiting, while the piece of equipment that depends on the broke stuff now can't be used, etc. etc.

And a final story to make you shake your head, we had a piece of electronic equipment that was down because of batteries. There were no batteries on this small base to be had (I have no idea how a supply section can run out of D-cell batteries but they did). We needed this equipment to calibrate a part that was used to help track the space shuttle so I figured it was important. I said screw it, when and bought a 4 pack of D-cell batteries and got the job done. Did I get a thank you? Did I get a medal? Nope, I almost got an article 15 since I broke military guidelines by not allowing a contractor the chance to place a bid! My supervisors made up a song and dance to cover my assets so to speak and I learned not to stick my head out anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies