Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 08:01 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
I don't propose solutions. Things are the way they are and we will live, or not, with consequences. People who did not matter and had no say in things now have power. That is the way this works in our system. Look at the conversations on this site and how "ugly" they get. Same thing happens in large political groups and in congress itself. No compromise. My way or no way. No one is willing to give anything for the greater good. It is winners and losers and very little middle ground.

If someone disagrees, they get labeled extremist, racist, something phobic, monster, scum, (pick your favorite).

So, no, I have no solutions. I do not think there is strength in diversity but diversity is a fact of life here. We fool ourselves that somehow we will get through this mess because, well because we always have.

I hope I'm wrong for the sake of my own children, but I think I'm right.

I rarely see any solutions offered anywhere here. It is name calling. Rants. Random ideas with no basis in fact.
So basically, what you're saying is someone like me being here is a bad thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 08:08 PM

62,931 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
I don't propose solutions. Things are the way they are and we will live, or not, with consequences. People who did not matter and had no say in things now have power. That is the way this works in our system. Look at the conversations on this site and how "ugly" they get. Same thing happens in large political groups and in congress itself. No compromise. My way or no way. No one is willing to give anything for the greater good. It is winners and losers and very little middle ground.

If someone disagrees, they get labeled extremist, racist, something phobic, monster, scum, (pick your favorite).

So, no, I have no solutions. I do not think there is strength in diversity but diversity is a fact of life here. We fool ourselves that somehow we will get through this mess because, well because we always have.

I hope I'm wrong for the sake of my own children, but I think I'm right.

I rarely see any solutions offered anywhere here. It is name calling. Rants. Random ideas with no basis in fact.
The left are the biggest offenders of throwing out nasty insults. The few you mentioned in your post are some of their favorites. They just can't debate with civility.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:47 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
So basically, what you're saying is someone like me being here is a bad thing?
I've not a clue what you mean by that statement. Clearly, you are "here" a lot and if that floats your boat, have at it. I'm not the controller. If you are a name caller, a "screamer" and I don't know if you are or not. I don't keep up with who posts what here. I don't care.

But what I am saying, again, is this. I do not believe there are solutions to our problems as a nation or a society. There are too many special interests pulling in too many directions. There are too many overwhelming issues on the table. Violence, drugs, failing education system, failing economy, failing families, extremism (religious, secular, ethical), infrastructure failing, health insurance and health issues (diabetes, obesity), mental health---you can add to the list I'm sure.

But, I don't know you so I cannot, and would not anyway, comment why your being here is a bad thing. Irrelevant.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Hell, why stop with the ghetto people? Most of your trailer trash doesn't even know what their neighboring states are like much less any foreign countries. Travel opens the mind for everyone.
I agree.

Of course, then the question is how to encourage travel without growing the government.

On another note, could some math wiz calculate the odds of the libertarian party winning a presidential election?

Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Republicans are in disarray because they are losing. Democrats are winning because they keep promising free stuff to people. Sooner or later democrats will run out of other peoples money to spend. When they people stop getting free stuff, democrats will lose their popularity.

Eventually the pendulum will swing back.
So you think the only reason people have turned their back on the Republican party is because the Democrats promise free stuff? I think your denial of reality is sad.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
I've not a clue what you mean by that statement. Clearly, you are "here" a lot and if that floats your boat, have at it. I'm not the controller. If you are a name caller, a "screamer" and I don't know if you are or not. I don't keep up with who posts what here. I don't care.

But what I am saying, again, is this. I do not believe there are solutions to our problems as a nation or a society. There are too many special interests pulling in too many directions. There are too many overwhelming issues on the table. Violence, drugs, failing education system, failing economy, failing families, extremism (religious, secular, ethical), infrastructure failing, health insurance and health issues (diabetes, obesity), mental health---you can add to the list I'm sure.

But, I don't know you so I cannot, and would not anyway, comment why your being here is a bad thing. Irrelevant.
My response was in response to your statement about diversity. I would be considered part of that "diversity" as I am Black.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:17 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,481 times
In government, less is more.

None, however, will remain none.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:04 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My response was in response to your statement about diversity. I would be considered part of that "diversity" as I am Black.

Your race is completely irrelevant to me in my opinion of our dismal national future. Either you read something in my posts that wasn't there or you misunderstood it altogether.

It is my considered opinion based on history that the vast majority of problems faced by black people originated with white ones. In my study of history (my degree) I never came across any evidence that the first load of blacks people arrived on these shores voluntarily and asked the first white man they came across if they could work for him for free and btw feel free to beat us, kill us, maim us, rape our women, divide our families etc. If someone wants to talk "blowback", e.g. Ron Paul, slavery is the epitome of blowback. History is important to people. But so few know a thing about it or think it just doesn't matter. It most certainly does.

In my world, I figure the history of various groups into the equation of national life. Slavery and treatment of blacks since plays into it.

Don't for a moment think I am pandering to you. I don't know you. You might be a fine, ethical person or you might be something else. I look at the world as it exists and our national situation as it exists, not how I want it to be.

Consider the congressional black caucus. Of course they focus on black issues. Who can blame them. Were I black, I would. But enough on that.

Our national problems are horrendous and it matters not where you are on this boat when it goes under--we all drown. I see no signs of pulling together. Of agreeing on useful measures to avert catastrophe. What comes, comes.

As for diversity, it isn't just race, ethnic groups it is also many others groups such as gun/anti-gun; Christian/atheist; poor/rich; and many, many more. As such, diversity is a problem. It makes it difficult to get anything done.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:47 PM

7,500 posts, read 5,749,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I believe the GOP will go the way of the Whigs. It's a largely unpopular party and it's a dying class-- they seem to frustrate more Americans by the coming day.

I personally believe we're headed into a one party system, the GOP's becoming weaker at the federal level and eventually I think the Democrat party as it becomes larger and more polarized will split into two: a liberal and a moderate system.

Anyone else feeling this?
Liberals tend to forget their Fuhrer only won by 3% points.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 AM

502 posts, read 717,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Liberals tend to forget their Fuhrer only won by 3% points.
These chicken-little liberal wet dream rants of a dying GOP are too funny!! Weren't Karl Rove and rightists saying the same thing about Democrats 10-15 years ago??? America is a 2 party system: coke or pepsi, always has been and always will be as long as America is around. Both of these parties are massive, have massive swaths of sheep who will vote for them like clockwork, they are both massively funded, and are both in the BUSINESS of winning elections. When the scale starts to slide slightly away from them, they wisely counter by sucking up to the public trends, the snarly lobbyists and the corporate overlords with a slick new package to win new voters and keep their constituents happy. The Republicans will evolve, all of them know it. Gingrich knows it. Preibus knows in. Rove knows it. Koch Brothers know it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies