Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 06:41 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,331 times

Advertisements

2A supporters; Watch closely, this is the way the anti-gunners will phrase the debate.
Watch as this hero challenges their assertions. It’s a lesson to us all.
20 seconds in is where the Veteran takes over, enjoy!

Anti 2A losers, are you prepared to go to war against this man? You will lose badly!
Take note how many are applauding his comments. These are true Americans!

Veteran Stands Up For 2nd Amendment At Chicago Anti-Gun Forum - YouTube!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
"It is us against them"

"Tyranny is a threat today, as it was at the turn of the 19th Century and the 18th and 17th centuries"

GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Shall not be infringed upon.........
Come and Take It

Old 01-23-2013, 07:39 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Look, generally when the supreme court decides on case, the interpret the constitution based on the context of the words, and the founders meanings.

When this document was written, we did not have a standing army of considerable size. So in order to keep the country safe, all men were allowed to have guns, and no state could infringe on that right because it hurt national defense. It was also felt that a well armed populace could keep a tyrannical government in check, because the government had no military and the citizens were far better armed and had the numbers to keep the cederal power in check.

Fast forward to 1939. Americas war efforts until this time consisted of, starting wars, building a military, fighting the war, then dismantling that military when it was over. We were not a global super power, we were not foreign occupiers, the only large military forces we kept was the navy, and it was woefully unprepared for the world of 1939.

After the Japanese attacked, and the development of aircraft, the nuclear bomb, we became a super power, and the world had changed with large strategic threats that needed a large standing army and military to ward off possible invasion. Jefferson wrote that threat of invasion has always been used by governments to surpress the will of the people and expand government power. He was right for the 18th century, but he and the other founders had no idea of what the future held.

When they wrote the bill of rights as an amendment, they were talking about muskets, an equal weapon to the military at the time. No one is going to buy a atomic bomb of a fleet of f35s for home defense today.

Times have changed. I want my guns, justice scalia has written you have every right to a pistol or shotgun, or even a rifle for home defense. You don't need a 30 round magazine for home defense. You don't need to not have background checks run when you want to buy a gun. In my personal opinion, when a child takes their parents guns and kills people at school, or wherever, the shooters parents with unsecured weapons should be tried for negligent homicide. But the second amendment is as antiquated as quartering soldiers.

The same folks who scream about this are fine with infringement of free speech, freedom from search and seizure without due process, etc, and don't seem to mind giving up those freedoms.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Look, generally when the supreme court decides on case, the interpret the constitution based on the context of the words, and the founders meanings.

When this document was written, we did not have a standing army of considerable size. So in order to keep the country safe, all men were allowed to have guns, and no state could infringe on that right because it hurt national defense. It was also felt that a well armed populace could keep a tyrannical government in check, because the government had no military and the citizens were far better armed and had the numbers to keep the cederal power in check.

Fast forward to 1939. Americas war efforts until this time consisted of, starting wars, building a military, fighting the war, then dismantling that military when it was over. We were not a global super power, we were not foreign occupiers, the only large military forces we kept was the navy, and it was woefully unprepared for the world of 1939.

After the Japanese attacked, and the development of aircraft, the nuclear bomb, we became a super power, and the world had changed with large strategic threats that needed a large standing army and military to ward off possible invasion. Jefferson wrote that threat of invasion has always been used by governments to surpress the will of the people and expand government power. He was right for the 18th century, but he and the other founders had no idea of what the future held.

When they wrote the bill of rights as an amendment, they were talking about muskets, an equal weapon to the military at the time. No one is going to buy a atomic bomb of a fleet of f35s for home defense today.

Times have changed. I want my guns, justice scalia has written you have every right to a pistol or shotgun, or even a rifle for home defense. You don't need a 30 round magazine for home defense. You don't need to not have background checks run when you want to buy a gun. In my personal opinion, when a child takes their parents guns and kills people at school, or wherever, the shooters parents with unsecured weapons should be tried for negligent homicide. But the second amendment is as antiquated as quartering soldiers.

The same folks who scream about this are fine with infringement of free speech, freedom from search and seizure without due process, etc, and don't seem to mind giving up those freedoms.

When tyranny has a sub machine gun, you will have a single shot pea shooter?

I see, my follower.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When tyranny has a sub machine gun, you will have a single shot pea shooter?

I see, my follower.
First, what tyranny are you speaking of.

Second, the government has laser guided munitions and nuclear bombs. The best assault weapon on full auto can't stop that.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:33 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Good for him for standing up for the 2nd, now where the hell was he when Arizona passed their "show me your papers" law .

Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Good for him for standing up for the 2nd, now where the hell was he when Arizona passed their "show me your papers" law .
We're talking about real things, not some made up left wing buzz term. There isn't and never was a "show me your papers" law.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
We're talking about real things, not some made up left wing buzz term. There isn't and never was a "show me your papers" law.
Said it before, say it again. The right loves the 2nd, but hates the rest of the bill of rights.

Many parts of Arizona's original law violated 4th amendment, the courts have ruled.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Said it before, say it again. The right loves the 2nd, but hates the rest of the bill of rights.

Many parts of Arizona's original law violated 4th amendment, the courts have ruled.

There is some truth to this, but by the same token, the left hates all of the bill of rights, including the 2nd Amendment. The 4th Amendment is basically null and void; federal agents now insist that they can touch our junk, read our emails, monitor our bank accounts, etc.

It's certainly true that some of this came out of Republican quarters, but also it was generally embraced by Democrats too. What did Obama-Reid-Pelosi do to restore the 4th from 2008-2010 when they had full control? Answer: zip, zero, nada.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Start your own thread about AZ, this is about the 2nd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies