Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No, they weren't.

Remington firearms plant down the road from my hometown, and you don't think some leave the plant without purchase?

Lol. That's funny.
Are you accusing the factory workers of stealing guns from the Remington plant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Are you accusing the factory workers of stealing guns from the Remington plant?
Who says the management doesn't know about it?

Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Universal checks is almost certain to pass, It is just common sense to have gun purchasers prove they have a legal right to purchase before they do. It is hard to say how it will work in private sales, though. Registration by owner seems a requisite condition for that. It would be like licensing cars, I suppose. I don't think anyone believes the requirement to license a vehicle inhibits their "right" to own one.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Who says the management doesn't know about it?
If management authorizes the transaction then it's a perfectly legal handover as Remington owns her guns.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Universal checks is almost certain to pass, It is just common sense to have gun purchasers prove they have a legal right to purchase before they do. It is hard to say how it will work in private sales, though. Registration by owner seems a requisite condition for that. It would be like licensing cars, I suppose. I don't think anyone believes the requirement to license a vehicle inhibits their "right" to own one.
Owning a gun is a right for every man as is selling his property. This law will be unenforceable.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I support the individual ownership of all, including full automatic, firearms by any citizen not a convicted violent criminal or found to be irresponsible due to insanity. I support having a background check to certify that a gun purchaser is a sane, non criminal citizen. I also support a Federal recognition of all concealed carry permits issued by any state allowing a person to carry a concealed gun wherever they have a legal right to be with very few restrictions such as court rooms, legislatures, and places selling alcohol for on site consumption.

However, I do not want the government or anyone else to have a list of who owns what firearm. That should be protected by individual privacy. The recent release of gun owner’s names and addresses in NY should have never happened. It only provides a shopping list for gun thieves. It also provides a list for local tyrants such as the New Orleans Police to confiscate guns during an emergency such as hurricane Katrina. That should also never happen.
How is that any different than a gov't database of who owns what car?

Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 AM

255 posts, read 464,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
All this will accomplish is further expanding the government and allowing a pretext for future gun restrictions. I also don't believe for a second 92% of people favor registration. The media are proven liars as are pollsters.
Oh, I'd probably believe it.

This whole "gun control" thing has convinced me that a HUGE portion of America, particularly women, is absolutely totally ignorant about firearms. They're all running around screaming about "assault weapons" and you can't even buy anything that would classify as an "assault weapon". Not unless your definition is (as theirs seems to be) "scary looking gun".

Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 AM

255 posts, read 464,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
How is that any different than a gov't database of who owns what car?
You don't operate a gun on public highways
Cars aren't protected by the 2nd Amendment

Any other questions?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
Oh, I'd probably believe it.

This whole "gun control" thing has convinced me that a HUGE portion of America, particularly women, is absolutely totally ignorant about firearms. They're all running around screaming about "assault weapons" and you can't even buy anything that would classify as an "assault weapon". Not unless your definition is (as theirs seems to be) "scary looking gun".
The majority of women will never truly understand the concept of self-defense as they instinctually seek protection from their mate and society in general. This is why I largely ignore women's opinions on guns. It would be like me giving opinion on female issues like breast feeding or their period.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:03 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
You don't operate a gun on public highways
Cars aren't protected by the 2nd Amendment

Any other questions?
Is it an invasion of privacy or not? And if it is, how is a gov't database on who owns what car not an invasion of privacy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies