Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should businesses be required by law to offer spousal benefits to same sex partners?
Yes 39 41.49%
No 55 58.51%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 06:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times

Advertisements

The question speaks for itself. Should the government force private businesses to offer spousal benefits to same sex domestic partners/spouses? Keep in mind this is independent of your same sex marriage position. This is only concerning whether private businesses should be forced to offer benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 06:21 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
I don't think the Gov should force anything, but companies should be allowed to offer insurance to married same sex couples.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I don't think the Gov should force anything, but companies should be allowed to offer insurance to married same sex couples.
Agreed, but should a religious company like Chick-Fil-A or Hobby Lobby be allowed to deny it?

Old 01-23-2013, 06:22 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
If they offer it to heterosexual couples, yes.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
The inequality in this is astounding. I can be a gay man and have my "partner" on my medical/dental benefits. Yet, be a straight man and not have my girlfriend on my benefits. Oh, but we can get married you say? Ok. Yes. However, once gay marriage is legal, there will still be no requirement for gay persons to be married, before they can tag onto benefits. Its completely wrong.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
The inequality in this is astounding. I can be a gay man and have my "partner" on my medical/dental benefits. Yet, be a straight man and not have my girlfriend on my benefits. Oh, but we can get married you say? Ok. Yes. However, once gay marriage is legal, there will still be no requirement for gay persons to be married, before they can tag onto benefits. Its completely wrong.
I never thought of that. I know a lot of businesses even today offer same-sex domestic partner benefits.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed, but should a religious company like Chick-Fil-A or Hobby Lobby be allowed to deny it?
How many gay people do you think work at Chick Fil A? That policy seems discriminatory. Either offer benefits or don't. but it doesn't make sense to exclude gays - they aren't going to get pregnant and I know pregnancy is $$$$.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:30 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
Quote:
The question speaks for itself. Should the government force private businesses to offer spousal benefits to same sex domestic partners/spouses? Keep in mind this is independent of your same sex marriage position. This is only concerning whether private businesses should be forced to offer benefits.
I say no but in reality that is what supporters of gay marriage want is the federal gvt or the SC to settle the issue. It is all about force where the corporations and the federal gvt will have to give same sex couples the same benefit packages they offer straights.

When there is a action there will be a reaction and some corporations will only offer the employee benefits and none to the family. Of course our gvt is stupid and will pander but it won't matter we are about to implode anyway. The gay marriage crowd is too late for the party they should have started 40 years ago when the getting was good not much booty left now.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:30 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
(In the absence of a right to marry...)should the government force private businesses to offer spousal benefits to same sex domestic partners/spouses?
YES. But I'm opposed to spousal benefits for hetero couples as well.
(btw...You can't separate the two)

You want spousal benefits? Get married.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Can the government force private businesses to support homosexual lifestyle? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies