Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,892,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

But you surely ARE making an exception if you're not holding people of different ages to the same standard, right?
You are, but I am asking, why aren't men and women of the SAME age held to the SAME standard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 10:18 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,292,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
No, but many have debated that we should hold everyone to the same standard. How are women going to fireman carry their injured male counterparts from the front lines if they can't even do pushups?
Well, those two activities use different muscles.

And if we should hold everyone to the same standard then shouldn't we hold everyone to the same standard, regardless of age?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
You are, but I am asking, why aren't men and women of the SAME age held to the SAME standard?
For the same reason that we don't hold everyone to the same standard regardless of age?

Now, why is it so terrible to hold women to a different standard than a man, but it's no problem at all to hold one man to a different standard than another man?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Well, those two activities use different muscles.

And if we should hold everyone to the same standard then shouldn't we hold everyone to the same standard, regardless of age?
Yes we should hold everyone to the same standard regardless of age. Now your turn, should we hold everyone to the same standard regardless of gender? Do you believe in equality?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 PM

408 posts, read 607,044 times
Quote:
No, but many have debated that we should hold everyone to the same standard. How are women going to fireman carry their injured male counterparts from the front lines if they can't even do pushups?

Women accept that this is the case. Do you see women up in arms over not being on the battlefield in Iraq? Some things will favor men for obvious reasons, and I don't see moderate feminists arguing against it.

I agree that in certain situations physical health evaluations should be close to parity, but really, in today's world, what is brute strength required for? I wouldn't jump an armed female cop anymore than I would a male.

In high-risk environments, society accepts that men will be heavily favored. This is in part because women are a much more valuable demographic asset. You only need one man to supply the entire united states with a future generation. But for each baby, you need one woman.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
Women accept that this is the case. Do you see women up in arms over not being on the battlefield in Iraq? Some things will favor men for obvious reasons, and I don't see moderate feminists arguing against it.

I agree that in certain situations physical health evaluations should be close to parity, but really, in today's world, what is brute strength required for? I wouldn't jump an armed female cop anymore than I would a male.

In high-risk environments, society accepts that men will be heavily favored. This is in part because women are a much more valuable demographic asset. You only need one man to supply the entire united states with a future generation. But for each baby, you need one woman.
I don't know. Breaking into Bin Laden's compound, engaging in a combination of hand to hand combat and gun fight, assassinating him, dragging his body out of the compound and throwing it onto a boat to bury him at sea.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Yes we should hold everyone to the same standard regardless of age.
So, where's your thread about that?

I'm sure you're not, but you come off as either an imbecile or a misogynist when you make a big deal about women not having to meet standards but say nothing about the difference in age.

Quote:
Now your turn, should we hold everyone to the same standard regardless of gender? Do you believe in equality?
Quote:
As for the training requirements, women should certainly have to meet the same requirements as men if they are training for the same positions. And those requirements should actually be related to the duties of that position.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
So, where's your thread about that?

I'm sure you're not, but you come off as either an imbecile or a misogynist when you make a big deal about women not having to meet standards but say nothing about the difference in age.
How is holding women to the same standards as men misogynistic? I don't understand. Isn't that true equality?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
How is holding women to the same standards as men misogynistic? I don't understand.
It's obvious that you don't understand.

Perhaps you should read the entire sentence.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,796,855 times
Its called reverse discrimination really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies